Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Re: June 25, 1950
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,458

Jun 29, 2019, 5:10 PM

My records show my date of return to active military duty was Sept. 23, 1950, which according to the perpetual calendar was on a Saturday. However, I did not arrive in Killeen, TX, until Sunday, June 24, and reported, as ordered, to Fort Hood on Monday, Sept. 25, 1950.

The first day involved being assigned to a unit and barrack, administrative details. issue of clothing and other equipment and a few other odds and ends. During the administrative portion, the officer in charge was reviewing my personal record and said to me, "Sgt. Joe21, I see you have a degree in engineering. We can offer you a direct commission as a First Lt. if you so desire". What's the catch? "Well, you have to enlist for a three year term". No thanks, my recall is for 21 months, or less, and I do not plan to make the military my career. Since that item was taken care of, we proceeded to other items. I learned we would have eleven days of refresher training and after that we would probably be shipped out. I must admit the "shipped out" words did not envision my being sent to a cushy position some where in the lower 48 states.

The second day we had a more detailed overview of our refresher training and a clarification on the eleven day schedule. Actually, the brochure should have read--"Eleven days and nights. . . . . ". On the third day we began our refresher training. I though I was in pretty good physical condition but soon learned I had made a faulty appraisal. Texas, in September, and particularly at Fort Hood, was an excellent reminder of the conditions one would encounter should they miss the train to heaven.

I don't recall if we were eligible for a pass to Killeen during those eleven days of training but it didn't matter. When we had a little free time, we were in our bunks seeking a few moments of rest with no thoughts of visiting the outside world. Those eleven days and nights finally passed and we were told to pack our gear for a long train ride. We were bussed down to a railroad siding where a huge steam locomotive was belching black smoke. Sitting behind the locomotive were about 12 - 14 passenger cars. I don't remember how many passengers were assigned to each car but there were several hundred troops waiting to board.

I was in the last truck to arrive and our truck stopped at the last car. As our name was called, we boarded the train. I was beginning to think there would be no room for me on the train but, unfortunately, I was the next to the last man to board the train. About two minutes after I sat down, there was a couple of loud toots from the locomotive and we slowly left the environs of Fort Hood. We soon learned our destination was Camp Stoneman, CA, near San Francisco.

That was a long train ride and a very tiresome trip. Sleeping in a sitting position in a rocking car is not my cup of tea. There was no diner on the train so arrangements were made for picking up boxed meals along the way. I don't recall the length of time it took us to arrive at our destination but it was a long, long ride.

Camp Stoneman was primarily a reception center for troops going to or from the Pacific Theater. Upon our arrival in the afternoon, we were assigned to our barracks and told to await further orders. At least we now had the luxury of a GI mess hall and for our evening meal, some of the best food since leaving Fort Hood. Little did I know that would be my only meal at Camp Stoneman.

With a full stomach and a tired body, every one was in their bunk and sound asleep when the sound for "lights out" sounded at 10:00 PM. About 11:00 PM, the lights came on and everyone ordered to "listen up". The men who's name was called were to answer, put on proper dress and report to the Orderly Room. The first name called? Joe21 !!! About five other men in our barrack were also called. When we had all arrived at the Orderly Room there were about twenty-five men.

And then we got the news. "Men, in the morning you will board a troop transport at Travis Air Force Base on your way to Japan. In the meantime, your shot records will be brought up to date, you will be issued winter clothing and equipment, field equipment and other necessary items. You will then return to your barracks, pack all of your equipment and return with all of your equipment to the orderly room. Your equipment will be loaded on a truck for transport to Travis AFB and a bus will transport you to Travis AFB. Upon your arrival at Travis AFB you will be provided a hot breakfast before your departure. Are there any questions"? (I though I heard a pin drop)

*********************************************************************************************

(This is a good place to stop for now. I'm already tired just thinking about those days of long ago. And we have only started our journey. From Travis AFB we go to Honolulu, to Guam and then to Tokyo, Japan. Board a ship for Inchon, South Korea, and learn why I was issued winter clothing as it's now below freezing. Board another truck for Yongdongpo` and two days later another truck for Pyongyang, North Korea, arriving there Nov. 1, 1950, and the temperature already below ZERO. More later)

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2019, 5:44 PM

Looking forward to the rest of the story

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jun 29, 2019, 5:57 PM

Me too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Whoa.. I feel cold and it's

Jun 29, 2019, 8:41 PM

90*! Thx Joe for your stories & of service & survival.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Whoa.. I feel cold and it's

Jun 30, 2019, 8:02 AM

Agree - LBB - .... Joe’s the best !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Yep - Joe is better than .....

Jun 30, 2019, 8:01 AM [ in reply to Re: June 25, 1950 ]

..... Paul Harvey !! -:)

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Joe...

Jun 29, 2019, 8:47 PM

love EVERY SINGLE ONE of your stories.
You are a tigernet.com treasure

God Bless!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2019, 8:22 AM

As always, a great read! Thank you, Joe, for both your wonderful stories and your service. As we approach July 4, stories like this make me so appreciative of what so many others have done to make our country safe. So many brave people have made the ultimate sacrifice.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,458
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic