»
Topic: Why 2 SC teams in top 6?
Replies: 31   Last Post: Sep 6, 2013 2:53 PM by: TigersAndCubs
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.


[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 31  

Why 2 SC teams in top 6?

[4]
Posted: Sep 5, 2013 11:48 PM
 

Think about it. South Carolina has about 3% to 4% of the population of the country. We have one third of the top six college football teams in the country. If rankings were random (obviously not), the probability against this is 1 chance in approximately 1000. So why?

Because we South Carolinians are basic. What maters is God, family, teamwork, pride in our institutions and a competative nature that characterizes all that is good in our state and should be in America. We put our money, loyalty and passion behind our own, be it our US Armed Forces or our football teams. It the South Carolina way, it should be the American way.

It is OK that we want to beat each other more than anyone else. Why would we not want to be the best on our own block? I am a Univ. of South Carolina grad and I want to beat Clemson everytime we play, but I am proud that we are showing the nation the fabric of the Palmetto State character.


Re: Why 2 SC teams in top 6?

[6]
Posted: Sep 5, 2013 11:55 PM
 

Or it could be because one team just beat a #5 ranked team. And as far a the other... well as they say in the media, "There can never be enough ranked sec teams."

2020 orange level member

Oh, my!


Posted: Sep 6, 2013 12:03 AM
 

Just because I love our state dosn't mean I can't appriciate this kind of double reasoning. "We just beat the #5 ranked team, but the SEC is overranked." Really funny if you think about it.


Re: Oh, my!

[1]
Posted: Sep 6, 2013 12:18 AM
 

Where did I say they were overrated? Horrible translation. Couldn't find that part. What I did say was, as they say in the media, "You can never have enough ranked sec teams."

2020 orange level member

Re: Oh, my!


Posted: Sep 6, 2013 8:30 AM
 

It's just funny that you talked about beating the #5 ranked team, who is coincidentally from the SEC, and then make a comment about the media saying what you quoted about the SEC.

2020 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Why 2 SC teams in top 6?

[1]
Posted: Sep 5, 2013 11:55 PM
 

well said


Re: Why 2 SC teams in top 6?

[2]
Posted: Sep 5, 2013 11:58 PM
 

Yes its about time you chickens amounted to something , you have been crowing about it for a hundred years .

Tell your fans to use grace and be humble when you win , it shows class .

Take it from Tigers , we have been there longer , good luck crossing the river .

2020 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

You sure paint South Carolinians with a broad brush.***

[2]
Posted: Sep 5, 2013 11:59 PM
 



2020 white level member

Brad Brownell: all-time winningest coach in Clemson men's basketball history, and only coach to beat North Carolina in Chapel Hill.


Sorry Your Honor

[1]
Posted: Sep 6, 2013 12:15 AM
 

How would you paint them? In the majority we like Church, family functions, high school sports, hunting and fishing, planting tomatoes, Dukes mayonnaise with the tomatoes and white bread and can't wait til Thanksgiving weekend for The Game. Can't speak for the minority that you would paint with the narrow brush. Perpaps you could enlighten us. Your Honor.


I suppose your speaking specifically of the WASPS


Posted: Sep 6, 2013 12:25 AM
 

of the population (White Anglo-Saxon Protestants). While the majority of the WASPS may possess the traits you describe, it certainly doesn't extend throughout the entire population of all groups of people.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

OK

[1]
Posted: Sep 6, 2013 12:43 AM
 

So African American and other non European citizens of our state don't go to Church, like sports, love thier country, etc. You sound a little racist to me.


Because I am aware of cultural differences, I'm racist?

[6]
Posted: Sep 6, 2013 12:59 AM
 

First of all, I never specified which specific characteristics I was disagreeing with. Also, regardless of which traits I may have been specifically referring, I made no value judgments. You apparently seem to think that people that have those things in common with you are somehow superior to those who are different. Your accusation that I'm a racist and your response clearly shows that you think that people with different values than you are lesser people. I think you should get out of your fantasy world where everyone is the same and appreciate the fact that there are many different types of people in our state.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

i set a goal for scar of 0-12 in 2013, i'll be ok with 1-11.***

[1]
Posted: Sep 6, 2013 12:18 AM
 



2020 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg


Re: Why 2 SC teams in top 6?

[1]
Posted: Sep 6, 2013 12:21 AM
 

While I do appreciate the pride that you are taking in our homestate, I must disagree with your premise. I don't see any inherent qualities specific to the state of South Carolina that gives us an advantage in college football. If there were something about our state that leads us to somehow field better football teams, the history of the team in our state would be much richer.

Conversely, SC has two of the top 6 teams because both major universities have recruited well in recent years and have hired coaching staffs that know what it takes to win games.

Also, after figuring the probability using multiple methodologies, I cannot figure any possible way that the statistical probability of us having two teams in the top 6 being as low as 1 in 1000 (in the event that it was a random distribution).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

the state also makes up 25% of the top 4

[6]
Posted: Sep 6, 2013 12:21 AM
 

that's all that matters

2020 student level member

The SC you describe is stereotypical of past generations.

[6]
Posted: Sep 6, 2013 12:52 AM
 

I don't think it is nearly as true today. I was born and raised in upstate SC, and I don't care about growing tomatoes, hunting, or fishing. Those things are fine for you to enjoy, and I'm sure plenty of others do too. But the things you mentioned are not nearly as common to everyone in SC as you seem to state, nor are they uncommon in other places.

The state has over 4 million residents, of different backgrounds and customs and interests. I view it as a melting pot, much different in 2013 than the 1913 I feel you characterize it as. Some grew up in larger SC cities, others in small towns, and still others in places outside SC. I think that's great. We all have our own perspective, you know?

2020 white level member

Brad Brownell: all-time winningest coach in Clemson men's basketball history, and only coach to beat North Carolina in Chapel Hill.


Re: The SC you describe is stereotypical of past generations.


Posted: Sep 6, 2013 8:37 AM
 

So based on Cornstock's stereotype are you not descended from the British Isles or are you Catholic?


Whatcha mean "we"' dirtpecker?


Posted: Sep 6, 2013 6:58 AM
 

CLEMSON fits the bill and has ALWAYS been better than usuc jr., and by years end...one team will be left standing in our state and will be THE MIGHTY TIGERS!

CLEMSON ROCKS!!!!! TIGERS ROLL!!!!!!! :)


Re: Why 2 SC teams in top 6?


Posted: Sep 6, 2013 8:32 AM
 

Rare - yes - but don't take the AVERAGE of our 2 teams over the past 20 years or we might barely be in the top 25.


Re: Why 2 SC teams in top 6?


Posted: Sep 6, 2013 8:36 AM
 

I think it has more to do with the fact that people in our state are particularly football rabid, and we have no pro teams in the state. I like what you said though. Most South Carolinians I know are pretty competitive, are very loyal to the state, love one of the two major public institutions in the state, and many are big fans of the US Armed Forces.

I know that personally, I have spent time in a lot of different places in the world, and I haven't found anywhere I like better than the upstate of South Carolina. It is really the people that set it apart.

military_donation.jpg

Why? you know what they say about blind squirrels


Posted: Sep 6, 2013 9:05 AM
 

Even blind squirrels on occasion find a nut.

2020 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

We top all sorts of rankings!

[1]
Posted: Sep 6, 2013 9:10 AM
 

42nd in household income, 5th in diabetes rates, 3rd in gonorrhea, 4th in infant mortality, 13th in unemployment, 13th in cases of violent crime...

It's great to see Clemson in the top 5, but let's not mistake college football rankings for state validation. I fear for the country the day the "South Carolina way" is the "American way".

2020 student level member

Re: Why 2 SC teams in top 6?


Posted: Sep 6, 2013 9:19 AM
 

Clemson was a nobody in college football until the late 70s. USC was a nobody in college football until 5 years until 2009. Did all those things not apply until recently?


Apparently not...***


Posted: Sep 6, 2013 9:35 AM
 



2020 student level member

Re: Why 2 SC teams in top 6?

[1]
Posted: Sep 6, 2013 9:40 AM
 

>
> Because we South Carolinians are basic. What maters
> is God, family, teamwork, pride in our institutions
> and a competitive nature that characterizes all that
> is good in our state and should be in America. We put
> our money, loyalty and passion behind our own, be it
> our US Armed Forces or our football teams. It the
> South Carolina way, it should be the American way.
>

Regardless of the few vocal in this thread, I couldn't agree more with this statement.

The appeal of Clemson to recruits, the interest we attract nationally from college football fans nationwide and the lovefest that so many have for Clemson are based on those reasons above.

Ignore the libs ITT. While there are those responding that will disagree simply because you are a gamecock, most of us are of the overwhelming "silent" majority that makes the state of South Carolina the most conservative state in the country.

Well said.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg

Well this is the first time it has happened in the last 1000


Posted: Sep 6, 2013 9:49 AM
 

weeks, so by your stats - that's about right.

1 in a 1000

2020 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg


You tell 'em, coot.***

[1]
Posted: Sep 6, 2013 9:51 AM
 



2020 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

There's something in these hills.


I guess our "fabric" doesn't apply to basketball.***

[1]
Posted: Sep 6, 2013 2:41 PM
 




Dumb Post, its because we have Dabo and they have the OBC

[1]
Posted: Sep 6, 2013 2:43 PM
 

Thats it, no other reason.

If your argument made sense we would always have 2 out of 6. Not just now for probably the only time in history.

2020 student level member

Yet the state of Alabama has the last 4 MNCs...***


Posted: Sep 6, 2013 2:45 PM
 



2020 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat


Re: Why 2 SC teams in top 6?


Posted: Sep 6, 2013 2:45 PM
 

Sounds like you have your excuses ready after your beat down tomorrow. You would NEVER find me on a coot board bragging on my conference or state. I love Clemson. I can't help it if all you SEC teams want to be Clemsonlike now.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg

Annnnd this is why i hate when religion and politics get


Posted: Sep 6, 2013 2:53 PM
 

mixed in with my sports. There are a million other places that i can go to read or listen to political and religious flame wars, I'd really prefer the tigernet sports boards not be among them.


Replies: 31  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Season Tickets
FOR SALE: 3 seats together squarely on the 50 yard line in section TDO, row P, $2100 for all.

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
2677 people have read this post