Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Graduate players transferring
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 4,895

Graduate players transferring

Feb 12, 2015, 10:37 AM

I agree with FCS coaches, the rule is BS. Case in point, the EWU QB transferring to Oregon. Oregon had no interest in the kid coming out of high school, EWU put him through their weight training and develops the kid into a quality QB.... and now he will be starting AGAINST EWU when they play Oregon. Even the move of Wilson to Wisconsin. In theory it was a great plan but now its being taken advantage of by teams that failed to properply recruit.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Graduate players transferring

Feb 12, 2015, 10:41 AM

You mention Wilson, CLEMSON had a chance to get Wilson and we chose to stick with Boyd. I guess we missed the boat on that one. There were lots of us that wanted Wilson to come to CLEMSON. Maybe he didn't want to come, but I don't think we showed any interest. I call that a FAIL on our part.

Feb 12, 2015, 10:45 AM

never wanted Wilson @ Clemson... we just was not good Q/B @ State.. TB was/is better

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2015, 12:41 PM

He was a very good QB at NC State, he just didn't have much around him in the way of talent or coaches. He would have thrived in our system.

It would have been pretty interesting had he come here for a year under Chad, but in all honesty I think Chad felt comfortable with what he had in Tajh. It worked pretty well with Tajh even if we never made it to the promised land.

i don't think his release from ncst would allow him to

Feb 12, 2015, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Graduate players transferring ]

transfer to clemson or any team on ncst's schedule[perhaps any acc school?].

if that's the case, hard to hold that against clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there is no release restrictions on graduates with

Feb 12, 2015, 12:35 PM

eligibility except that the school they go to must have a graduate program not offered by the school they graduated from

Re: there is no release restrictions on graduates with

Feb 12, 2015, 12:36 PM

http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/7-6-2011-russell-wilson-column

not the only place that reported it

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is different; this implies he was released before he

Feb 12, 2015, 1:12 PM

graduated; if that was the case then sure there are restrictions; always thought RW got his undergrad at NCSU perhaps not or perhaps it was after release-- in fact I think the article is incorrect as if he had transferred without graduating he would have been force to sit a year; in any case, if a player has graduated and has eligibility left, he can go to any school that offers a grad program not offered by current school

Re: this is different; this implies he was released before he

Feb 12, 2015, 1:12 PM

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

how about the rules then?

photo rules_zps229fec13.jpg

Because the one-time transfer exception requires you to get a release, what will happen with your scholarship is generally just an administrative detail.

Re: this is different; this implies he was released before he

Feb 12, 2015, 1:50 PM

Transfer rules

As it stands, players must sit out one year when transferring if they don’t receive a waiver from the NCAA. The lone exception is the graduate transfer rule, which allows players to be eligible immediately if they have already graduated and are pursuing degrees that their schools don't offer.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/21/5610872/ncaa-changes-union-lawsuits-obannon-kessler

and? everything provided shows a release was required

Feb 12, 2015, 2:06 PM

and as a result, that release did not let him transfer to a particular school or schools, in this case - Clemson.

the "exception(s)" that provides is to the rule that requires athletes to sit out one year.

he didn't want to transfer to CU-- it made no sense

Feb 13, 2015, 9:56 AM

had he wanted to and the coaches wanted him, NCSU could have done nothing about it had he graduated and enrolled in a graduate program at CU not offered by NCSU

all i've asked for is something that shows that the

Feb 13, 2015, 10:02 AM

rules provided for what you're suggesting yet you've offered nothing contrary from any outside source.

i don't care either way, i really don't, but you keep saying the same thing with no source or support and it's getting a little boring.

if you don't have anything beyond what you're shoveling, then this is absurd and a waste of both our time because you just keep repeating yourself.

again, idc either way.

Also remember, he didn't seek to transfer, he was cut

Feb 12, 2015, 6:58 PM [ in reply to i don't think his release from ncst would allow him to ]

Tom O'Brien, for right or wrong, gave Russell Wilson an "Either you are 100% committed to this football team and you'll stop playing baseball or you're not on the team any more" ultimatum. Wilson continued to play baseball, O'Brien dismissed him. The circumstances were different than just a straight up transfer.

If you remember, this was the same time Kyle Parker was playing both sports and there was a lot of talk about the potential of having two players from the ACC drafted in both sports. Parker moved in to playing only baseball after his less-than-stellar final year, Wilson moved on to Wisconsin. Oh well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

haha. no doubt & worse, glennon was scheduled to graduate

Feb 12, 2015, 8:24 PM

as well, which meant he would be eligible for the graduate transfer exception too. o'brien was in a bit of a pickle looking to lose one or both not named the starter. i never "blamed" him from trying to get russell to focus solely on football. o'brien had a greater obligation to the whole team and he felt he was honoring that by deciding on a full time, football dedicated qb with 2 years of eligibility left.

it was an interesting situation. i do understand russell would have been exempt from the conference rules[some conferences have them] governing transfers from one acc team to another. still, the ncaa rules appear to require the release as wilson was or was to be under scholarship, which was granted/completed[his eligibility clock doesn't stop]. i've seen releases with stipulations[destination school restrictions] and those with none, but in some cases where conference rules mandate, a "limited[destination] or non-limited release" from a particular university would not matter any way as the conference rules hold sway.

i can't find an exception to the release or if in fact that release has no limitations by rule ie where russell[or anyone in the situation] could transfer, but the story from that particular time suggests it did.

who knows, russell wanted a transfer into a situation with the best situation not only for his particular graduate program, but with a sincere opportunity at first team snaps and wisconsin was it.

Boyd was better at Clemson every year he was here vs.

Feb 12, 2015, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Graduate players transferring ]

Wilson at NCSU. Yes, he did great at Wisconsin but at Clemson we don't do a lot of mercenary recruiting...we develop relationships with our recruits and develop our players. Even if you think we should have gone after Wilson (and as said before, it's unclear if we were permitted to do so), there was no indication that he would perform better than the QB who had already committed to our program for his full college career. Even Wilson's great performance at Wisconsin doesn't guarantee that it would have happened at Clemson. So, you might not like it, but hardly a glaring "miss" by the coaches.

null

Who wanted Wilson?

Feb 12, 2015, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Graduate players transferring ]

Clemson beat Wilson every time they faced him.

I like it. Let them get the education they want.

Feb 12, 2015, 10:44 AM

Looks like EWU got a couple conference championships with this kid as QB. Good for them. He's a student. Let him go where he wants for his graduate studies.

null

Yeah, bc these moves are about "education"

Feb 12, 2015, 10:55 AM

So what if they aren't? This rule allows the student

Feb 12, 2015, 11:00 AM

athlete the opportunity to get the education they want. He earned a degree at EWU and wants to go to Grad School somewhere else. Is this really such a travesty that he's transferring to a bigger-name school? Does EWU really want a kid to HAVE to continue to get his graduate education at EWU? Geez. As someone who routinely sides AGAINST the player in these discussions, even I think that's selfish on the part of the University.

null

Like YOU said, its mercenary recruiting

Feb 12, 2015, 11:02 AM

and IMO thats wrong.

Re: Like YOU said, its mercenary recruiting

Feb 12, 2015, 11:24 AM

> and IMO thats wrong.

Bunk. If Oregon called that Eastern Washington coach up and offered him a job making 3x more than he was making, you think he'd curse the Beavers for "mercenary hiring" and rebuff them out of principle because FCS is not a "farm league" for future FBS coaches?

Yeah, I don't think so either. And it's the height of hypocracy. The coach is demanding control over a player that he himself does not give up, and holding the player to a standard that he himself is not held to. The coach is free to better himself. But the player is not...and that's "right" in anybody's book?

By the way, you also don't see FCS coaches complaining about the number of former FBS player transferring DOWN in search of playing time. Those guys are allowed to transfer to FCS without penalty or sitting out a year.

Like I said, in theory its a great idea

Feb 12, 2015, 11:31 AM

But now its turned into a quick fix for poor recruiting. If a DW4 type was to leave us SR year to play for UGA... Who just happened to lose their starting QB and failed to recruit a replacement, you cant tell me you wouldnt change your tune.

Re: Like I said, in theory its a great idea

Feb 12, 2015, 12:23 PM

If a kid has finished his degree, he's a free agent. If he wanted to go somewhere else, I can't see anyone at Clemson standing in his way. That said, it's highly unlikely that a player who's in line for significant playing time is going to transfer from Clemson anywhere. We've seen players who didn't think they were going to play enough or who had issues transfer, but no one who was going to start or even play significantly.

Russell Wilson moved on because his coach wasn't willing to wait for him to decide whether he was going to play college football or professional baseball. He had a pretty solid back up ready to go and thought the younger kid was his future and he was probably right.

Oregon != Beavers.

Feb 12, 2015, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Like YOU said, its mercenary recruiting ]

nm

I like your points, but have oregon beavers? c'mon man.....***

Feb 12, 2015, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Like YOU said, its mercenary recruiting ]

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: Like YOU said, its mercenary recruiting

Feb 12, 2015, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Like YOU said, its mercenary recruiting ]

Bravo! Very, very well said. For some reason people have a problem with players having options.

I did say that and I'm glad Clemson doesn't do it.

Feb 12, 2015, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Like YOU said, its mercenary recruiting ]

That doesn't mean I don't support giving the players the opportunity to go to a different school if they've received their degree and have a year of eligibility left.

null

Feb 12, 2015, 12:00 PM

So, what you're saying is when Russell Wilson is going to be shoved to the side for Glennon, he should have to ride the pine for a year and derail any chance of going to the NFL rather than transfer somewhere he can play?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That or transfer down

Feb 12, 2015, 12:13 PM

If you want to allow kids to transfer without sitting a year bc of education or playing time, why stop at Srs? If a Soph wants to change majors, why not ket him transfer from Vandy to Tenn to fill their vacant MLB spot errr to major in something else.

*let

Feb 12, 2015, 12:14 PM

We don't need anarchy

Feb 12, 2015, 12:28 PM [ in reply to That or transfer down ]

It would do significant damage to the game of college football if players were allowed to transfer whenever they wanted without consequences. Kids who have put in the work to graduate and still have eligibility left have earned the right. They've shown that they're mature enough to make good decisions including where to go to school and where to play football.

That said, I would like to see freshmen and redshirt freshmen have the ability to transfer if their head coach leaves. I don't think we want to open up the flood gates here either, but for the kids who haven't put down roots on campus, they should have the option to change their mind based on new information.

Wilson isn't the best example. He didn't have much of a

Feb 12, 2015, 12:30 PM

choice. state moved on without him so he had to transfer.

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

So FCS should keep the best players for their entire careers

Feb 12, 2015, 2:09 PM

???

FBS level doesn't get to do that, after 3 years the best players can go pro. Why can't the best FCS guys jump up a level if they're good enough??

Going up a level will only benefit this player, he'll get national exposure and have a much better chance of being drafted than if he had stayed at EWU.

You're basically saying he should be banned from pursuing his dreams, and that is the most un-American thing I've ever seen on this site.

Uh they are all Div 1....

Feb 12, 2015, 4:44 PM

And a FCS has the same right to go pro after 3 just like a FBS can

Same right, different exposure***

Feb 13, 2015, 11:55 AM

Not sure I see the issue

Feb 12, 2015, 6:13 PM

I thought FCS could transfer to FBS (and vice-versa) without sitting out a year anyway. I know we've had guys transfer elsewhere and not have to sit out. If that is the case then the graduate rules are irrelevant.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No

Feb 12, 2015, 6:40 PM

Players can transfer down a classification and be immediately eligible, but if they transfer up or within a classification they have to sit a year unless A. the program they are leaving drops the sport B. they are a graduate transfer and the program they are leaving does not offer the graduate course they want to take or C. the NCAA grants a hardship waiver.

Must be some really long range planning

Feb 12, 2015, 6:43 PM

since in order for a graduate to transfer from one school to another the school they are transferring to has to have the courses they want to study while the one they are transferring from doesn't.

Re: Graduate players transferring---"NorthAlabamaTiger "

Feb 13, 2015, 5:07 AM

Don't think you really understand the NCAA rule
NCAA allows a player 5 years at a school 4 years of playing
When a player Graduates NCAA allows them to transfer and play 1 more year
If you really want to be heard beating a drum talking about
Teams recruiting and signing more than the 28 players per year the NCAA has
a rule that addresses.
Besides it should be about a player getting an education
Has been many years now but with the cost of Graduate Schools
if a player can get any financial aid help by playing we should support
the player. Being able to play sports will not last forever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Graduate players transferring---"NorthAlabamaTiger "

Feb 13, 2015, 6:06 AM

They don't get an additional year. What usually happens is they redshirt a year and finish their degree in 3.5 or 4 years. That means they have used 4 years to play 3 leaving them with 1 year left. They can then transfer and use their final year of eligibility. Technically a player could use the graduate transfer rule and play more than one year at the second school depend on how fast he graduates (graduating in 3 years would leave 2 years left to play).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 40
| visibility 4,895
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic