Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Defense 2015...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1,502

Defense 2015...

Dec 2, 2014, 10:09 AM

So, all I am hearing from the dirtpeckers is how we are going to suck on D next year with all of the losses we will have. (Well, that and how Dabo should receive a life sentence in criminal court for playing DW, but that's a different post).

It is not going to be hard to drop from the #1 D in the country (no where to go but down), but what does everyone think? It seems to me that we had a good bit of depth playing this year. Are we really going to suck as bad as the coots on D next year? (Their words, not mine).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1st step

Dec 2, 2014, 10:10 AM

do not listen to or believe anything the shamecocks say.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Wow, best advice I have gotten today!

Dec 2, 2014, 10:16 AM

:)

Re: Defense 2015...

Dec 2, 2014, 10:12 AM

No we will still be top 20. Remind them how they lose their entire OL, QB, at least 1 WR and likely their 1 and 2 RB.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2014, 10:12 AM

we lose 8 starters, most of whom will be playing on Sunday. I do not think anyone has any idea how the young guys will fill the void, but it will help if we keep all of our defenseive coaches.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Likely Starters next year

Dec 2, 2014, 10:16 AM

DE - Shaq Lawson
DT - DJ Reader
DT - Carlos Watkins
DE - ??? Ogundeko or Dodd
M - K Jones or Kory Rogers
W - B Boulware
S - Wiggins or Goodson
C - Alexander
F - Green
S - Kerse
C - Tankersley or Baker

Still Pretty good

Don't forget Blanks is back next year too.

Dec 2, 2014, 10:23 AM

nm

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Dec 2, 2014, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Likely Starters next year ]

I think that is mostly accurate. I could see Dodd moving inside for more depth if a couple of young bucks emerge at DE. However, your list is most likely in that scenario. Also, I wonder if Goodson will get a look at Mike. Kellen seemed to struggle there when SA went out. I like (not necessarily likely) WLB: Boulware, Jones
MLB: Goodson, Rogers
N/SLB: Wiggins/ O'Daniel
Also wonder if Jadar Johnson will get a chance at the other safety spot or if they will just have him cross train and provide depth at both.
The wildcard is where Blanks fits in this year. Does he play at Nickel with Wiggins or does one of them move back to safety?

Dec 2, 2014, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Likely Starters next year ]

Blanks being back and O'Daniel is going to be a good one too. I'm not worried about LB's or the Secondary. Its all on the front 4 if we can keep a good pass rush and get a push up front. We know what we'll get from Lawson, Reader, Watkins and Pogano should all be solid in the middle rotation. The only question is the opposite end and depth along the line. If we snag Huggins that will be a huge addition.

Dec 2, 2014, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Defense 2015... ]

Actually, I've been pretty impressed with the play of the backups coming off the bench this year. I'm sure Coach V will have another outstanding defense come on the field next year. You can see the hunger and confidence, even in the young guys this year. We'll be fine!!!

Honest answer

Dec 2, 2014, 10:22 AM

it's way to early to tell. Clemson has the potential to remain a top 15 defense, but the youth makes it to where you just can't tell until the games start counting. I am thankful that our schedule next year should be more conducive to breaking in young talent, as opposed to having the two most difficult games in the first month.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like the start of the season...

Dec 2, 2014, 10:28 AM

and the benefit that should have for both O and D. Good answer!

We have not had a defense like this since the

Dec 2, 2014, 10:27 AM

Danny Ford years, and the reason we are where we are is because of Brent Venables. Until proven otherwise, I have complete confidence that our defense will be top notch next year.

As for the coots

Dec 2, 2014, 10:28 AM

Dodd, Watkins, Reader and Lawson ALL would have started for them this year. So, while I do expect a drop off, it won't be a collapse like they saw. My biggest concern is depth on the DL. We'll be playing a lot of very inexperienced guys and likely some true freshmen. Everywhere else we have quality depth and talent although still inexperienced in some places. Top 25 should be the goal for our D next season

Probably drop off from great to good, but counter with an

Dec 2, 2014, 10:33 AM

offense that goes from bad to good, maybe even great.

I suspect that overall, we'll be comparably talented to the 2013 team, only with better QB play (if DW stays healthy) and a better running game.

2013 defense was vulnerable in the secondary, esp safety.
2015 secondary will be the strength, but DL will be much thinner. If the offense doesn't leave them out there too often, they will hold up well.

If the schedule isn't loaded with crap from Swoffy, 2015 sets up nicely.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have the talent to stay top 25-30

Dec 2, 2014, 10:39 AM

The youth at DE is the biggest question mark. Secondary is going to be nasty and the LB position will be alright provided the young guys continue to improve. DT will be fine with Watkins, Reader and Pagano. DE is Lawson and not much else

Dec 2, 2014, 10:44 AM

1st off our 2nd team D was better then there 1st team D this year! I dont think we will have the depth on the D line but the LBs and DB's will be fine! I think we should stack some weight on Dodd and move him to DT with register moving to DE!

M. Alexander, Kearse, Reader, Lawson,

Dec 2, 2014, 11:34 AM

O'Daniel, Wiggins, Boulware, Goodson, Jadar Johnson, plus a handful of highly rated redshirts...I believe we will be fine.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2014, 11:39 AM

This offseason they will bond during mat drills . We get stronger each year . I will truly miss Stephone he was a true beast and fun to watch . With that said I'm excited for the next step and watch us grow . ITS CLEMSON FOOTBALL NOTHING FINER !!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keep in mind our offense will be the most explosive we've ever seen

Dec 2, 2014, 12:04 PM

If we can just field a top 25 defense next year (and we have the talent to do so, especially if we close with Huggins and Wilkins), and the newer guys can have a few games to get their feet wet before we play a top 25 opponent, we shouldn't lose a regular season game next year.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1,502
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic