Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Good Place to Stay in The Boston Area for the BC Game???
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Good Place to Stay in The Boston Area for the BC Game???

Jan 17, 2018, 6:08 PM

Can anyone recommend some places to stay when Tigers travel to Chestnut Hill?

Thinking about going.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Holiday Inn Express Brookline. Walking distance

Jan 17, 2018, 6:13 PM

to Fenway, 15 minute train ride to Chestnut Hill.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good Place to Stay in The Boston Area for the BC Game???

Jan 17, 2018, 6:20 PM

Anywhere near an MTA (subway) station. I’ve made the trip 2x—once we stayed by the Boston garden stop, and once by the Prudential center stop. You can take the subway directly from the airport to BC’s campus.

The BC trip is a great one because Clemson people are spread out all across the whole city, and there are constant “Go Tigers!” being exchanged on the subway or walking down the street as you’re doing tourist stuff. Also there are no hostile Home-team fans in Boston because they’re all focused on pro sports and BC’s hockey team.

Jan 17, 2018, 6:32 PM

Stay downtown and enjoy the city. Take the train to and from the game. Boston is a great road trip, although November might be a tad late in the season. Could be COLD.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2018, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Good Place to Stay in The Boston Area for the BC Game??? ]

Hard to chose a place that isn’t good in Boston. Wonderful city with nice folks where ever you go. Stay close to the MTA. Even though Boston is a very big city you can see many of the sites by foot. It might be a good idea to take a carriage OR duck boat tour. They are not expensive. Copley Square is one of the better locations in the city but more pricey than some others. As for me, for years I have stayed out in Cambridge near MIT or Harvard. It’s a young city so if you are more than forty you might feel out of place!!! I do.
Fenway is a great tour but in November you will not see the Sox play. You probably can’t chose a bad restaurant or bar. Legal Seafood is an old established chain that I really like but Italian restaurants are on every corner. Sam Adams is a good stop also. You will eventually visit Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market while you are there so plan for that. Make this trip at least once.

Definitely stay in Boston and enjoy the city.

Jan 17, 2018, 6:41 PM

I personally like Back Bay. North End has some really good Italian restaurants. Be sure to soak in all of the history. Walking the Freedom Trail is a great way to do that. The Duck Tours are fun too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jan 17, 2018, 6:44 PM

If you have little to no money, make a road trip out of it and camp in a state park. I would pack some heat cuz of Grizzlies and and coyotes though. Still a lot of fun.

Jan 17, 2018, 7:52 PM

I've made the trip twice and had a great time both times. If we hadn't been looking forward to College Station this year, I would go back to Boston for my annual away game trip.

Stayed first time at Marriott near MIT which was okay if you're looking for a chain hotel. Most things require a short ride on the T (subway) so a little inconvenient.

Second time we rented a VRBO right behind Massachusetts State House. It was on Temple Street, but I can't find it on VRBO right now. A 1 bedroom walkup but it was fun. Walking distance to the Freedom Trail/ Boston Common/ T stops for several lines. For food and atmosphere North End is great for the Italian community and history but a little inconvenient for the T to go out to the game if you try to find a place to stay near there.

Agree with the above post about Fenway Park. My wife is not a huge baseball fan but the park tour and eating a meal in the restaurant within the Green Monster overlooking the field led to a Red Sox hoodie and a second favorite team after the Braves.

I could spend the whole visit walking the Freedom Trail and eating Italian in North End, but we also enjoyed the Isabella Gardner Stewart Museum if you enjoy fine art and want to enjoy an amazing palazzo. Fanueil Hall is obligatory, once got a Boston accented "Clemson is good, but that Spillah, he's amazing!" while on a visit for continuing education in 2009. We also went to a Bruins-Sabres game at the Garden that year which is fun just to see the passion they follow their hockey teams. Felt like a Clemson-Carolina game for atmosphere and jawing back and forth.

Eating at Legal Seafood is fine, but you will probably enjoy much more eating at one of the random small Italian places in North End. I had one of my best Italian meals ever in the downstairs of a place on Hanover street where I had to duck to miss the floor joists from the main floor (I'm 6'6") and probably paid $15-20 each. Modern Pastry on Hanover street has as good a pastry selection as you will ever see (and the "lobster tail" is definitely worth the pounds).

The Constitution is fun if you like history, just make sure to take your Driver's License or an ID, my wife had to wait in the gift shop while I toured because she left hers behind. Also the refurbished planks were made of live oak planks from the construction of the Cross Island Expressway on HHI arranged by the SC DOT to pacify environmental concerns and source live oak for an accurate material. Bunker Hill and the tower atop gives a great view and is worth the effort.

Chestnut Hill will be a disappointment if you're comparing it to Clemson, VT, UGA, UT, FSU, even Columbia in regards to tailgating. They open the lots a few hours before the games and shut the place down a few hours after (as opposed to my time at Clemson when they decided motor homes couldn't show up on Thursday on the Jervey Meadows). I would ride the T out from town since it's an easy walk from the two stations out near BC. If you're meeting up with friends, there may be some places to eat or they may have a spot to tailgate. We just grabbed something at a pizza place near the T stop. Its is fun to walk through campus and see the architecture. Lots of old stone (although some are very new) and looks a great deal like the classic look of VT campus. You shouldn't get much mistreatment as you walk through. Fans have always been pretty polite to us (although never got invited to stop in and share a tailgate as I have at other places).

Hopefully they won't still pipe the "band" for BC over the speakers to make it seem louder and more widespread than it really is.

Sorry for the long response, hope you have a fun time if you go

Hilton Financial District

Jan 17, 2018, 8:20 PM

Great weekend deals -
5 minute walk to the waterfront. (Great even in Nov)
10 minute walk to Fanual Hall/Quincy Market
15 minute walk to the North End
20 minute walk to the Garden
20 minute T ride to Chesnut Hill

Nov 9th weather can be glorious or miserable. 50/50 chance that time of year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We typically stay in Copley Place ...

Jan 18, 2018, 8:07 AM

at the Westin or Marriott. Short walk to the train stations and a convenient commute to almost everything (Boston Common, Freedom Trail, Fenway, etc).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Stay in the city at a hotel near a train station ...

Jan 18, 2018, 8:21 AM

and don't rent a car ... waste of $$$ ... train goes everywhere.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stay in the city at a hotel near a train station ...

Jan 18, 2018, 9:55 AM

Amen. Don’t attempt to drive in Boston unless you have been to the nascar school of performance driving!

I rode in a van with a lady driver from Logan to Copley Plaza one year and she made a ‘true believer’ out of me!

Love Boston ..... and the Red Sox

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic