Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Few thoughts on Alabama this year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Few thoughts on Alabama this year

Dec 3, 2017, 4:38 PM

Alabama is 1-dimensional on offense this year. New OC Brian Daboll is not Lane Kiffin - nobody will even begin to confuse him with Lane Kiffin, in fact - and to say that Alabama has been "run heavy" this year is putting it mildly. They have 531 rushing attempts to just 276 passing attempts (and only 171 completions).

Calvin Ridley is their ONLY receiving threat. He's grabbed 55 balls for 896 yards - and just 3 TD's. Their second-leading receiver in receptions is actually RB Bo Scarbrough with 14 receptions; they have another receiver, Jerry Jeudy, who had 13 catches for 244 on the year. Alrightee then. So you cover Ridley; they literally have established no one else.

Jalen hurts has thrown just 222 times on the year, completing all of 135 balls for 1940 yards...which is an average of 11.25 completions a game, for 161 yards per game. Short version: he's a very complementary thrower, not really a feature QB. In comparison Kelly Bryant - who some lament as being a more "limited" passer than Deshaun Watson - has completed 244 balls on 362 attempts for 2678 yards. That translates as right at 19 completions a game for 206 yards, which is a fair bit more balanced. Bryant also completes 67% of his balls to Hurts' 60.8%.

So this isn't Lane Kiffin's very multiple Alabama offense. This is a much less creative 1-dimensional running team with really only one real receiving threat in Calvin Ridley, a much easier beast to corral.

It's also worth noting that though this Alabama defense was statistically dominant (second overall in the country behind only Wisconsin at 257.8ypg allowed), exactly like Wisconsin's this year, they really didn't face any even decent offenses except for Ole Miss's (21st overall at 462ypg) and Auburn (27th overall, 454). Auburn smacked them around pretty convincingly; Ole Miss got smothered, but Alabama also chewed clock and ran the ball at will on the Rebs' outmatched D that game. The Tide's personnel is without question good but this is also an untested unit that just plain didn't play any good offensive squads.

Also worth noting: Jeremy Pruitt is a very solid DC, he's also more...predictable than Kirby Smart was. Smart was good at disguising coverages and showing a lot of looks; Pruitt is not and has a lot more distinct tendencies. He isn't as predictable as Schiano at OSU (who ran one of the most vanilla defenses in the country), but he's a very meat-and-potatoes coach who likes it how he likes it, which is kinda true of a lot of what Alabama has done this year. This isn't the best-coached or most creative Alabama squad in history, whatever.

Alabama is, and remains, a stern opponent, regardless. But last year's Alabama squad might have been one of their best in history; this one is not that good and if you look close there's distinct signs they are trending the wrong way.

FWIW.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

seems all that experience our

Dec 3, 2017, 4:38 PM

second and third team defense got over the season will come in handy in the 4th quarter when Scarbrough is normally running over a tired defense.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: seems all that experience our

Dec 3, 2017, 5:10 PM

While we have gotten our 2&3s a lot of play time and they have done pretty well. They haven’t exactly been world beaters. It’ll be nice if they mix them in early and often ..... leaving more gas in the tank for the 1s in the final stretch

Message was edited by: CrumpsSKOK®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Few thoughts on Alabama this year

Dec 3, 2017, 4:41 PM

I agree for the most part. I'm not scared of their offense at all and feel good about that. But they will get a lot of their hurt LB's back and will still be a force defensively, especially when Saban has a whole month to scheme. However, they don't have the depth in years past, so keeping it balanced and running a lot of plays is key to wearing them down....much like we did last year and Miss St did this year. It almost feels like the Semi final game is for the National Title.

Dec 3, 2017, 5:03 PM

Because it’s true. Both teams on the other bracket are one dimensional, but Oklahoma has the worst defense of the top 4.

They have a weak D and we all know that weak D’s cause issues with penetration. Like our chances.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2017, 4:56 PM

Now that the committee has awarded our number one ranking with getting to play Alabama in the sugar bowl, we simply have to rise to the task. Three and outs. Don’t let them run it down our throats and don’t let them control the ball. With Wilkins Lawrence Ferrel and Bryant as well as our depth, we are as good as we will ever be to simply shut them down. We just have to show up and do it.

We are better ourselves this year at eating up clock, but not as good at The downfield passing game that won the game last year in the last minute.

I agree that Alabama is beatable and likely our team will be better for having prepared to face them. First round NFL defensive lineman should be able to control the line of scrimmage And prevent Alabama from lining up and running the ball right at us for first downs.

Everybody seems to be having spastic conniptions over...

Dec 3, 2017, 5:36 PM

Clemson's lack of success throwing the long ball. Remember Clemson's HUNH offense? We tired defenses out by keeping their players moving and not allowing them to substitute. That was a gimmick. Remember when we'd HUNH and fail to convert which put our defense back on the field?

A successful HUNH offense will certainly wear any defense down but no and no more surely than a steady offense which moves the chains on long sustained drives. We have the most talented and deepest crew of running backs we've had since...I don't remember having three deep that can perform as these guys.

Give me the 4 yard runs, screens to spread the defense and keep the LBs looking and passes just across the line to gain for first downs and only throw the deep ball when the safeties are drifting toward the LOS. It doesn't have to connect to keep safeties honest.

If the goal is to wear a defense down and you're don't have a Deshaun Watson behind center the long ball should be thrown selectively.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. I'll take an 8 minute scoring drive over a 4 minute one

Dec 3, 2017, 6:14 PM

everyday of the week

And NO OJ Howard!***

Dec 3, 2017, 5:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2017, 7:42 PM

Thanks,Q!+1

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic