Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are we just not releasing the running back on any pass plays
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 936

Are we just not releasing the running back on any pass plays

Sep 30, 2019, 9:09 AM

I watched several times this season when we were in a pass play and it looks like the running back is coached not to release regardless of a blitz or not. At first I thought that we were holding that look There have been multiple times this season where there has been no Blitz, where the back end is just playing coverage and leaving short routes open in the flat, and the running back just stays in to block with no one to block. This leads me to the question, are Etienne and Dixon just that bad at catching the ball out of the backfield, or are we so concerned about giving up a sack that we are just keeping them in on every pass play? Seems like the only time they get involved is when it is a designed play specifically for a pass to the Running Back. It would be nice if they were to release and find an open spot as an outlet....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are we just not releasing the running back on any pass plays

Sep 30, 2019, 10:36 AM

Maybe we're just saving the RB release and wheel route for the playoffs

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are we just not releasing the running back on any pass plays

Sep 30, 2019, 10:52 AM

See that's what I thought initially, but in a close game like last Saturday where it was obvious the soft spot in the coverage was a "running back in the flats" type play, you would think TE or JS would have exploited that at least once...Maybe they are saving it to show in the playoffs, but I sure would like to see it at least enough to break tendency. Right now defenses are playing deep zone coverage and it seems there is no outlet on some pass plays. We have the athletes at WR to make the current scenario work (50/50 balls and such), but to keep the chains moving and be more efficient, why not sneak the RB out to get the first down and maybe break one? Just haven't seen enough of this and wanted to see if anyone else had thoughts. I also think this has to do with the post Renfro era at Clemson. He was so good on 3rd down at finding the soft spot and catching the ball. We just don't have that consistently at the moment. Hopefully Amari will fill in this role the more he plays.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 936
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic