Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rattlesnakes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 3,139

Rattlesnakes

Oct 3, 2017, 9:03 PM

Rattlesnakes were plentiful in the Northern part of Florida where I grew up. Killing a large rattlesnake or one with many rattles was cause for bragging but several other people had to see the snake in person to confirm the size or number of rattles.

When I was a young kid, I heard someone tell a story about a local grocery store owner who had a board in his store with many rattlesnake rattles attached. Invariably, someone would go into the store, see the board with the rattles and tell the store keeper he had killed or seen a rattler with more rattles than what was displayed on the board. The sore keeper kept adding rattles to board every time someone made a boast. Eventually, the board was covered with rattles of every size and it was a hot topic of conversation around town.

One hot summer day, several of us young boys were down at the drug store soda fountain. A short time later, one of our friends came into town and announced he had killed a huge rattler and wanted to show it to us. It was a huge snake but it had only about six or seven rattles. He cut the rattles off and wanted to dispose of the snake.

As we were chatting, one of the local "butter and egg" men drove up to a nearby restaurant to make his delivery. He drove a Ford Model "A" four door sedan. There were no windows in his car, he had to install celluloid sections when it was cold or raining. The gas tank was located under the front seat and the gas cap under the driver's cushion. One of the guys took the snake, lifted up the cushion over the gas cap and coiled the snake around the gas cap.

We watched as the "butter and egg" man came out of the restaurant, got in his car and drove off. We never knew what happened. He may have found the snake when he filled up the tank or when the snake began to smell. We could only imagine his thoughts when he found the snake. Had he been sitting on top of a rattlesnake? How did the snake get there? After these many years, I would still like to know what happened.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was you, you crazy young whippersnapper!?!?

Oct 3, 2017, 9:15 PM

I knew something didn't feel right, so I reached under the seat and pulled out that dagnabbit snake. I ran off the road into Miss bucks ABS yard cracking 413 eggs and smearing 8 cakes of butter across her petunias.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You smeared some "butter" across her "petunias." Nice.***

Oct 3, 2017, 10:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Replies: 2
| visibility 3,139
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic