Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Other Covid headlines...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 279

Other Covid headlines...

Aug 25, 2020, 11:59 AM

"Germany, Spain record highest daily coronavirus infection rate since April as cases surge across Europe

Germany and Spain have both recorded their highest respective daily coronavirus infection rate since April, with other countries in the region also reporting a sharp rise in new cases.

Several European countries have imposed travel restrictions, social-distancing measures and mask-wearing procedures to prevent the spread of the virus..."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/20/coronavirus-germany-spain-record-highest-daily-cases-since-april.html

From Reuters

"ROME (Reuters) - Italy’s health ministry on Saturday reported 1,071 new coronavirus infections in the past 24 hours, exceeding 1,000 cases in a day for the first time since May when the government eased rigid lockdown measures..."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy/italy-tops-1000-daily-coronavirus-cases-for-first-time-since-may-idUSKBN25I0JG

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lousy global warming

Aug 25, 2020, 12:04 PM

Hurricane winds spreading coronavirus to Europe again

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Imma be careful with that...

Aug 25, 2020, 12:07 PM

we could have another surge

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Imma be careful with that...

Aug 25, 2020, 12:10 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you don't know Joe Biden

Aug 25, 2020, 12:13 PM

he has a plan

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you don't know Joe Biden

Aug 25, 2020, 12:26 PM

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My take is...

Aug 25, 2020, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Imma be careful with that... ]

the resurgence of Chinesevirus in Europe cast great doubt on the supposition that the US has failed in comparison to EU nations.

Imo, locking down only seems to prolong the agony. It's like holding your breath under water. You can stay down as long as you can stand it but you must surface eventually and take that breath.

I saw an article yesterday stating the obvious, that Sweden

Aug 25, 2020, 12:48 PM

seems to have reached herd immunity, and this was compared to the surge your article talks about. Just when I thought I was reading the rare honest article, it just had to end with this:

"But Sweden has had more deaths than its neighbors, so it has come with a cost." Wait, ahem, I thought the article was about a resurgence that Sweden isn't having. We have no way of knowing that Sweden will experience more deaths. I will predict less, at worst being equal. But the bias of the writers simply would not let them recognize the fundamental logic error of that statement. The Sweden = bad fix is in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I saw an article yesterday stating the obvious, that Sweden

Aug 25, 2020, 1:12 PM

The death rate in Sweden is high. I think I figured it around .06% last week. Imo, the great numbers of false positives may be making our death rate much lower than it should be. I appreciate that many deaths are attributed to covid because the dead bodies tested positive yet covid didn't cause or contribute to that death.

The president, prime minister or whatever a EU nation leader is called controls how their nation deal with the pandemic. That is not so in America. Governors here determine if, how, when, and which lockdowns are needed and implement lockdowns accordingly.

Therefore, comparing an EU nation to the US is foolish and a fool's ploy. I think it's also unfair to compare each state to EU nations. The fact is that EU nations were bombarded with covid spreading travelers from China all at once. Many were passing through EU so they could get to the US.

Maybe it's fair to compare NY, NJ and some of the other states which EU travelers landed but it's not fair to compare EU nations to states which got the bug second or third hand.

There are many other factors which make comparisons foolish.

Could be. I'm going to step a little bit out onto limb here

Aug 25, 2020, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Imma be careful with that... ]

and predict that any resurgence will be limited to locales and targets. We might be approaching herd immunity - not there yet - but if the authoritative estimates are correct we could be approaching 100 million actual cases. NY state seems to be done with it. I imagine some states are like western Europe, in that they haven't really had a first wave, so they will have one. But a national wave that looks anything like the first one might not be possible now. IE, Sweden lite. All that is mere conjecture, with just enough data behind it to be at least hopeful.

Re: Could be. I'm going to step a little bit out onto limb here

Aug 25, 2020, 12:48 PM

I read one researcher propose that 50% of American have immunity due to getting the some form of the flu over the last couple of years. When that is coupled with a 20% population showing a positive case it reaches the magical number of 70% immunity rate which is universally considered herd immunity.

I wouldn't start a thread with that theory but it's certainly something we should remember over the next couple months as we reach a 20% case rate.

Right. All that data is a bit premature for hard predictions

Aug 25, 2020, 12:54 PM

but the most reasonable position is to be optimistic. There is more objective reason for optimism than pessimism. That has always been the case with this, but....

Small towns are going to have a wave at some point...

Aug 25, 2020, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Could be. I'm going to step a little bit out onto limb here ]

I've driven all through the upstate in the Rock Hill area the last week and there are little towns like Lancaster and Sharon where not one person is wearing a mask and people are all on top of each other chatting. If anyone brings it there, they are going to have an outbreak.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Has to be fake. According to just about everybody, only

Aug 25, 2020, 12:40 PM

Americans look like the people in the left part of the photo. That must be Atlanta or someplace.

The world is coming around to our way of thinking

Aug 25, 2020, 12:53 PM

Spain, Netherlands, Australia, Japan, Israel, all shut down and controlled it only to let it go eventually with true "second waves". You can't afford to control it. Your best bet is to reopen as much as possible, wear masks, and keep hospitals from overflowing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most states did that with outstanding success.

Aug 25, 2020, 1:14 PM

We win again.

They must have morons for leaders***

Aug 25, 2020, 1:04 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

That's disrespectful...

Aug 25, 2020, 1:15 PM

to the progressive European leaders. Not saying it's a bad thing.

Re: Other Covid headlines...

Aug 25, 2020, 1:29 PM

"Germany, Spain record highest daily coronavirus infection rate since April as cases surge across Europe

Germany and Spain have both recorded their highest respective daily coronavirus infection rate since April, with other countries in the region also reporting a sharp rise in new cases.

Several European countries have imposed travel restrictions, social-distancing measures and mask-wearing procedures to prevent the spread of the virus..."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/20/coronavirus-germany-spain-record-highest-daily-cases-since-april.html

From Reuters

"ROME (Reuters) - Italy’s health ministry on Saturday reported 1,071 new coronavirus infections in the past 24 hours, exceeding 1,000 cases in a day for the first time since May when the government eased rigid lockdown measures..."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy/italy-tops-1000-daily-coronavirus-cases-for-first-time-since-may-idUSKBN25I0JG

I remember hearing on FoxFakeNews that C-19 is a Democratic Party hoax to make TheRump look bad, per TheRump. (He's so ugly it's too easy to make him look really bad. And that's before he opens his mouth; his words are really, really ugly.)
And, I heard on FoxFakeNews (FFN) that C-19 would magically go away when the weather turns warm, per TheRump. Just wondering: when will summer start for TheRump?

Here's TheRump in action. The US significantly leads the world in C-19 deaths, due to the lack of centralized leadership. At least 30,000 early deaths are on TheRump, as he kept telling FFN watchers it was a hoax.

Do cultists think the Pillow Man knows more than Fauci? Or do cultists believe the CDC is only out to get TheRump? Are cultists paranoid, too??

Has FoxFakeNews and TheRump been lying to the cultists? (No cultist ever answers that question. Yes, FFN has been continually lying and hoping to keep TheRump in power.) Are they ashamed to have been conned?

Re: Other Covid headlines...

Aug 25, 2020, 1:29 PM

From Reuters

I remember hearing on FoxFakeNews that C-19 is a Democratic Party hoax to make TheRump look bad, per TheRump. (He's so ugly it's too easy to make him look really bad. And that's before he opens his mouth; his words are really, really ugly.)
And, I heard on FoxFakeNews (FFN) that C-19 would magically go away when the weather turns warm, per TheRump. Just wondering: when will summer start for TheRump?

Here's TheRump in action. The US significantly leads the world in C-19 deaths, due to the lack of centralized leadership. At least 30,000 early deaths are on TheRump, as he kept telling FFN watchers it was a hoax.

Do cultists think the Pillow Man knows more than Fauci? Or do cultists believe the CDC is only out to get TheRump? Are cultists paranoid, too??

Has FoxFakeNews and TheRump been lying to the cultists? (No cultist ever answers that question. Yes, FFN has been continually lying and hoping to keep TheRump in power.) Are they ashamed to have been conned?

Replies: 19
| visibility 279
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic