Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Beating your rival four years in a row...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 110
| visibility 1

Beating your rival four years in a row...

Aug 11, 2013, 11:12 PM
4THATSCUTE.jpg(55.5 K)

That's cute!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Beating your rival four years in a row...

Aug 11, 2013, 11:17 PM

Yeah..its easy to get overly excited when your team does something they've never done before in most of they're fans lifetime. People in high school now have seen us do it twice already.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They think it's cool having back to back 11 win seasons too

Aug 12, 2013, 12:13 AM

but we would've done that back in the day had we played an easy schedule like teams do now with 12 games.

they hold up an empty hand to symbolize their empty trophy

Aug 12, 2013, 6:41 AM

case.

Re: they hold up an empty hand to symbolize their empty trophy

Aug 12, 2013, 7:18 AM

And....if they win again this year, what will the "company line" excuse on this board be? Maybe Dabo had a headache before the game, or Chad's favorite dog was hit by a car yesterday? Some of you Tiger fans need to wake up, smell the coffee, and ask the tough questions concerning why they now have a superior program? Most teams don't win rivalry games with 3rd to 5th string RB's in consecutive years, or back-up QB's lighting you up for 300+ yards. Until enough Tiger fans start looking for the answers at Clemson, I'm afraid these beat-downs are not a thing of the past.

Aug 12, 2013, 7:50 AM

there's no question that they have built a program in Cola, and that their recent win streak over us is no fluke.

There's also no debating that a large portion of them seem to think this is the first time in the history of sports that a team has won 4 in a row over a rival.

it's pretty easy - Spurrier had a 3-year head start on Dabo

Aug 12, 2013, 8:33 AM [ in reply to Re: they hold up an empty hand to symbolize their empty trophy ]

getting his program going at SCAR while Dabo was rebuilding ours - plus 25 years more experience as a head coach. They've matched up well against us the last few years, give credit where it's deserved. It's not a leaps and bounds thing....they have just made a couple of big plays that we didn't.

This happens every 40 years or so.

since it's the only time that ita has happened in their life

Aug 12, 2013, 8:48 AM

time, they seem to think that they're never going back to what they were. Enjoy your success, now you know how we have felt ALL of our lives. Other than beating your dominating rival, what else have you really accomplished?

Rebuilding???***

Aug 12, 2013, 12:23 PM [ in reply to it's pretty easy - Spurrier had a 3-year head start on Dabo ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

Did you see the offense in 2010? It goes without saying,

Aug 12, 2013, 1:36 PM

the offense had to be rebuilt.

Did you see the one in '08 and '09? Spiller, Ford

Aug 12, 2013, 3:08 PM

Allen etc etc

Yea coupled with awful OCs.

Aug 12, 2013, 4:06 PM

Would have loved to see what those guys would have done with better ones.

I think you may have missed the point.

Aug 12, 2013, 5:50 PM [ in reply to Did you see the one in '08 and '09? Spiller, Ford ]

CJ Spiller and Jacoby Ford were great players...but they were here for ONE year under Swinney as head coach. Michael Palmer came out of nowhere his senior year too, but you can't rebuild an offense with 3 departing seniors.

By his own admission Allen was stubborn as a mule. He'll tell you he didn't listen to coaching, and really didn't develop until the final year of his career, under Morris in 2011.

Any other "etc" guys to consider? heck, you used that abbreviation 3x, so you must have a ton of 'em?

Contrarily, the offense clearly had to be rebuilt before Swinney could fully succeed.

You fir a coach in October and don't think there is some

Aug 12, 2013, 5:53 PM [ in reply to Rebuilding???*** ]

rebuilding involved?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You fir a coach in October and don't think there is some

Aug 12, 2013, 8:04 PM

That's a good point. We are just now getting where we have quality scholarship depth at all positions. Having 12 commits in 2009 was like a self-imposed sanction. USC has consistently signed 25-26 recruits on average during that time. Regaining a new offensive and defensive identity has also been a set back. Not just any DC can come in and complement this style of offense and have fresh horses to do so. We will be back on top sooner than later in this rival.

Re: Re: You fir a coach in October and don't think there is some

Aug 12, 2013, 8:22 PM

Yep

Re: Re: You fir a coach in October and don't think there is some

Aug 12, 2013, 9:14 PM [ in reply to Re: You fir a coach in October and don't think there is some ]

Venables seems to be pretty good. No better than Koenning though. Morris is a really smart guy. Don't think for one minute he is not ready to be a head coach. And wants to be. Dabo is a good recruiter and motivator. And seems to be a good CEO. But can he call plays if he had to? Who knows. For the record Tommy should have been allowed to finish the year. Then make a decision, that was bs.

Oil change***

Aug 13, 2013, 11:31 AM [ in reply to You fir a coach in October and don't think there is some ]

Hey ####, how many times have you seen uSC lose to Clemson

Aug 12, 2013, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Re: they hold up an empty hand to symbolize their empty trophy ]

4 times in a row? Hence your dementia.

Re: Re: they hold up an empty hand to symbolize their empty trophy

Aug 12, 2013, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Re: they hold up an empty hand to symbolize their empty trophy ]

Mcb you are such a coot

Aug 12, 2013, 8:56 PM [ in reply to Re: they hold up an empty hand to symbolize their empty trophy ]

Defense wins championships...and I think ours will be good enough this year to shut down their passing game and make them one dimensional, remember we had a depleted secondary and a new DC, this year will be a different story provided that we don't get hit with the injury bug at key positions on offense. The D will be much improved and I can't wait to watch th take care of the Dogs to start off the season! GO TIGERS!!!!

Aug 13, 2013, 11:07 AM

Our LB's will be good enough to keep what ever QB they spring on us this year in check. I think that every time they play us, spurprick will make up an excuse to spring a QB that no one has ever seen play 30 minutes before the game. I'm betting that won't work again b/c BV has some depth now that he likes. And, with this year being Tajh's last game against the coots. I hope that he and Bryant will scheme a pass play that will allow Bryant to crush we know who on the side lines. The coots could put that visor in their trophy case.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2013, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Re: they hold up an empty hand to symbolize their empty trophy ]

YadaYadaYada, I heard this same ole song all last year until gametime, they totally dominated us in the second half and beat us like a rented mule with second & third string tailbacks, second string QB's and we had our A team on the field, so, please tell me what is going to be different this year, playing in their house mind you, some of you people are delusional.

Aug 13, 2013, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: they hold up an empty hand to symbolize their empty trophy ]

I get your point, but I feel you need to put things in perspective. They are indeed on a great win steak; however, all good things must come to an end. People often forget that only a decade ago, Auburn beat Alabama six years in a row. Think about that... 6 years in a row! Now look at what Alabama has done... 3 national titles in the past four years. It is incredible just thinking about the fact that only a decade ago, they were being manhandled by their inferior in-state rivals. It is obvious that this is the best shape the coots' football program has ever been in. They've got a great coach (although a total tool) who has many years more experience than Dabo. He has recruited well; plus, he got a head start on Dabo. If you add in that they also have the best defensive player in the country, it is no wonder why they're so good. Dabo has done far more with the program so far than I expected of him. We will only get better, and we will rise again. Go Tigers!

Aug 13, 2013, 10:32 AM [ in reply to they hold up an empty hand to symbolize their empty trophy ]

Actually they are looking to see if any of that chit they talk got on their hand. But who can blame them, when they are talking all that chit, that is what they are smelling on their breath. So :(!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I tend to ignore all the "four-peating" or "Fear the Thumb"

Aug 12, 2013, 8:29 AM

chanting, because it's what anyone should have expected with their recent run.

That they have achieved a certain amount of respectability hasn't really surprised me either, considering their coach. I was at CU when Spurrier won the Heisman and have generally followed his career since. When SC hired him, a lot of Clemson people had the attitude that it wouldn't be a matter of "if," but "when" he would achieve success.

Some may not like his personality...even folks within the Gamecock program don't...but you have to be honest in allowing his success. The question is: what type of success? More than anything else, Spurrier wants the SEC championship; a national title would be a Godsend. Honestly, he likes beating Clemson, but I've never believed that goal has been his end-all.

What I, also, believe is this: he along with Dabo have drawn a lot more national focus to both programs. They have put more "oomph" into the rivalry, thus, drawing more attention. They have given more recruits a reason to consider both schools. And here we are now with the little, poor state of South Carolina with two top-rated football teams.

Frankly, ole Spurrier's barbs don't irk me...They are his wry attempts at humor. His off-field shirtless or beer-holding antics are more humorous than anything else. Thus, what I do take very seriously is Spurrier's skills as a head coach.

When we meet them in Columbia this year, he will again attack our weaknesses. He will pull out all his marbles to achieve that "five-peat." We have to understand that and be prepared to "out-attack" him and his weaknesses.
Most importantly, we have to enter WB Stadium BELIEVING that we can defeat him. I'd be willing to bet Dabo and Co. understand that by now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Fear the Thumb" is the dumbest comment I've heard from the

Aug 12, 2013, 8:50 AM

Coots. I def don't remember Clemson fans ever mentioning the "thumb" in 2001 or 2006. I guess we were just used to the success.

it's kinda like the endzone dance....act like you've been

Aug 12, 2013, 9:03 AM

there before.....they haven't so they don't really know how to act. We must overlook their shortcomings, that's why they're coots.

Beating Clemson is pretty much Spurriers only notable....

Aug 12, 2013, 9:16 AM [ in reply to "Fear the Thumb" is the dumbest comment I've heard from the ]

achievement since arriving at $CU. As the old saying goes; "you dance with the one what brung you".

He is effectively a reincarnate of Tommy Bowden without the morals, character or integrity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Beating Clemson is pretty much Spurriers only notable....

Aug 13, 2013, 2:08 PM

Really?? I guess when they knocked off No 1 Alabama in 2010 that wasnt much of an accomplishment. Or No 3 Georgia last year? No that wasnt a big deal either. When was the last time we knocked a No 1 or 3 team? Sometimes I wonder if our fan base isnt delusional at times. USUC has done something right the last three or four years, kicking our ### and knocking off Top 5 teams along the way. And some say they havnt accomplished anything. I dont know what it takes to be a National Title Contender. But I know if we cant beat them Dang #####, we sure aint no tile contender. Beat them this year! No more excuses!!

Re: "Fear the Thumb" is the dumbest comment I've heard from the

Aug 12, 2013, 7:43 PM [ in reply to "Fear the Thumb" is the dumbest comment I've heard from the ]

Spurrier headcoach at the bird10 yrs dabo at Clemson5 yrs yep his team is built this year defense not entirely but enough to beat them birds in there coop!

the old ball sac is a good coach and it only took him 10

Aug 12, 2013, 8:52 AM [ in reply to I tend to ignore all the "four-peating" or "Fear the Thumb" ]

years to get that program headed in the right direction. I wonder who the fans of that program think will replace him in (in his words) 3 or 4 years? They will be back to normal by then.

Think Dabo could have done it in four?

Aug 12, 2013, 9:05 AM

I think USuCk football is gonna be good football for a while.

I expect UF, UT and AU to return to the their past glory but I think USuCk can play with them for a good long while. Chances are someday that division will return to power in the conference and USuCk will be the favored team in the CCG if they remain competitive.

Sorry, Tiger Fans that ain't your daddy's USuCk team.

I don't want no chicken points for this post and anybody calls me a coot and I'm gonna cast a mountainman's spell on your cattle, pastures and your whole dang farm.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how many times have you heard people talk about replacing

Aug 12, 2013, 3:36 PM

a legend? well, the 'ol sack has gained legend status at usuc, and those (hc's)after him will struggle, in my opinion. look how long it has taken us to get beyond d.f, or how long 'bama goes between hc of bear bryants' ilk, till they got saban. usuc may get lucky and find one, but the previous 4 hc's they tried, that had won mnc's at other schools, had failed. this route would be a much safer wager.

Good point.

Aug 12, 2013, 3:40 PM

They really think like SEC fans too. If the ole sac quits or retires they might have a real problem but you gotta admit one thing. They are recruiting better and better because the are winning.

I know they are winning because of the other teams falling off on that side of the conference but it is what it is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: how many times have you heard people talk about replacing

Aug 12, 2013, 9:46 PM [ in reply to how many times have you heard people talk about replacing ]

Spurlid has lowered the standards for admission, progression, moral expectations etc. to a level even they had not stooped to yet, so it should be easier for the next guy. We have gone in the other direction. Our standards are higher, and expectations never have been higher, so it is a little harder for us. It is worth the extra effort, though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2013, 7:30 AM

This is total BS and the farce that Clemson has struggled against Spurrier because we take the moral high road is a complete crock. No one wants to beat Spurrier more than Dabo does, he just hasn't been able to do it.

Aug 13, 2013, 11:28 AM

Not saying it's because of taking the moral high road, although we do seem take more high character players. The huge difference is in their entrance/acceptance requirement, and our expectation of academic performance and progression is much above theirs. If you don't think that matters, that's okay, but it is huge. There are many very good players they can sign that we can't, but believe what you wish. If you think it doesn't matter, that's okay with me. It does matter to many recruits, however.

Aug 13, 2013, 1:38 PM

LOL, we are recruiting the same players they are, but they are getting the better ones. We will lose 5 in a row come November because nothing has changed on our team, nothing has changed on their team, except those young players have become more experienced. Look at all the SEC schools, the great ones have 7 or 8 juniors declaring for the NFL and signing. Those schools are beating everyone with sophs and jrs.

Aug 13, 2013, 11:46 PM [ in reply to Re: how many times have you heard people talk about replacing ]

Not trying to call you out because I've heard it said many times that Clemson's admission standards for football players in particular are much tougher than South Carolina's. I really would like to see a link to both schools admission standards for comparison for all to see. Again, not calling you out, but I have to believe they are probably the same.

I think it has everything to do with character

Aug 13, 2013, 11:55 PM

Between Spurrier and Dabo, who do you hear more often praising people of character and speaking highly of those attributes? From what I've understood of past recruiting cycles, Dabo will not hesitate to withdraw an offer from a recruit due to character issues. There are a few that come to mind like Elijah Hood, as well as that highly rated QB we were after that desperately wanted to go to Clemson but was dishonest about some things.

In the end, admissions standards may be the same...I'm not entirely sure of that myself. But it seems that Dabo is much more careful about the guys he chooses to recruit and the ones he allows to stay on the team i.e. Bellamy, Joe Craig, Martavis Bryant (chick-fil-a bowl suspension).

Re: I tend to ignore all the "four-peating" or "Fear the Thumb"

Aug 12, 2013, 10:43 AM [ in reply to I tend to ignore all the "four-peating" or "Fear the Thumb" ]

hartins, I enjoy reading your honest, thought-provoking posts much more than any on this board. I agree that Dabo and Spurrier have drawn much more national attention to the rivalry, with the success of both programs, and their carefully planned, publicity-driven, contrived little "feud." I personally think it's a smart move on their part, understanding the sound-bite, reality show interest of today's sporting public. I also think that both coaches have helped place the state of SC in the center of the college football universe. I do believe that this era of SC football success is different because of Spurrier (game-coaching ability and development of players), Hyman (facilities), and Fitzgerald (superior strength/conditioning program). I think Dabo has become the man we need to lead this program, and he has made (I think) the right hires in Morris and Venables to build on our recent success. I know most of Tigernet disagrees with me on this point, but for the last four years SC has been the more physical team in the rivalry game. I admit I was not a Dabo fan the first couple of years in, but I honestly see his maturity and growth in the HC job. I guess I still question what I see on the field (excepting that awe-inspiring CFA performance) concerning our S&C program, but I'm willing to hope I'll be proved wrong on that account too, beginning with August 31 in Death Valley!!

Spurrier (game-coaching ability and development of players)

Aug 12, 2013, 1:40 PM

"....Spurrier (game-coaching ability and development of players)..."

The defense has CARRIED uSC during your 3 year run of decent success. The offense has done just enough, but nothing more. Spurrier's game day coaching has shown nothing. And mind explaining how Spurrier has "developed" a single defensive player? How many of Spurrier's (offensive) guys are lighting up the NFL?

"...Fitzgerald (superior strength/conditioning program)..."

One acronym - PEDs. Ol' Joe has kept it going. 5 years, nothing. 6th year - "SEC bodies" began cropping up out of nowhere.

Re: Spurrier (game-coaching ability and development of players)

Aug 12, 2013, 7:08 PM

Spurrier's game day coaching has done nothing? Wow! Obviously, you're not a football fan, just a Clemson fan? You're right about the defense, though. Isn't it ironic that diehard Dabo fans (like yourself) readily give him credit for his "brilliance" as a CEO-type coach, bringing in the right OC and DC, yet Spurrier deserves no CEO props for his hires or his defense, Ha!Ha! The difference is that Spurrier burns our butt with his play-calling, using 2nd string QB's, 5th string RB's, and a point guard. I'd say the man is a very good game-coach. As for Fitzgerald v. Batson, if you haven't figured it out by now, no facts from me will ever penetrate that orange mist in front of your eyes and brain! The PED crap is simply an excuse for losers to use, not a solution. Their strength/conditioning program is miles beyond Clemson, and I know that for a fact! Fitzgerald was the most important piece of the puzzle in player development, and that happened as soon as he came to Columbia. The "SEC" bodies are there because of their workouts, and "ACC" bodies are on Clemson's team because of their workouts.

Aug 12, 2013, 8:30 PM

You are a moron. That 2nd string qb will be the starter this year he is a much better passer than Shaw and he was going up against 3rd and 4th string db's. They scored 27 points tied for the second lowest point total of the year against our d. Also their rb's averaged 3 ypc and that point guard is a first team all-sec player.

Aug 13, 2013, 7:33 AM

They won the game with their second string quarterback, that is a fact. Quit making excuses.

Re: Re: Spurrier (game-coaching ability and development of players)

Aug 13, 2013, 10:51 AM

Yes they did win with a second string quarterback. But he played because he was a better passer than Shaw and against a depleted secondary. Spurrier started him because of that it was said Shaw could play but he wanted to give Shaw more rest . He knew what he was doing, but won't work this year!

Aug 12, 2013, 8:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Spurrier (game-coaching ability and development of players) ]

Spurrier is the only coach Saban says that he worries about. Dabo is a CEO, he is not a coach. He doesn't coach and when he did have some control over playcalling, the record was mediocre.

When I think of the definition of a coach, I think of game planning, game strategy, picking apart an offense or defense on game films, calling the right plays, adjustments on the fly, half-time adjustments, etc. Dabo doesn't do that. He talked the Clemson Athletic Department into paying his coordinators ridiculous amounts of money to keep his butt safe. It worked. One is proven (Morris) and one is not. If you think otherwise, please provide hard evidence other than name-calling to prove your point. Otherwise, I would suggest quit listening to WCCP as it was the gospel truth because the amount of objectivity on those shows is slim to none.

Aug 12, 2013, 8:58 PM

Whatever you say COOT!!!!

Aug 12, 2013, 9:23 PM

If you would like to discuss it, I'm willing, but I find it hilarious that you call me a duck.

Aug 12, 2013, 9:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Spurrier (game-coaching ability and development of players) ]

If I remember correctly it was Oklahoma that went into FSU with a less dynamic offense than ours a few years ago and demoralized them. Who was the DC then?

Aug 12, 2013, 9:24 PM

You mean the same DC whose defense constantly declined? Or the Stoops coattail he was riding? If okie loved his so much, please explain why they allowed him to leave.

If someone came after Chad Morris, would you care if he left?

Re: Re: Re: Spurrier (game-coaching ability and development of players)

Aug 12, 2013, 9:35 PM

Yeah the same one who has significantly improved our defense from 2011 with a short-secondary...yeah that's him!

Can't wait to see your a$$ leaving the Roach in the 3rd quarter this year!

Aug 12, 2013, 9:45 PM

Significantly??? You might want to recheck some of the stats

2012 (12 games) 2011 (13 games)
24.9 pts/game 26.2 pts/game
411 yds/game 379.4 yds/game
3004 pass yds 250.3 yds/game 2638 pass yds 202.9 yds/game
1928 rush yds 160.7 yd/game 2294 rush yds 176.5 yds/game

Where is the significant increase is the defense?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Spurrier (game-coaching ability and development of players)

Aug 12, 2013, 10:00 PM

OU finished 1st in the Big 12 for 6 / 8 years with him as DC. USC has NEVER finished first in the SEC...NEVER. I've yet to find a HUNH offense that milks the clock and provides opposing offenses a lower time of pos. Oregon, Tulsa, WVU all have great offenses but they also increase the stress level on a DC. His defenses stepped up when they had to and I expect no difference at CU.

^^^^ Ignored the facts.***

Aug 13, 2013, 12:29 PM

Aug 12, 2013, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Re: Re: Spurrier (game-coaching ability and development of players) ]

The Roach? Was it you that left the valley early that you died in the past two times Clemson lost?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Spurrier (game-coaching ability and development of players)

Aug 13, 2013, 1:29 PM

Mortimer , Why don't you go suck on one of Spurrier's shirtless #####?!!! It will go wonderfully with the other extremity you've already sucked on!!!!!

Aug 12, 2013, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Re: Spurrier (game-coaching ability and development of players) ]

Blood is thicker than water in regards to Stoops and they go from 11 wins to 9. What's your point? I think Coach V is a solid front 7 coach but his defenses have been torched by solid passing teams. I don't think USC is in that category. We will be much improved in defense. Does that translate to more wins? We will see.

Aug 12, 2013, 9:47 PM

I'll buy your argument. It's rational

Aug 12, 2013, 9:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Spurrier (game-coaching ability and development of players) ]

If I remember correctly it was Oklahoma that went into FSU with a less dynamic offense than ours a few years ago and demoralized them. Who was the DC then?

Aug 12, 2013, 9:14 PM

The one tooth village idiot has his day also... so the coots have had theirs they just don't know how to handle it! Dumb birds the chicken!

Aug 12, 2013, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Spurrier (game-coaching ability and development of players) ]

The only time we have beaten spurrier under Dabo's tenure is when Dabo was calling the plays

Aug 12, 2013, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Spurrier (game-coaching ability and development of players) ]

Dabo doesn't coach? That is just dumb. And please provide a link where saban says he is worried about spurrier

Aug 12, 2013, 10:09 PM

Now do you really think saban would really say something even close to that... really . Oh yea that came from a yard bird .

Aug 12, 2013, 10:30 PM

Actually, he did in an interview.

Aug 12, 2013, 10:40 PM

Put the money where the beak is .... prove it ..

Aug 13, 2013, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Spurrier (game-coaching ability and development of players) ]

then why have they gone 4-0 against us if all you say is true.

Dabo also knows that his program will not acheive elite

Aug 12, 2013, 3:31 PM [ in reply to I tend to ignore all the "four-peating" or "Fear the Thumb" ]

status until he beats a top 10 Carolina team. I hope Carolina stays competitive even after Spurrier leaves. I want both programs to be successful and have the nation's eyes upon them each year like FSU and Fla and FSU and Miami. It'll bring a lot of money to the state and put it on the map. I know some of you will think this is stupid but just the way I feel.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo also knows that his program will not acheive elite

Aug 12, 2013, 4:54 PM

You obviously don't live in Columbia.

Re: I tend to ignore all the "four-peating" or "Fear the Thumb"

Aug 13, 2013, 1:04 PM [ in reply to I tend to ignore all the "four-peating" or "Fear the Thumb" ]

Now this man has some sense, smartest post I've seen on here in a while, enjoyed the read.

Aug 12, 2013, 9:36 AM

Is not all that special. We've done it several times. I know we have 1 streak that was 9 out of 10 years. We do chicken right.

Aug 12, 2013, 1:36 PM

They've been beating UGA, UF, Bama, Tenn, Neb, Mich. as well . That's a lot more than just beating their rival.

Aug 12, 2013, 8:34 PM

While I guess you are a coot who is proud of your accomplishments, beating us and some of the others who have not been up to their past standards, does not prove very much. Winning 4 in a row from a rebuilding Clemson team hardly equates to superlative status. It never was so much for us to crow about beating y'all 9 out of 10 years and 4 and 5 times in a row on several occasions through the years never seemed like much of an accomplishment, but if it makes you happy, than have at it. Every dog has his day, and I guess chickens have theirs too.

Aug 12, 2013, 9:49 AM

Yeah that empty hand thing I have always found odd. Especially in that commercial from several months ago. It looks like its paralyzed or something.. I dont get it.

Aug 12, 2013, 7:12 PM

They do the hand thing with the Alma Mater line, "here's a health Carolina", which suggests pretending to hold a wine glass, or a shot glass, which, to me, is pretty apropo for those folks down there, LOL!

Re: Re: Beating your rival four years in a row...

Aug 12, 2013, 7:55 PM

You should know you're down there every week. You are such a coot lover

No, I find it a better path.........

Aug 12, 2013, 10:56 PM

.......in life to face reality, instead of living in a world of excuses and alibis when my team does not succeed. I can see it now, after SC's 16th win in the last 20 games, circa 2028, half the people on this board are still pitchin' and moanin' about the class of 2009's 12 recruits and how that has ruined Tiger football for eternity! LOL!!

Re: No, I find it a better path.........

Aug 12, 2013, 11:00 PM

Crack pipe?

Aug 13, 2013, 8:41 AM

No thanks, but that does help explain your board name.

Aug 13, 2013, 7:51 AM [ in reply to No, I find it a better path......... ]

So you take the high road. That is fine but whether you want to admit it or not the 12 recruits was a setback the coming of a new HC was a setback. Law will be restored and Clemson will soon be back on top in the rival.

Re: Re: No, I find it a better path.........

Aug 13, 2013, 8:22 AM

I believe any team that goes through a coaching change does usually have a setback too, but u have to apply it not just for your team but the ones u play. So Miami fla state north Carolina etc. the list goes on. should be given that fairness if u use that one.

Aug 12, 2013, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Beating your rival four years in a row... ]

Pretty surprised they can learn an Alma Mater. I guess in 4 years they could get it down.

Aug 12, 2013, 9:59 AM

Big CU Fan have you lost your mind?? The only thing Spurrier has done since he has been at USC is beat Clemson.

Let's see has Clemson ever beaten #1 at home? He beat # 1 Bama at home

He has gone undefeated at home

He has won back to back 11 game seasons...has Clemson ever done that?

He went 8-0 against Clemson Fla UGA Tenn

You don't have to like him but as many on here love say this is the best stretch of winning Clemson has ever had, Spurrier is winning against the best teams Clemson has ever fielded as well as do things never done by a USC team in the SEC.

Just a factual statement to address your pretty silly statement

unsure of your age...

Aug 12, 2013, 11:02 AM

but if you think "Spurrier is beating the best teams Clemson has ever fielded" you're simply stupid regardless of how many years you've spent on this planet.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2013, 11:19 AM

Simple facts...these are the best days of Clemson football. back to back 10 wins had never happened Win the ACC in how many years since decent competition was added? Gone are the pushover ACC teams now Fla St adds some competition and no more cake walk to the national Champ...the rest of the country knows the ACC is a joke.

Now I think Clemson has the potential to be very good this year but the only reason Clemson is getting so much respect is because UGA and SC happen to be on the schedule and happen to be preseason top 10. Doesn't mean anything until the games are played but it sets up for Clemson to win out and be in the top 1-3 end of season.

This means the stars align for one of the few times for an ACC team to prove itself on the field. It is just timing. Remember just a few years ago when So Cal and Texas Oklahoma etc were so good. An undefeated Texas, So Cal, Oklahoma would have beaten out an SEC or ACC team easily. well, now it is the SEC, B10, even PAc 12 show and the ACC gets left out. Until this year..A good Clemson team beating UGA FLa St and USC will have much respect and get into the title game which isn't an option 99 out of 100 years. Most of that is due to the ACC the other part of that is USC not giving much schedule boost in the past because they weren't much competition to help out of conference.

So what's Bama's excuse? Look at their schedule.***

Aug 12, 2013, 11:39 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hey chkn, now we know what generation you're from. Clemson's

Aug 12, 2013, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Beating your rival four years in a row... ]

glory days were played against some of the toughest, meanest, most physical teams ever!! You ever heard of ....Lawrence Taylor? Herscel Walker? how about George Rogers? the last 2 won Heisman trophies and couldn't score on Clemson!!! Best ever? do some research

Aug 12, 2013, 12:29 PM

rag top were you ever in the seats at DV during the 1980 run? the facts are Clemson has never faced the ranked opponents it is facing now. Mainly due to USC sucking for so long and rarely giving much national help after a win along with not having Fla St etc in the new ACC

I saw a weak wake team throttled 82-24 then the tough Duke team, those teams were jokes. I am a Clemson grad and to be honest am pretty sad about those years because I ha to endure the excitement of a championship against Nebraska then explain to any friends outside of Clemson why it mattered after the damning article in Sports Illustrated listing the improprieties my university has performed to win that title. The probation the embarrassment, the shame, The stories of Iptay guys getting together stating they will never lose to USC again and pay whatever you can to make this happen.

I lived it, it seems some of my fellow fans block that our of their minds. Yes, I have been in DV for over 35 years and have een all types of teams. The last 2years beating teams like Fla St, Va Tech, were better teams that have ever touched the field. I base that on ranked opponents in the Valley. This season is the most ranked teams Clemson has ever played. Today is the day of the best football Clemson has ever played and against the best competition Clemson has ever faced.

Aug 12, 2013, 12:43 PM

Don't you chickens ever get tired of this continual charade. By virtue of the statements you've made about past Clemson teams and the fact that after (supposedly) being a Tnet member for almost a decade you still haven't figured out how to respond to a particular post, its obvious you're not a Clemson fan.

Return to fgf and tell them your plaints were unconvincing. I stand by my orginal post in this thread. And being bored beyond the help of my painkillers, this is all the time I'm wasting on you.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SCAR has played the weakest SEC East competiton ever

Aug 12, 2013, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Beating your rival four years in a row... ]

The SEC East has been pretty pitiful during Spurrier's recent run.

Don't forget that the year SOS beat "#1 Bama' ... he lost twice to the real #1 team by huge (embarrassing) margins.

Then ... gasp ... he lost to a pitiful ACC team in his bowl game.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the first game with UA was relatively close.

Aug 12, 2013, 1:02 PM

SECCG - not so much

Re: SCAR has played the weakest SEC East competiton ever

Aug 14, 2013, 1:17 AM [ in reply to SCAR has played the weakest SEC East competiton ever ]

Remember the week after they beat "#1 Alabama?" They lost to a Kentucky team that finished 6-7. Many South Carolina fans are quick to forget that fact when mentioning the 'Bama win.

beat 3 top 10 teams in 1981

Aug 12, 2013, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Beating your rival four years in a row... ]

Georgia (their only loss), Nebraska, and UNC. That's not weak.

Final 1981 UPI poll
1. Clemson
2. Pittsburgh
3. Penn State
4. Texas
5. Georgia
6. Alabama
7. Washington
8. North Carolina
9. Nebraska

10. Michigan
11. Brigham Young
12. Ohio State
13. USC
14. Oklahoma
15. Iowa
16. Arkansas
17. Mississippi State
18. West Virginia
19. So. Mississippi
20. Missouri

Aug 12, 2013, 12:59 PM

Now APEX you know any team could pull an upset anytime. So USC beating #1 Bama has nothing to do with losing to Clemson later or losing to LSU or Auburn.

Hell Clemson has Auburn beaten and were it not for a weird snap flinch Auburn would never have the national champ because a Clemson field goal would have won it.

Now you want to say USC beat bama but lost to a lowly ACC team (I don't think of Clemson or Fla St as lowly ACC teams, rather good teams stuck in the lowly ACC, even so that shows why USC is not an elite team. They can't win a big one and follow it up. I think the better example is beat #1 Bama then lose to a Kentucky team that was much worse than Fla St.

This is why I feel more realistic about Clemson and SC even after being a fan for a long time. neither has proven they can win the big ones and win the small ones in the same season. much less do it year after year.

Both are having their best years recruiting, win totals, and ranking wise, however, they can't seem to do it year in year out without the slip up.

it kills people of both fan bases that someone could be so realistic each year and just enjoy the product on the field for what it is. I would say I am in the majority

Aug 12, 2013, 1:35 PM

The best year of Clemson football 1980 beating 3 ranked teams?

Clemson hasn't beat 3 ranked teams since then? Also, if that was the best team ever, better hope this year is good. Otherwise that one should be thrown out due to probation which is what the rest of the country thinks of.

look at So Cal. Reggie Bush, rest of the country questions that Champ right? If you were around in 80-81 you would remember people questioned that one too due to it being even worse than the Reggie Bush issue.

Re: You are clearly clueless! Crump here is one to take out!***

Aug 12, 2013, 2:45 PM

When the crisis arises the time for preparedness has passed.

You're full of crap

Aug 12, 2013, 3:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Beating your rival four years in a row... ]

USC's 2004 championship was vacated because the guilty party, Reggie Bush, accounted for over 1300 yards of offense, over 900 yards of kick and punt returns, and 15 total touchdowns during that season.

Clemson's championship was upheld because the two major suspects in the investigation, Terry Minor and James Cofer, never enrolled at Clemson and thus could not have helped Clemson win a national championship.

Aug 12, 2013, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Beating your rival four years in a row... ]

Dang it this gets old....

USuC has spanked our ### the last 4 years. Threatening a fifth. I dont know about you guys but Im tired of it! We talk about being a National Contender....but we cant beat our instate rival who we've owned since...uuuh forever. Youd think our university only majored in HISTORY!! Win Now! Win this year! Whatever it takes beat them dirty birds!!

the Ga game is the first test. If we cant beat them, then there should be no talk of a National Title! And we got to play USuc at their house. I just hope all this hype by the Experts as us being a NTC is for real. Beat the Dawgs...beat the ##### and take care of all your business in between. Just sayin!!

Aug 14, 2013, 1:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Beating your rival four years in a row... ]

What the rest of the country thinks of? If you mention the 1981 season to any college football fan I think the only ones that cry and complain about probation are the Kings of Probation themselves, you South Carolina fans. You tend to group people into this "anti-Clemson" group that doesn't really exist outside of your own mind.

As long as we keep them from winning 5 in a row...

Aug 12, 2013, 4:20 PM

I will be just fine.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2013, 1:14 AM

The reason I most pumped about winning 4 in a row is that we are beating good clemson teams, especially the last two years. If CU was coming into our game with a horrible record it wouldn't be such a big deal, but for the most part we are beating the best and most talented teams CU has had in a while. No flame intended by the post. Should be a good game in Cola this year. Hopefully both teams will be healthy, unlike the previous years.

Aug 14, 2013, 1:20 AM

Fair point there. I hope we take this one in November, but looking at the schedules both teams will be rolling in to Columbia with 9-10 wins I think.

Aug 14, 2013, 5:44 AM

I would think that both teams will have 10 wins already, or going for their 10th win with this game. I'm nervous about the upcoming season. I don't think UNC is going to be an easy game like most of our fan base does. I think our 3 road game stretch could be difficult, we just don't play great away from WB stadium. Linebackers are completely inexperienced. However, i think they are talented and some just have to step up, which someone always seems to do. Can't wait for it to start.

Everything goes in cycles!!***

Aug 13, 2013, 5:43 AM

Just trying to get this to over 100 replies***

Aug 13, 2013, 3:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fine...you got your wish.

Aug 13, 2013, 10:14 PM

Cooterville sucks...that is all.

Aug 13, 2013, 10:27 PM

Six of my seven grandkids are 12 and under. They hear nothing but football at least 6 months a year. The two youngest are 4 and 5. At dinner the other night the 5 year old, responding to a conversation about the rivalry, said,"Josh likes Tigers, but they never win." The 11 year old responded, "But they used to." That is the crux of this discussion. They used to."

Aug 14, 2013, 1:23 AM

You act like this is Army vs. Navy with 10+ consecutive victories. This is the pinnacle of South Carolina football, I'd be surprised if they weren't taking some of the head to head match-ups. They have been the better team lately but I'm willing to be a whole year's tuition that this will become "the norm." South Carolina isn't going to just throw Clemson around forever. Eventually things will turn back around like they used to be.

Aug 14, 2013, 5:46 AM

I agree that this is not going to be the norm going forward, but the norm will never be what it used to be either. Going forward I see this rivalry being 50/50 vs the all-time record of 60-40.

better watch out, the 5 yr. old is starting to talk coot!

Aug 14, 2013, 5:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Beating your rival four years in a row... ]

need to nip this bad life choice in the bud now, before it sits in, permanent like.

Replies: 110
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic