Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Compare LSU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1,319

Compare LSU

Dec 31, 2019, 12:23 PM

So, I am hearing all of the hype, just like last year...Let's compare!

2018 Bama (all 15 games):

Points 684 and 271 for an average per game of 45.6 scored and 18.1 given up (and these are skewed by the Clemson game numbers)

2018 Clemson:

Points 664 and 197, for an average of 44.3 scored and 13.1 given up.

2019 LSU (14 games):

Points for 684, 303, for an average of 48.9 scored and 21.6 given up.

2019 Clemson:

Points 634 and 161, for an average of 45.3 scored and 11.5 given up.

So, last year, we faced the "greatest team of all time" and beat them easily. This year, it is the greatest offense of all time (keep in mind, if you take out the championship game from Bama's totals above, their offense was comparable to LSU this year) versus a better defense than last year!

Last year, Alabama's defense was much better than this year's LSU! Going into the final game, Bama was giving up 16 points a game, LSU is giving up 21.6 per game!

Our offense and defense are better than last year! So, keep all of this in mind when you are thinking about this game coming up!

Go the REAL Death Valley Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Compare LSU

Dec 31, 2019, 12:27 PM

Our D line is the biggest difference from last year. I think we win the game but our D line was disruptive from the start last year where our Def this year has to bring different looks to get pressure which is why this game will be much closer

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2019, 12:36 PM

I do expect a closer game. The purpose of the post was for all of the talk about how this will be our toughest game ever or whatever.... some have bought into the hype, just like last year!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2019, 12:45 PM

LSU is the knew shiny thing, so everybody’s all googly eyes right now, But I agree I think this LSU team reminds me a lot of last year Bama. My reply I guess was my biggest concern/difference in our team. But we got BV so he’ll come with something

Dec 31, 2019, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Compare LSU ]

LSU is the knew shiny thing, so everybody’s all googly eyes right now, But I agree I think this LSU team reminds me a lot of last year Bama. My reply I guess was my biggest concern/difference in our team. But we got BV so he’ll come with something

Yes, contrary to what the numbers say I think our defense is

Dec 31, 2019, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Compare LSU ]

worse than last years..........Still good, but given a choice I'll take last years defense over this year's any day.

worse How? Statistically it’s better in almost every

Dec 31, 2019, 12:45 PM

Category. I think this 3 man front sets up perfectly for the type of offense we are about to face.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2019, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Compare LSU ]

Our defense has done a great job this year, nut you CANNOT lose the best D-line in the history of college football and not have it hurt you. The million dollar question on defense can we find a way to get anywhere near the amount of pressure that our 2018 D-line gave us without exposing big vulnerabilites in our pass coverage.

I remember last year Joel Klatt saying that Clemson is

Dec 31, 2019, 12:32 PM

a flawed team that can't defend the pass well and that Ian Book would take advantage of that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Here is the deal...

Dec 31, 2019, 12:37 PM

We cannot EXPECT a blow out.

Blow outs happen when you keep punching in the mouth and other team gives up. Last year was the first time I have ever seen a Saban team quit.

The only way we blow out LSU is if we can get them to quit. LSU is a great team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here is the deal...

Dec 31, 2019, 12:50 PM

Last year, we had a great DL. And all of the pundits were saying that Tua (and Book) would have a field day with our secondary. They said our receivers were overrated and the Bama Secondary would contain them.

This year, the pundits are saying our defense has never seen an offense like LSU (O31O St, anyone), and our DL is not good enough to stand up to LSU.

In my prediction last week, I said we would hold OSU to half their average; 24 points. That was pretty close. I figured we would triple their average points given up, or 38 points, and threw in a defensive touchdown to make it 45 points (that missed pick six would have made it better!)...blew that one!

I am saying Venables has this! I am saying, we have Trevor! All I care about is a one point win for our Tigers! But last year's championship was so much fun!!!

I’m not arguing at all....

Dec 31, 2019, 12:58 PM

Just saying if we are going to have a performance like last year, we gotta punch and keep punching. Blowouts like that are rare against other great teams. I have all the confidence in our team and coaches. Would love to blow them out.

I keep thinking that all the press LSU has been getting is gonna blow up on them sooner or later. It hasn’t yet, but hopefully it will on the 13th.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m not arguing at all....

Dec 31, 2019, 1:32 PM

Sorry, did not take it as arguing, and did not want to imply that you were... Look at the last post I made in this thread to get a clearer picture of what I am saying about the records...

they played like 10 top 10 teams

Dec 31, 2019, 12:40 PM

and other SEC teams

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LSU Beat a Top 10 Texas team at Texas

Dec 31, 2019, 1:07 PM

That's a quality road win.

Re: they played like 10 top 10 teams

Dec 31, 2019, 1:16 PM [ in reply to they played like 10 top 10 teams ]

Wins by teams over power 5 teams with 6 wins or more:

Clemson: 8 wins
LSU: 9
Ohio St: 6
Oklahoma: 5

Depending on what poll you use, it is debatable as to how many wins over top ten teams, but here is one way of looking at it...

Clemson, 1 win (OSU)
LSU, 4 (Georgia, Florida, Bama?, Ok?, Last two are suspect top ten teams now)
OSU, 4 (Penn St, Michigan?, Wisconsin twice)
Ok, 2 (Baylor twice?)

If you look at who was ranked when they played, then you could put different numbers everywhere, but OK and LSU played Texas, which we now know was greatly overrated. And I don't like seeing teams like Georgia (7), Florida (5), Bama (3), Auburn (4), Michigan (5), Wisconsin (4), Baylor (4 wins over 6 win P5 teams), etc in the top ten now!

(Edited to show wins over power 5 teams with 6 wins to illustrate why these teams may not be the best examples of who should be top ten teams...Please note the abysmal Bama record in this regard!)

Message was edited by: JPRICH Top Paw®

Replies: 15
| visibility 1,319
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic