Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those all in on $15 min wage and free tuition
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 491

For those all in on $15 min wage and free tuition

Jul 24, 2019, 8:48 AM

SInce we know that ignoring Econ101 on wages in respect to supply and demand will not work out well in the end for those due to be replaced by robotics,computers and IT I have a question.Nor for the many small business owners that will struggle to remain open with that minimum wage. SInce we already have a large number of University degree holders that are unable to find work in their field, yeah there are only so many jobs in a lot of degree areas, is the next sirens call for a minimum wage and guaranteed paycheck for any University grad next on their agenda?

I mean it is only fair right, they did what they were told right? Even though many jobs pay far more than those holding a degree would earn and have an actiual demand. Or will it be a UBI funded by whom? We already know that a lot of the tech scions get all buched in the drawers when ideas are floated by cities to tax them to pay for things like homeless. Just curious here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Economics is racist.***

Jul 24, 2019, 9:29 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

$15 minimum wage is the least problematic issue

Jul 24, 2019, 11:05 AM

It is a weak bandaid to a much larger problem that neither min wage, UBI, or a more affordable college education can fix. Colleges and universities are not on a sustainable path.

So, what of value is being created that will sustain us going forward? Despite all the illusions of technology like Tigernet, I personally don't see much happening. We need big science breakthroughs that lead to big value creation. Where are the innovations coming from that are going to drive the next 20, 30, 40 years of progress? I'm thinking about the kind of advances such as those we had in the 1900s that led to an explosion of growth and prosperity. Just in the realm of physics, we made incredible discoveries the first half of last century that made possible nuclear energy, the world of Bits, molecular biology, etc.

Some have argued that with regard to innovation, with the exception of the Bits, we have actually been in a period of great stagnation since the early 1970's. What we appear to have been doing since then is just shuffling the deck. We are stuck in the churn of simple financialization, where slices of value are being are continually churned and rehypothecated by wall street, bought and sold every millisecond, without anything of actual real value ever being created. So where is the economic value creation actually coming from? How many more versions of the iphone and facebook do we really need, ya'll?

And while a lot of geniuses on here might volunteer that free markets are the best means for providing the kind of growth I'm talking about, you are not understanding my point. Free markets haven't really moved the needle on the level I'm talking about. Despite all the hype, lately we haven't really solved any of the great science questions that lead to applications here in modern life. I'm a huge fan of black holes by the way, but what can I build with that information?

This is a problem that requires vision from our public leaders, and sadly science is like a tainted word in the intellectual life of most politicians. If Dems wanted a big picture issue to move us forward, they need to start addressing the innovation issue, not minimum wage or UBI.

Some big problems need to be solved to break us out of the stagnation and academia needs to free the best minds to work on them.

Re: $15 minimum wage is the least problematic issue

Jul 24, 2019, 11:58 AM

Lot of truth to that. We're pulling from essentially the same bucket we were pulling from in 1970, but there's twice as many of us and a lot more concentration of wealth.

You are missing one huge innovation - computers and the Internet. What it changes is scale, and it allows the formation of organizations far larger than ever existed prior. It enables companies to get huge on a scale they never could before...and concentrate more wealth in fewer and fewer hands. So a lot of billionaires have happened since 1970.

But yeah, you wanna see progress, we need some big breakthroughs, particularly in renewable and especially portable energy. There's actually plenty of power; what we really need is a better battery. We haven't seen a genuine breakthrough there in something like 50 years.

The next big innovation, IMHO, is likely to center around 3D printing tech, which will render manufacturing all but obsolete. On one hand it sounds great...but think about what that likely means to the job pool.

World of Bits

Jul 24, 2019, 2:15 PM

is kind of the catch-all phrase I used for the computer & telecommunications age.

Very big for the global economy.

World of Bits

Jul 24, 2019, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Re: $15 minimum wage is the least problematic issue ]

is kind of the catch-all phrase I used for the computer & telecommunications age.

Very big for the global economy.

Re: For those all in on $15 min wage and free tuition

Jul 24, 2019, 11:28 AM

You might want to check with someone who has taken more than one economics course.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 12:30 PM

Well it has served all well, that pesky supply and demand principal over the DECADES. Maybe it is you that should read a touch more or comprehend what it is you are reading. Just saying.......

At $15 bucks an hour you get decreased workers, hours per week per employee, replacement with robotics as well as higher prices. higher prices. It is not magic and even a liberal should grasp this as long as they remain in the realm of real world thinking. You also will get business closures as smaller business will not be as able to adjust costs and remain competative.

Jul 24, 2019, 1:32 PM

Why even have micro 2 if you can learn everything you need to know in micro 1?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 491
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic