Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Okay team, anybody know where I can get some
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Okay team, anybody know where I can get some

Nov 19, 2019, 11:37 AM

decent meat thermometer probes?

I've had to ThermPro units I got off Amazon. 3 different probes have decided to run 25-35 degrees hotter than they should after only a few uses. This last one crapped out after brewing beer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lungey and helpful answer all in one:

Nov 19, 2019, 11:47 AM

Have you looked at Meater?

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one. They are asspensive but if they are as advertised would be truly badass.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have one and not used it yet

Nov 19, 2019, 11:58 AM

got it thru the crowd funding put it away when we moved and have yet to find it.

One day I will do a full attic search for that baby.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PapaG find that thing and give us a lunge review!! ***

Nov 19, 2019, 12:06 PM

Don't buy them from Amazon - I have heard others with

Nov 19, 2019, 11:52 AM

this issue - buy direct from Thermaworks.

Their MK4 is the best one imo.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here is the warning off of the Thermaworks site:

Nov 19, 2019, 11:55 AM

Warning regarding ThermoWorks products at Amazon, eBay and other sites

The lowest internet prices for ThermoWorks products are available at thermoworks.com and through special offers received by subscribers to ThermoWorks emails.

Amazon, eBay, walmart.com, sears.com and their sellers are NOT Authorized Dealers. There are unscrupulous sellers at those sites who have purchased ThermoWorks products at retail prices and are then re-selling them at significantly elevated prices, sometimes 2 to 4 times the Authorized List Price. After receiving numerous complaints from customers who were victimized by those listings, we felt it was important to do what we could to warn unsuspecting consumers.

Furthermore, we have received a growing number of complaints that such sellers are offering counterfeit, copycat, stolen units, and "Open-Box" units as authentic NEW ThermoWorks products. Thus, from January 1st of 2016, technical support and warranty coverage are only available on ThermoWorks products that are purchased direct from ThermoWorks or from ThermoWorks' Authorized Dealers. In this way we know the consumer is fully protected and we can protect our reputation for treating customers fairly. Extended Info

Thermaworks doesn't seem to have

Nov 19, 2019, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Don't buy them from Amazon - I have heard others with ]

what I need. This is one of the units I've got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0194TQ394/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just need some new, better pokey parts.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thought you were looking for instant read - here is what I

Nov 19, 2019, 12:11 PM

have:

This model and it works great, but only has 2 probes

https://www.thermoworks.com/ThermaQ-Blue

It can be risky bying replacement probes from anyone but OEM

Nov 19, 2019, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Thermaworks doesn't seem to have ]

They have to match the calibration points. I found out the hearsay that this is not standard even with the same manufacturer. I had a Maverick that I kinked the cable on and bought what I thought was the right replacement probe only to find that the new probes are calibrated for a newer receiver.

I have a MEATER and the FireBoard and like them both very much. MEATER is nice with no cables.
FireBoard is great with a lot of stuff on the smoker or very high temps.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Fireboard is the one I want to try

Nov 19, 2019, 12:16 PM

heard great things about it. Might add to my Xmas list. :)

Fireboard Has a fan controller now

Nov 19, 2019, 12:20 PM

That i want to get for my UDS I think it’s more accurate than the MEATER but both are good enough for cooking.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I have similar. Meat probe works great but I’m air temp

Nov 19, 2019, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Thermaworks doesn't seem to have ]

Probe #3.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just buy the $16 replacement 2 pack off amazon

Nov 19, 2019, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Thermaworks doesn't seem to have ]

I can usually get about 3 - 4 months out of my grill probe, then I'll cycle the meat probe to that one. Rinse and repeat

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078561GNT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had my gauge for about 3 years now +/- a few months. Probably ordered these 3 or 4 times? Math is all over the place, but you get the idea.

wait, wut?

Nov 19, 2019, 12:46 PM

Grill probe is completely different from meat probe. One is blunt and open-ended, the other is pointy and closed-ended.

How you using them interchangeably?

grill probe:

meat probe:

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

only difference is the length of the probe

Nov 19, 2019, 12:55 PM

nomsayin

for me the life expectancy on them was the same. usually, mine get ruined b/c i get too ###### up while smoking something and leave them out and it'll rain or something.

I found it easier to just order the two pack, and rotate them once the one I'm using for meat kicks the bucket.

FYI - the ones I get from amazon aren't bent at a 90, more like a 45

I hear you, I've just found the closed meat probes

Nov 19, 2019, 1:00 PM

aren't nearly as accurate as the open grill probes that capture ambient temp better.

Enjoy

Nov 19, 2019, 12:03 PM

Long read but you should find your answer here:

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/thermometers

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Re: Enjoy

Nov 19, 2019, 12:08 PM

aerozepptallica so I can find this later

I have two from Thermoworks, an RT301WA and a Dot alarm

Nov 19, 2019, 12:18 PM

The instant read I have: https://www.thermoworks.com/RT301WA

The Dot: https://www.thermoworks.com/DOT

The Dot is what I use for longer session oven cooking (think ham and turkey), for keeping track of the turkey fryer's oil (I have the 12-inch probe .. heh heh) and for smoking. It's about as easy as it gets. Probes checked out to be fairly accurate in boiling water and matched the glass-tube candy thermometer I have for lower temperatures, so I call that an absolute win.

It's not the super-fancy bluetooth or wireless alarm that connects to your phone, so you do need to be within earshot, but it works and I can't complain.

I did not go through Amazon, I bought directly from Thermoworks, have had them for 3 or 4 years and haven't had an issue. As a matter of fact, giving a couple of the ThermoPops for Christmas this year (https://www.thermoworks.com/ThermoPop).

Message was edited by: jroberts®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Buy directly from ThermoWorks. I've had a regular

Nov 19, 2019, 12:56 PM

ol' thermapen for years, fuggin' solid as a rock. When LilSlac#2 was younger he pulled the battery cover off the back and gawd knows what he did with it. I called Thermoworks, they said "Shid yeah, we got ya covered cooking Bro. What color is your pen?" Sent the battery cover free of charge, no shipping, no nuthin'. Most accurate thermometer ever had and quick read in about 3 seconds. Sucks that is costs 80 or so bucks, but they usually put'em on sale around the holidays.

Neighbor of Slac likes to BBQ too, so he one-upped me in the thermometer game and got a thermapen that can probe 3 different meats at a time, I think. I wanna say he paid a couple a hundo for it, but he's got money to burn. He says it's the tids..

www.thermoworks.com***

Nov 19, 2019, 2:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

^^^what he said^^^***

Nov 19, 2019, 3:42 PM

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic