Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For you oldtimers...ran across a picture that I have never
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

For you oldtimers...ran across a picture that I have never

May 14, 2017, 7:56 PM
IMG_1129.JPG(157.6 K)

seen. Doing some research on early pro football teams, and looking over Brookland Dodgers found this pic of Banks McFadden. Notice them "shootin irons."
Would like to know more if anyone has some history. Thanks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pls don't post this on P&R board

May 14, 2017, 8:04 PM

The anti-gun liberals will go nuts!

??

1981-82

May 14, 2017, 9:24 PM

I was a supervisor at Fike Intramural Department and Banks along with Fred Cone were directors ( mainly figureheads). Neither actually did any work, Fred would go down to the pool to look at the girls. Banks would call me every now and then to come up and throw the football with him in his oversized office! Both really good guys and great athletes!

Re: 1981-82

May 14, 2017, 9:28 PM

Very cool.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2017, 9:59 PM [ in reply to 1981-82 ]
IMG_1114.JPG(174.2 K)

You mean this Fred Cone?

May 14, 2017, 10:02 PM
IMG_1120.JPG(191.6 K)

Or this Fred Cone?

Banks was intramural director in early 70's & wasn't a figurehead

May 14, 2017, 10:13 PM [ in reply to 1981-82 ]

He actively ran the department. I remember signing up our intramural basketball & softball teams, and he was the one doing the work. Nice guy too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Once came and opened gym for us

May 14, 2017, 10:54 PM

Once came and opened gym for us during a holiday period after my brother was brave enough to call him at home and complain that we locals needed access even though school was out! That would not happen today! Great Clemson man!

LOL! My first thought was ....what if a player made that

May 14, 2017, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Pls don't post this on P&R board ]

poster today?

Re: Pls don't post this on P&R board

May 16, 2017, 2:04 AM [ in reply to Pls don't post this on P&R board ]

> The anti-gun liberals will go nuts!
>
> ??

Please stop. Smh

Re: For you oldtimers...ran across a picture that I have never

May 14, 2017, 8:08 PM

That is one of the coolest pics I've ever seen!
By the way, I'm a huge Dodger fan. Brooklyn didn't have a pro football team back in the day did they? TIA

May 14, 2017, 8:13 PM
IMG_1128.JPG(91.1 K)
IMG_1130.JPG(239.7 K)

Yes they did. Here is another.

May 14, 2017, 8:19 PM

Outstanding! Thanks G. B .

May 14, 2017, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Re: For you oldtimers...ran across a picture that I have never ]

G.B. , this is probably obvious but I want to be 100% sure. Banks played for the pro football team Brooklyn Dodgers at Ebbetts Field and was their leading rusher?

May 14, 2017, 9:01 PM

Yes.....played only one season. Reminds me of George Gipp of Notre Dame. McFadden was the 4th pick in the draft in 1940. Played in 11 games and had the longest run from scrimmage that year (75 yards) for the league. He averaged 4.8 yards a carry. On defense, he had 2 interceptions.

May 14, 2017, 9:30 PM

Thanks

May 14, 2017, 8:44 PM [ in reply to Re: For you oldtimers...ran across a picture that I have never ]

I bet there were fewer concussions in the those days , but probably a lot more broken noses .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2017, 9:32 PM

I'm going to guess lots of blood too and a few broken, chipped teeth.

May 14, 2017, 8:10 PM

This guy deserves some serious TU's for his research!

That's great. Have never seen it before either.

May 14, 2017, 8:16 PM

Thanks for posting.

I'll ask some friends and see what they say.

POTD

May 14, 2017, 8:28 PM

This should make it. Thank you thank you thank you!

Should be donated to the Clemson archives if it's not already. Yeah, we really should be proud of all our tiger traditions. Never got enough respect!!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Awesome! Banks was the man.***

May 14, 2017, 9:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2017, 9:17 PM

I've never seen that photo. I'll check with his daughter here in Clemson. She may not be aware of this photo.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did he only play one year because he went in the service?***

May 14, 2017, 9:47 PM

Re: Did he only play one year because he went in the service?***

May 14, 2017, 9:57 PM

Yes, he served during WWll then returned to Clemson and the rest is history.

gracias, gator....+1***

May 14, 2017, 9:52 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2017, 9:54 PM

Great thread. Love pics and thanks much.

May 14, 2017, 10:42 PM

Well, I've definitely seen this picture but I am trying to remember the exact story. Banks McFadden is my grandaddy. I'm pretty sure it came from the 1940 Cotton Bowl program or promo material for the game. The game was played in Dallas. I'm going to stop by my mom's house tomorrow and look through some of his things to see if I can find the original or any other clues. Will keep y'all posted! So fun to see this one! And for the record, whoever said my grandaddy was not a figurehead in the intramural department is correct : ) They may have expected him to be but when he took the job he traveled all over the country with my gran to look at the best intramural programs and bring back the best ideas to Clemson. A lot of people would tell you that he built the foundation of that program to make it what it is today. He loved his job, loved the students, loved Clemson.

In 1978 Banks knelled down on one knee to shake my

May 14, 2017, 10:58 PM

8 year old Son's hand and welcomed him to the relatively new intramural building (Fike ?) and when he & I left the bldg to watch Orange-White FB Spring game, my Son said he wanted to go to school at Clemson.

And, in 1987 he did & graduated and headed to Law School..and still loves & follows the Tigers.

As a student sports writer for The TiGER in 1965 I got to interview "Bonnie" Banks, and remembered that he is still one of only a handful of college athletes to be a 2-time All-American in two different sports in same playing year.

He helped win the 1st Bowl Clemson was in as a runner & punt returner & pass catcher. Truly a great athlete.

What a gentleman & truly nice guy..and so tall & lanky. From Falls ? SC.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In 1978 Banks knelled down on one knee to shake my

May 14, 2017, 11:02 PM

great story! i will add it to my archive...seriously. i'm hoping to write a book one day. these are the moments that meant the most to him. yes - he was from great falls, sc.

May 15, 2017, 3:01 AM
IMG_1180.JPG(270.7 K)

Your memory of your granddad adds another piece to the puzzle. The photograph of Banks wearing chaps that read Simmons, must have something to do with Hardin-Simmons in Texas. I think it was a college similar to Clemson back then. Their mascot is the Cowboys. You mentioned that if your memory was correct, the picture was some promotional material for the Cotton Bowl. Maybe a photograph that your granddad signed for someone while in Dallas for the bowl game.

Someone mentioned earlier that Banks, and I hope you don't mind me calling him Banks. I prefer "Bonnie Banks." Someone mentioned him being an All-American in two sports. He didn't miss far from being All-American in three sports.

I found one other picture....and I sincerely hope you don't mind me passing along. From just your few sentences, you don't seem like you would have any objections. I found this photograph to be very touching. I don't know if it's you, but I'm sure it's of someone in your family.

I hope one day you write that book!

May 15, 2017, 9:53 PM

Y'all - I don't even know if I'm doing this right. I'm much more savvy on Instagram and Facebook : ) Love reading all your kind words and hearing of your interest in my grandaddy. I wish he were here to be part of the conversation himself. He was one of the best storytellers ever.

GatorBowl I certainly don't mind you sharing that picture. It is actually my daughter - Lucy - Banks' great-granddaughter. We live in Clemson and I take my children to Woodland Cemetery often to visit. I posted that picture as part of a blog post I wrote about 'The Clemson I Love' - you can find the post {along with some other fun photos of my grandaddy} here - http://www.mywordsandwonder.com/2017/01/seventy-six-years-ago-today-clemson.html

wow... if Banks McFadden is your grandfather, then anything

May 15, 2017, 12:29 AM [ in reply to Re: For you oldtimers...ran across a picture that I have never ]

you post here about him is automatically some of the most intriguing and interesting info ever on TigerNet. Your grandfather is a Clemson legend, so please feel free to post anything about him, I would be fascinated to read it. And I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. Looking forward to your future contributions!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Re: wow... if Banks McFadden is your grandfather, then anything

May 15, 2017, 9:44 PM

dark side of the moo® Ha! Thanks for the kind welcome. My husband is laughing at me because I've been on TigerNet for over a year - just checking in every now and then but never posting anything. I will definitely try to be more active - what a great community. Thanks for honoring my grandaddy...although he would never admit it himself he is very deserving of it all.

The Pride of Flopeye.

May 15, 2017, 2:37 AM [ in reply to Re: For you oldtimers...ran across a picture that I have never ]

Best ever and forever humble.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2017, 10:50 PM

The heisman is named after him right?

Look how big he is!

And with speed! Would of been a tough man to bring down!

May 14, 2017, 11:07 PM

Thanks for sharing these pictures and stories, I have enjoyed this thread of history.

May 14, 2017, 11:54 PM

A Clemson man needs no introduction... but it's not what they've done on the field that really matters, it's the countless hours behind the scenes that never gets recognition, nor is it wanted that makes them the greatest!!!

Thanks again for posting.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of his grandchildren thinks it's from the 1940 Cotton

May 15, 2017, 7:54 AM

Bowl. I'll let you know if I find out anything else.

miss those days

May 15, 2017, 9:56 PM

back when players could take fire arms out onto the field of play, not this wussy stuff they play now.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Handguns??? Dang, football was for keeps back then.....geez***

May 16, 2017, 12:11 AM

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic