Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell seems to do his best coaching
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Brownell seems to do his best coaching

Feb 17, 2020, 9:09 AM

in bigger games, at least this year for sure.

I applaud his and the team's efforts Saturday. That was a great game plan and solid execution that led to a huge win for the program.

If we can get that type of effort from them, coaches and players, in the games we should win then this could actually be a turning point for Brownell and the program in my opinion.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Why not that effort every game?***

Feb 17, 2020, 9:15 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's what I am saying

Feb 17, 2020, 9:24 AM

If we can get that same effort in the big games and others then we are at a potential turning point.

There have been some games from both a coaching and player standpoint that we did not have it, Wake, Miami, the coots are examples where either the coaching or effort from the players just wasn't there.

I'd love to see this program turn it around.

Answer with a set of questions...

Feb 17, 2020, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Why not that effort every game?*** ]

Have you ever went 5-5 in baseball?
Have you ever scored 30 points in basketball?
Have you ever beaten a player clearly better than you in racket ball or tennis?
Have you ever shot a great round ( i.e your lowest) in golf?

Why not always perform at your highest personal level every time?

Athletes have a normal range of performance. Lots of factors including physical and mental health, numerous / specific skill levels and effort contribute to how wide a range. The more elite and skilled athletes, the higher and more consistent their performance. In a team sport, individual ranges combine with the performance range of the other players. In addition, team dynamics and coaching contribute to the team’s performance. So lots of variance is to be expected.

Fans including myself latch on the effort and coaching as the primary reasons for performance variations. I have to remind myself that team performance variations is normal and player skill levels are a large reason why.

Im pretty sure Brad does the same coaching job every game

Feb 17, 2020, 9:26 AM

its the players that get up for big games and decide not to for other games. Its all about leadership from the team. We finally changed in football once the leadership model changed with players like Deshaun and Christian Wilkins didn't let people sleep on their responsibilities.

Are you suggesting our players need to stop

Feb 17, 2020, 9:33 AM

elevating their game?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

no, more that they should stop snoozing in the others***

Feb 17, 2020, 9:43 AM

Re: Im pretty sure Brad does the same coaching job every game

Feb 17, 2020, 9:36 AM [ in reply to Im pretty sure Brad does the same coaching job every game ]

I agree with you. It is silly to think he doesnt bring it every game. Maybe player focus and the the other team impact results but ones who think his intensity is a function how big the game is are just misinformed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

when

Feb 17, 2020, 11:33 AM

The shots go in he is a much better coach!

So the game plan for Wake was a solid strategy?

Feb 17, 2020, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Im pretty sure Brad does the same coaching job every game ]

The fact that we never attacked the zone like we did in the previous game against Syracuse is all on the players?

Don't get me wrong, yes some of it definitely falls on the players but there are times that our strategy hasn't put them in position to be successful in some of our lesser quality opponents too.

Also note, my post is not "Bashing" the coach, it's quite the opposite. I am applauding the effort by all involved and hope it can become more consistent.

Re: So the game plan for Wake was a solid strategy?

Feb 17, 2020, 10:03 AM

Maybe it wasnt or maybe we didnt execute. Sometimes things that dont work that you think will work. Didnt seem like we adjusted or did much very well that day. That , Miami , and VT are losses we should not have but with the quadrant criteria it probably wouldnt help us much anyway on getting it the tourney

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you really think that Brownell coached our players

Feb 17, 2020, 10:16 AM [ in reply to So the game plan for Wake was a solid strategy? ]

NOT to attack Wake's zone? Do you believe that he told our guys, "Don't attack the zone. Instead, take as many three pointers as you can and don't worry about trying to get the ball inside?"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Perhaps you could provide a detailed analysis of

Feb 17, 2020, 10:28 AM

the zone defense Wake used that night, what you think Brownell was trying to do against it and why you think that was a successful approach (or alternatively what you think he could have done differently from a pure game plan perspective). I think that would really help this conversation move along. TIA

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I think he didn't get them under control,

Feb 17, 2020, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Do you really think that Brownell coached our players ]

which is the coaches job, if he wanted them to do something differently. I also think he didn't do well with in game adjustments in that game as well which could be related directly to what I just mentioned.

Do you think he coached a great game against Wake?

Not sure why you feel like attacking me since I said in my OP that I thought he did a great job in the Louisville game as well as other bigger profile games. I can't even give him a compliment and hope for consistency without you getting all butt hurt.

I didn’t attack you.

Feb 17, 2020, 12:56 PM

I asked a question, which was a very reasonable one based on your post.

Don’t be a snowflake.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I'm definitely no snowflake Queen Karen!

Feb 17, 2020, 1:14 PM

What I don't understand is that you see no flaws in our program? You only disagree whenever someone else states one from their opinion even if they support it with facts.

I have never once seen you agree with a poster that states a problem with our program other than facilities or fan support. Do you honestly believe that those are the only issues with the program?

Answer my question....Do you think Brownell coached the Wake game well? Do you think he controlled his players and/or made in game adjustments sufficiently?

I've never said that I don't see any flaws

Feb 17, 2020, 1:32 PM

within our program.

I've previously stated that recruiting has been Brownell's biggest challenge, which is why I believe our facility and staff upgrades were so important.

This is also why I've campaigned so hard for people to give him more time, because we are seeing the effect of these program enhancements on recruiting.

If Brownell isn't able to deliver after having ample time with the facilities and staff he requested, then we can definitively conclude that his coaching is the problem. Prior to that, it's pure conjecture that he's a bad coach or bad recruiter when he hasn't had the tools he needs to show what he can do.

As for the Wake game, Brad took responsibility for us not being better prepared to handle Wake's matchup zone. This was a wrinkle we weren't prepared for. Does that mean Brownell didn't coach well? Maybe, but I also know that coaches can't prepare for everything. He attempted to coach this on the fly during the game, but there is only so much coaching that can occur when a team throws something new at you.

More than anything, our loss to Wake was due to poor shooting. We shot a pathetic 30% from the floor, including 4-21 on threes. A lot of those were good looks that we didn't convert. I have a hard time faulting coaching when players had an off night shooting. We also had 15 turnovers.

Something new?!?!? Wake has been using a matchup

Feb 17, 2020, 2:00 PM

zone for more than just this season! Danny Manning used the matchup zone almost all of last year. If Brad Brownell wasn't prepared to see them use a matchup zone then that should be the end of it, he should be fired today based solely on pure incompetence.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Whose job is it to motivate the players?***

Feb 17, 2020, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Im pretty sure Brad does the same coaching job every game ]

They're gettign a free education to play basketball...

Feb 17, 2020, 10:13 AM

How much more motivation should they really need?

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic