Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Clemson beats Duke today, they have 18 wins - Rick Barnes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,509

If Clemson beats Duke today, they have 18 wins - Rick Barnes

Mar 8, 2017, 11:21 AM

Rick Barnes only won 18 games in two of his four seasons with Clemson. Both years he had a 7-9 ACC record.

Should Clemson fans celebrate 18-win seasons for Barnes, but not for Brownell?

Barnes somehow got NCAA bids for his 18-win seasons. Is that the difference?

Would an NCAA bid resulting from said 18th win over Duke in the ACC tourney change the perception of Brownell for this 2016-17 season?

This "Devil's Advocate" is simply curious.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No opinions ... ?***

Mar 8, 2017, 1:03 PM

Re: If Clemson beats Duke today, they have 18 wins - Rick Barnes

Mar 8, 2017, 1:06 PM

The difference is the expectations. The teams that Barnes had seemed to overachieve while most people will say this team has not met expectations. With that said, certainly we will always celebrate a win over Dook!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rick Barnes

Mar 8, 2017, 1:16 PM

He won 23 games his third year at Clemson and reached the Sweet 16, then he fell to 18 wins and a "one & done" upset loss to a big under-dog Western Michigan squad in the opening round of the NCAAs before calling it quits and heading to Texas.

I think there were tremendous expectations that Barnes would follow up his 23-win Sweet 16 season with even better results the following year and when he regressed in his 4th season, I believe it was a big disapppintment to Clemson fans and I think Barnes knew he'd done about all he could at Clemson.

Maybe he bolted because of the "behind the scenes" issues so many talk about, but even so, I personally believe he also saw the hand writing on the wall with recruiting and winning consistently in the ACC at Clemson.

His mediocre last season at Clemson left almost all fans disappointed and his departure was an even more bitter pill to swallow.

Still however, many fans celebrate Rick Barnes for that 18-win season while denigrating Brownell for a similar effort this year.

Link to Rick Barnes @ Clemson season by season ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemson_Tigers_men%27s_basketball,_1990%E2%80%9399#1995.E2.80.9396

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rick Barnes

Mar 8, 2017, 1:50 PM

What OP did from 2005-2010 no Coach at CLEMSON has ever done.
He couldn't win the ACC or a game in the NCAA's but that was the best streak ever for CLEMSON BB.

I agree ... wish he'd stayed and finished the job.***

Mar 8, 2017, 5:37 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2017, 1:54 PM

The difference is the regular season conference record. A 7-9 outcome is far better than 6-12 in the minds of the committee.

Go Tigers!

Mar 8, 2017, 7:07 PM

"Barnes somehow got NCAA bids for his 18-win seasons. Is that the difference?"

Yes. That should be a pretty big hint that not all schedules are created equal.

Barnes first 18 win season, they played 3 fewer games at this point, so that's why only 18 wins.

His 2nd 18 win season, the record would be the same as this year (had Clemson won today), so let's look closer.

Barnes had played teams with this ranking in the final AP poll:
1, 1, 3, 3, 3, 5, 14, 20, 20, 22
with wins over 14 and 20. That's not much in the good wins department, but 6 games against top 5 teams is ridiculous (losing all), and he was 2-2 vs rest of top 25

Brownell has played teams with this ranking in the final AP poll:
6, 10, 14, 14, 16, 16, 21, 22
and the only win would be the hypothetical win against #14 Duke today. Not nearly as tough a schedule and even less good wins.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,509
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic