Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: What happened to Clemson's depth? It's all in the numbers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 83
| visibility 51

New Story: What happened to Clemson's depth? It's all in the numbers

Nov 16, 2014, 7:01 AM

What happened to Clemson's depth? It's all in the numbers

Clemson's depth has been sorely tested this season, and a look inside the numbers shows that the Tigers have suffered attrition at an alarming rate over the last four seasons. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: What happened to Clemson's depth? It's all in the numbers

Nov 16, 2014, 7:09 AM

I understand that injuries are common to all football programs. The game is violent and players get hurt. The number of transfers and dismissals seems high at first glance. I would love to see a comparison to other D-1 programs to get a perspective.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2014, 8:06 AM

Dabo has a high standard of behavior... Look at his grad rate...

This article is misleading, all those "transfers"

Nov 16, 2014, 7:10 AM

transferred because they sucked and couldnt get any playing time. Their scholarships were immediately handed out the next recruiting class to better players.

The only two on that list that I see we really miss are Tony McNeal and Chad Kelly. We could really use either one of them right now. Both would be miles better in Morris's offense than Stoudt or Schuess. This statement obviously doesnt take in to consideration Sammy or Martavis, I'd kill to have either one of them on the field this year.

Re: This article is misleading, all those "transfers"

Nov 16, 2014, 7:41 AM

It wouldn't matter one bit if we had Sammy or nuk back this year. Who is gonna throw them the ball? Maybe they could make some plays on bubble screens, but other than that, they would just be good route runners.

Nov 16, 2014, 8:36 AM [ in reply to This article is misleading, all those "transfers" ]

do not agree! what we REALLY NEED is the O/L that were lost due to injuries and transfers..the Q/B problem is simply not signing enough of them.. the practice of not signing but one some years is what is killing us also....and the problem only gets worse!!out D/L next year will be like our O/L this year only with even less numbers... it all comes down to recruiting BALANCED CLASSES every year..

if U look @ our team our R/b`s, O/L and Q/B`s are simply not up to the standard of where we should be!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How does Florida State compare ?

Nov 16, 2014, 11:22 AM

How has Florida State been affected in these same years and for the same reasons in their depth? They are our biggest competition in the ACC. We had them beat this year. So where are they in dismissles, etc. the last four years? Are we too harsh? What makes a kid leave? Are we not being honest enough to tell a kid they may be a backup for awhile or permanently? Seems I remember that in Danny Ford's era, most recruits were made aware that they would not be playing a lot until they were juniors. The first two years were learning. Games use to be boring in the mid third quarter on, because we would be so far ahead that the younger guys got their chance to play. Those of you old enough can remember many games that went this way. I have boxes of videos that I sometimes watch to verify this. Ford wasn't the greatest coach in the world, I'll buy that. But I read an article in a fan magazine published in the 80s, and it described the Ford system. he brought them along and by the time they were ready to start, he had a new crop ready to take their place.

Re: How does Florida State compare ?

Nov 16, 2014, 11:38 PM

You apparently have to kill someone to be dismissed from FSU and comparing Danny's classes isn't even an option. Today's players are making their decisions based on how soon they can play and how soon they can leave (how many players did you hear about leaving as Jrs in the 80's?) Would be great to do that and maybe can with 3 stars, but no 4-5 stars are gonna come and be willing to sit. If they're not getting significant PT by SO, they're transferring.

Nov 16, 2014, 10:34 AM [ in reply to This article is misleading, all those "transfers" ]

> transferred because they sucked and couldnt get any
> playing time. Their scholarships were immediately
> handed out the next recruiting class to better
> players.
>
> The only two on that list that I see we really miss
> are Tony McNeal and Chad Kelly. We could really use
> either one of them right now. Both would be miles
> better in Morris's offense than Stoudt or Schuess.
> This statement obviously doesnt take in to
> o consideration Sammy or Martavis, I'd kill to have
> either one of them on the field this year.

Bellamy..it would be nice to have him

Bellamy-not unless he learned playbook & quit setting off

Nov 16, 2014, 10:37 PM

smoke alarms!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only one on there that matters

Nov 16, 2014, 12:00 PM [ in reply to This article is misleading, all those "transfers" ]

is Chad Kelly. Yeah he was a jerk, but I am convinced our coaches wanted to run him off with Deshaun Watson coming in. I am sure it was immensely frustrating to Kelly to always be listed behind Cole on the depth chart and in receiving snaps and playing time. I think it was apparent prior to this season he was more talented and it is evident now that he was. Our coaches thought Cole would be serviceable while they brought Watson along and now that he is hurt and Stoudt is "ineffective" we are a middle tier CFB team. You keep headaches on teams: thats part of your job as a coach is to deal with headcases and put them in line, not just toss them aside because they are difficult to deal with. Most immensely talented people are hard to deal with, but thats why its important to have leadership to keep the team together. Just my thoughts anyways.

Re: The only one on there that matters

Nov 16, 2014, 2:57 PM

I can understand why some might think this but I think it's incorrect. Kelly was THE GUY! Morris wanted him...BAD! I don't think he has gone after any single player as hard as he did Kelly. I think they all knew the implications when he was dismissed. They knew that Kelly would get a hard look at being the #1 for this season simply because you can give them a fair shake but never rely on a TRUE Frosh to take the reins no matter who they are. No coach can look at film from High school and say with certainty that this guy is going to be this or that. If that was the case recruiting wouldn't be such a gamble.

I don't think anyone wanted Kelly to go. Especially when he had two years in the program and a high ceiling like he does. Just like Mike Bellamy. Do you think they wanted a 5 star RB to be kicked off the team when we actually dropped the 2nd back during the process (Marlin Lane). Seriously Bellamy scored a TD on a 75 yd play the first time he touched the ball. I'm sure it happens some places but no one will ever make me believe that this staff recruit guys and when a more talented player steps up, forces them out the door. In cases like Lateek Townsend, you have a guy that was a special teams monster but was a little light and just a step behind, to hold down a starting LB spot. He was contributing and would have seen time but he grew impatient and wanted to go. Talented guy, who can blame him for wanting to play. There are always players that find themselves in this situation, at every D1 school in the country.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We worked how hard to sign him just to run him off?????????***

Nov 16, 2014, 3:14 PM [ in reply to The only one on there that matters ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

just when you thought you had heard it all.......***

Nov 16, 2014, 3:18 PM [ in reply to The only one on there that matters ]

Nov 16, 2014, 1:35 PM [ in reply to This article is misleading, all those "transfers" ]

You must be obsessed. I couldnt tell you anything about scar

How many stars did Stoudt have?

Nov 16, 2014, 7:19 AM

Dabo should have declared Kelly the starter but he is always loyal to his seniors.

3, I believe***

Nov 16, 2014, 7:21 AM

Re: How many stars did Stoudt have?

Nov 16, 2014, 8:00 AM [ in reply to How many stars did Stoudt have? ]

You are right. There seams to be too much loyalty to veteran players who are not better than new recruits. We have a sideline of athletes that played several positions in high school. When these guys come in and work their buts off and outplay the veterans, then realize they will only be standing on the sidelines it is a slap in the face. It hurts the team. These guys talk to the recruits and we lose a lot of them for this reason. Reports are that Huggins is seriously looking at Georgia because of this. He and other recruits feel that other schools give them a better chance of playing early if you work hard.

Nov 16, 2014, 8:09 AM

Look at the true freshmen playing.... Dabo is more than willing to play frosh.

Nov 16, 2014, 8:46 AM

I agree! l honestly do not know what team some of these people watch. Every player has a chance to play thus look at all the freshmen & sophomores that have & are playing. (Not many seniors declare early)
Thank goodness that Dabo does have loyalty to all of his players.
The ones who transferred did not fit or were not under normal circumstances going to play or the were immature self absorbed and a Peoria to the team.... I think Dabo is doing a great job! Perhaps this is a good time for some fair weather fans to transfer.

Nov 16, 2014, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re: How many stars did Stoudt have? ]

Too little too late though, hes way to slow to act. It usually involves eating some crow first

Re: How many stars did Stoudt have?***

Nov 16, 2014, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Re: How many stars did Stoudt have? ]

Nov 16, 2014, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: How many stars did Stoudt have? ]

Where is your proof or are you stating an opinion

Sounds like opinion to me

Crazy...

Nov 16, 2014, 8:10 AM [ in reply to How many stars did Stoudt have? ]

How there was a few ppl on here that felt #18 should had started over Tajh Boyd.

lol.

I feel bad for Stoudt; Like I said before, I don't know Cole. But he's probably
a good guy. And good things should happen to good people. But not always so.

We're just going have to whether the storm this year. I think we're starting to realize
now, and even our coaches. How bad we miss..............

Chad Kelly.

:(

Fairness,Tajh was throwing to a fairly elite receiver corps.***

Nov 16, 2014, 8:36 AM

Re: Fairness,Tajh was throwing to a fairly elite receiver corps.***

Nov 16, 2014, 8:38 AM

while this group is not like Sammy(who is???)they are not the problem.. they can not thrown the ball to themselves and Cole does not have time due to our WOEFUL O/L

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2014, 8:51 AM

Bingo!, we have a winning post!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2014, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Fairness,Tajh was throwing to a fairly elite receiver corps.*** ]

Bigo we have a posters that can't observe how Stoudt just throws the ball before looking or doesn't even span the field to find the open receiver. He just throws it where he has already made up his mind.

Nov 16, 2014, 8:11 AM [ in reply to How many stars did Stoudt have? ]

Sorry. Kelly was a head case and performed poorly at times...

Nov 16, 2014, 8:22 AM [ in reply to How many stars did Stoudt have? ]

Kelly should have started over Stoudt the decision between talent and loyalty shouldn't come into play. You play your best players Period.

Nov 16, 2014, 9:03 AM

Kelly didn't leave because he wasn't the starter. He was kicked off the team because he couldn't keep his mouth shut. In particular he insisted on going for it on 4th down in the spring game and arguing with the coaches when they said no. Then he continued that at halftime and again later. He keeps his mouth shut just one of those time he probably is the starter at least part of this season. He couldn't so he is gone. I completely agree with the decision to send him packing - you simply can't have a devising force at QB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2014, 8:49 AM [ in reply to How many stars did Stoudt have? ]

Tigerdrafted, with all due respect, your post is just not fact based or correct.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2014, 10:37 AM

Right because the OL rolled out to the right and threw the pick six. Understood. Because the OL threw the second pick six into triple coverage. Understood. Blame it on the OL. My facts are on replay.

Nov 16, 2014, 12:00 PM [ in reply to How many stars did Stoudt have? ]

Just my personal opinion, but I think that CM had a lot more to do with CK getting kicked out than anything else. CK had a mouth on him that I think led to him and CM butting heads. Plus Deshaun was CM's dream system QB with a ton of more natural athletic ability. Now the team is paying for the shouting matches between CM and CK. Suspending CK from summer work outs would have been much better for all concerned. If he would have transferred, oh well, but there was a bigger chance he would have learned from it, and would have played for us most of this season if not all after Deshaun broke his finger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, this is why in the last four recruiting classes we've

Nov 16, 2014, 7:20 AM

signed well over 85 players. To lose 25 guys out of 85 would be huge, but to lose 25 out of about 100 leaves 75. Plus Dabo exasperates the situation by handing out scholarships to his "5 heart Dabo players" Like the Davis twins or Ryan Carter. Neither of them will EVER see the field. They are terrible. Also, we have the situation we have on the OLine, where Dabo under recruited and now we're left with the garbage that we have currently.

This is one area that the SEC programs have figured out. They routinely sign 25-30 players per year and treat it as a one year tryout. If they suck, they run them off and force them to transfer (or like spurrier, just refuse to renew their scholly) and sign 25-30 the following year. Its easier to find 85 players when you are bringing 100-120 through your program every 4 years.

Re: Also, this is why in the last four recruiting classes we've

Nov 16, 2014, 9:14 AM

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!

Re: Also, this is why in the last four recruiting classes we've

Nov 16, 2014, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Also, this is why in the last four recruiting classes we've ]

Dang man, you call our players that wear our uniform garbage, shame on you. +1 TD

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is a sad day when a Clemson fan calls

Nov 16, 2014, 11:54 PM [ in reply to Also, this is why in the last four recruiting classes we've ]

ANY Tiger football player, "garbage." Shame!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And how many seniors will be introduced next Saturday?

Nov 16, 2014, 7:35 AM

If you think this year was tough....I'm thinking next year will be tougher when we lose our DL and LBs.

Dabo said there are 34. A lot we've never heard of.***

Nov 16, 2014, 7:37 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2014, 7:53 AM

The problem is not in the numbers. The problem is in the coaching. As much as I hate saying that, it's becoming apparent with each game we play...

Nov 16, 2014, 8:54 AM

We $1.3M to pay an OC, we should demand accountability. We can get one of the best for next year.

Nov 16, 2014, 5:51 PM

Blaming this on Chad is stupid. One only has to remember all the reasons Dabo has given why Cole Stoudt should be the starter. This was all on Dabo showing allegiance to his senior. He could have transferred, he's earned it, blah blah.

Nov 16, 2014, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: What happened to Clemson's depth? It's all in the numbers ]

So, let's keep things in perspective. This coaching staff is 28-7 over the last 2 1/2 years with 2 significant bowl victories. Next year's recruiting class is #3 in the nation. I, for one, will take our coaching staff. Go Tigers!

Nov 16, 2014, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: What happened to Clemson's depth? It's all in the numbers ]

Maybe we can lure Tommy West back...boy, those were the good old days!!! Geezzz...relax, it won't be the last game we lose. Every team lays an egg ever now and then.

Nov 16, 2014, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: What happened to Clemson's depth? It's all in the numbers ]

Maybe we can lure Tommy West back...boy, those were the good old days!!! Geezzz...relax, it won't be the last game we lose. Every team lays an egg ever now and then.

Nov 16, 2014, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: What happened to Clemson's depth? It's all in the numbers ]

You are delusional! If you can't see a difference in talent level between Watson and Stoudt then you need to stop watching and go play badmitton. The talent level isn't even close!!! We're not playing Byrnes High School...this is big boy football. It's not the coaching!!! You can't magically make Stoudt into something he isn't!! Go ask Oklahoma how stupid they feel for running Venables out of town. So now because perhaps the top QB in the country goes down, we do the same thing and run great coaches off? I'm as frustrated as anyone, but it's not the coaches....WAKE UP!!!

Nov 16, 2014, 8:05 AM

Look at Dabo's graduation rate... And his discipline standard and you will get your answer... Which I think is far better than what has been done in other systems... Just give UNC a call and ask them if they would trade a depth problem for what they are dealing with.... Plus... Dabo's recruiting classes have increased competition for spots.... Makes sense that some young men do rise to the level needed....

Nov 16, 2014, 8:38 AM

The graduation rate is distorted and is based on numbers or scholarships that most of which are Tommy Bowden era numbers...hard to explain except there is a huge lag in how this is calculated by the NCAA.

Nov 16, 2014, 9:08 AM

Ummm no. They are based on how many guys graduate within 6 years of enrolling. TB's recruits count now but Not TB's results.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Scholarships are not guaranteed

Nov 16, 2014, 8:07 AM

The author seems to imply once a guy is on scholarship he's got it for 4 years. Unfortunately for players that's not the case. If Dabo chooses to use up scholarships like that then we r at a huge disadvantage. As a side note it sucks for players to get injured and lose their scholarship. NCAA should do something to fix that so a player injured can still go to school but not take up one of your slots.

all scholarships are for one academic year at a time

Nov 16, 2014, 8:15 AM

Whether academic or athletic. That's federal law, nothing the NCAA can do about it. They could create some type of insurance or trust fund to pay for the education of players suffering career-ending injuries and the like.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs—Victory in spite of all terror—Victory, however long and hard the road may be..." - Winston Churchill

Nov 16, 2014, 8:11 AM

I Remember b bowden saying you need to sign a qb in every class. Making the deal with wasting and Kelly leaving has really hurt this team. I really thought after waston got on campus they would bring someone else in. Number were so even with the Chad Kelly class there should have been 2 that year. This staff has been playing with fire and the qb numbers for a long time and it's caught up to them now.

BUILDING A DYNASTY AT CLEMSON

Nov 16, 2014, 8:22 AM

While it may seem grim, this is exactly how you build a National Championship Dynasty. All of those transfers are due to being out played by other team mates. So basically only 4 and 5 star recruits have a place on this team. Which makes the coaching easier. It may look grim, but actually this sends a message to recruits everywhere. Come to compete or ride the bench... While depth was a major factor in yesterday's atrocious loss, I see something else going on with Chad Morris and his play calling.

Example: He still has a wealth of talent all over the roster at "Skill Positions". WR, RB, TE, etc.... Why in the heck doesn't he involve them in the game? I didn't see a single pass to a TE.... I didn't see a single pass to Charone Peake.... Our running scheme seems to be running the ball up the middle between the Offensive Tackles that we don't have. When your heaviest RB only weighs 215lbs you just don't do that. Especially when you don't have an offensive line that can open gaps and block for you. Also, while I know that Cole Stoudt isn't getting the protection he needs there is no excuse for not getting a pass off. Our WRs were well covered, but I saw numerous times where a pass underneath to a TE would have extended a play or a drive. CJ Davidson is a track star... Why in the world are we not attacking the edges with that guy? We run him straight up the gut as if we are using "THE FRIDGE" instead of running the off tackle to the outside and getting him in open space. If I see one more screen pass I am going to vomit... We had Adam Humphries open more than once down field that would have resulted in 6 points. WIDE OPEN... We throw a screen pass for a loss of a yard. To me, I do not think Chad Morris trust his players due to the absence of Sammy, Nuk, and Boyd. This is why he has played conservatively all season long, and it has cost us 3 games now. #END OF RANT

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

I completely agree with you re: Chad

Nov 16, 2014, 9:18 AM

His coaching decisions seem to be coming from a feeling of fear, much like the way Tommy Bowden coached. For 5 weeks all he can say is we are having to simplify our offense. That open lack of confidence filters down to his players, and they play scared. It's kinda like playing golf. When you tee it up and all you are thinking about is not hitting a slice, you're either going to slice it or duck hook it. We need some focused positive thinking from Chad right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BUILDING A DYNASTY AT CLEMSON

Nov 16, 2014, 9:24 AM [ in reply to BUILDING A DYNASTY AT CLEMSON ]

Its all because cole locks into a reciever and doesnt go through is progressions well. He telegraphs almost every pass which is why he throws ints all the time.

Re: BUILDING A DYNASTY AT CLEMSON

Nov 16, 2014, 10:37 AM [ in reply to BUILDING A DYNASTY AT CLEMSON ]

ChestyPuller....you and fans like you are what is wrong with out fanbase today. Just a couple of reasons why your post is pitiful and uneducated....Charone Peake did play and caught a couple of balls! The only positive yardage we got all day after Watson went out was Gallman running between the tackles. Their D line is small but fast so when we attacked the head up we went forward When we pitched it outside their speed on D was obvious. So no cj or anybody else wasn't going to get outside. We DID have receivers open down field but after statue Stoudt stares them down for 20 seconds they aren't open anymore. And if you mention Adam Hump in any sentence relating to Clemson Football that tells me all I need to know!!

Nov 16, 2014, 8:29 AM

Are any of the 2014 quarterback recruits enrolling early? If not and DW did tear his ACL then we will only have NS in the spring for the QB position. That is if he stays healthy

Nov 16, 2014, 9:12 AM

Both of the 2015 QBs (Bryant and Isreal) are early enrollees. The 2014 QB, Watson, was also an early enrollee.

Nov 16, 2014, 8:36 AM

Great factual article...speaks of personnel mismanagement IMHO.

Nov 16, 2014, 8:43 AM

Nikki, a very good article that points to a lot of issues surrounding our program.

I do have one issue that needs answering and I hope that someone can help me here. Clemson football is made up primarily of equal parts of high 3 stars, 4 stars, and a sprinkling of 5 stars. Ga. Tech football is made up primarily of 3 stars, and a sprinkling of 2 stars, and an occasional 4 star. Assuming that our 5 and 4 stars are our starters (not always the case) and we have significant injuries, our replacements for those injured players should be high 3 stars and an occasional 4 star. This matches up with Ga. Tech's starters being 3 stars mainly. We lost, what was the difference in the game that is any different from other losses?

Thanks, and a belated congratulations on your marriage!

Nov 16, 2014, 8:48 AM

North Carolina played with 63 scholarships last year and 70 this year. That's what u call no depth.

get used to it....

Nov 16, 2014, 8:56 AM

I remember back after the 1980 season after we went 6-5, Danny said going into spring practice the team was too soft and he had to condition his players differently....and he did....a lot of injuries in the spring...but they were tougher....and the rest is history...and the replacement of Randy Anderson by Rodney Williams was tough to do, Anderson I think was sophomore and Willams a freshman. But you can tell what happened after we lost Kelly, looks like Kelly knew something about our coaching staff we did not know. And look at Morgan Roberts---he should have never got away. Seems like the staff lasers in on one player and the rest of them are step children at the position. This wont change til the staff changes and that wont be any time soon...and all the hoopla about the offensive line recruits; yes they are impressive but wont be any help for a couple of years, and the defense is losing a lot....if you are disappointed this year, and I am next year does not look all that promising either.

Nov 16, 2014, 9:10 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: What happened to Clemson's depth? It's all in the numbers ]

The loss to GT stunk for sure...the way our Tigers played on offense stunk...it's a game with kids who are 19 to 21 playing...even the "professionals" on Sunday play bad at times. The whole game, offense/defense, hinge on the lines of scrimmage. Compare the time QB's with good OL's have versus the time our QB's have, then ask yourself why our QB has to be used as a running back so often. I know the guys we have on the Oline work hard and do the best they can, but IMO the Oline guys have to be meaner and tougher than any DL guy they face.

Nov 16, 2014, 9:10 AM

Don't look for excuses or justification for our flop and lack of offense and offensive execution. Are we wearing orange colored glasses and not think this happens everywhere and not just at Clemson. This according to your numbers has not occurred only this year, but there is a history here. Don't we consider that and adjust or just continue doing the same and expect different results? What makes constantly successful programs different that ours?

Re:

Nov 16, 2014, 9:21 AM

This shows fundamental recruiting issues...look how many left, ...also...look how FEW OL we recruited....awful...now we try to correct it...will take two or three years...

Nov 16, 2014, 9:24 AM

At this point, I'm hoping for a Clemson / SCAR brawl so as not to get embarrassed in ANY bowl game. Regardless of the QB situation, I haven't seen Chad Morris adjust at all. Same old stuff generating the same old results. Chad's luck has run out. The "hurry up" is simply - "go fast to keep the opposing team confused and cover up the fact that we really don't have a plan to begin with".

Nov 16, 2014, 11:44 AM

Problem is we are not even doing that. Hurry up that is. While I get we are playing to the defensive strength. We need to play to the offensive strengths as well. To me Cole and the offense seem to play a little better when we have a faster pace. There is no HUNH IN Morris's offense.

Nov 16, 2014, 9:25 AM

we give 4 yr schollies. Stout would have transfered from a sec program. Would have lost his scholly.

Not fair but it is what it is. 25 recruits versus 30 - 35 recruits each yr.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm pretty sure this rate of attrition is actually normal.

Nov 16, 2014, 10:45 AM

You can say what you want about the numbers signed at various positions, but i don't think it's out of the ordinary to have 1-2 guys never enroll (or enroll after 1 year of prep), a couple transfer, 1-2 retire due to injury/illness, 1-2 get kicked off the team, and (hopefully) a couple will be good enough to go pro a year early. None of that is unusual IMO.

Regardless of the reasons, it is currently a train wreck.

Nov 16, 2014, 10:53 AM

Especially at QB.

Nov 16, 2014, 11:43 AM

Don't forget the players that Dabo TAKES out of the game for breaking a rule. That has never and will never make any since, and its not a positive action to the team. Why does the other 84 guys have to suffer for one's stupidity. Punish a rule breaker on his own personal time, and not when the TEAM needs them to perform. Look how many players have been on one game suspension just this year. It is not affective as punishment b/c they don't mind taking a day off from an energy depleting game every now and then. Have the old or disable folks around Clemson that need their yards cleaned or repairs done to request help from Dabo and the rules breakers. Be proactive with these kids, not inactive for their team mates. Dabo could take all the request once a month, gather up the rule breakers, and put them doing chores for the old and disabled in the community. A positive action for every negative action!!!

What about decommitments?

Nov 16, 2014, 12:28 PM

Davin Cook has been great for FSU, and would likely be our starter this year

There's also Kim-Dee-Chee and Elijah Daniels, who would more likely have a greater impact on next season than this one

And then there's Demarcus Robinson, who undoubtedly regrets his last minute flip

Also Ryan Jenkins, but I'm not sure he would have gotten any reps thus far in his career..we seem to be set at WR

Anybody else?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ego

Nov 16, 2014, 12:43 PM

I can't help but feel that the uber-ego of a few of the coaches particularly on the offensive side of the ball is a huge factor in this situation. My question is will they taste this humble pie, learn from it, and begin to coach, prepare, and treat all their players equally.

Re: ego

Nov 16, 2014, 1:00 PM

Only two questions and one statement:

1)why is our offense so pathetic when Morris is supposed to be an offensive genius? (it can't ALL be the players)

2)why not just cancel the SC game now and avoid another embarrassment at home if we can do any better offensively than we did Sat in Atlanta (SC's defense will be better than GT)?

Statement - We need a good backup QB (or two - I seriously doubt Nick Schuessler is it). With the talent we have recruited, an awesome defense (who can't be expected to stay on the field an entire game) and the support behind the program this is unacceptable.

Nov 16, 2014, 1:49 PM

Great article Nikki. The transfers/ left injured or illness/ and kicked off were a little bit of an eye opener. All orange all the time, you pretty much are.dead on with your posts.
Dabo is the Head Coach of Clemson, and should be held accountable for the rest of his Staff's actions or lack of. Chad Morris has had the apparent luxury to run and do with the.Offense as.he.see's fit. His conservative play calling and lack of production in marquee games this season have been horrible. I believe the time has come for Dabo and Morris to meet behind closed doors and Dabo to tell him produce at all costs, or don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. There is ample talent on this team that is not being used that could improve the functionality and put some points on the board. Lack of passing to TE's and RB's, the so called lack of ability of QB's to take snap under center when you got.the ball 1st and goal on the 2. This is basic football that is played in youth leagues. Chad Morris is paid very well as a Offensive Co-ordinator, more that a lot of Div. 1 Head Coaches. His production has slipped and he still mentions on occasion Boyd, Watkins and Bryant. Chad , they are no longer here! Create an offensive scheme for the players you have available and stick to it. Make it usable, as well as viable, whether or not you have all the personnel available. I believe part of the.problem, besides the injuries, the O line is having to go slower to accommodate a missing gear when they are used to going at a faster pace.

Nov 16, 2014, 2:05 PM

####### is marquee

Nov 16, 2014, 2:07 PM

####### is marquee

Nov 16, 2014, 2:08 PM

####### is supposed to be big games

Help me out guys...I've either not kept track or have bumped

Nov 16, 2014, 5:00 PM

my head. DIdn't we have a local guy who was a grad student transfer that had a year of eligibility left after he'd played at Stanford or somewhere? David somebody? I could swear that was at the beginning of this season. Did he change his mind and quit? I thought that was the entire reason we got him, for just such occasion since we didn't have much depth at QB. He had experience that could come in handy. He must have changed his mind and left the team?

Still on team

Nov 16, 2014, 5:04 PM

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28500&ATCLID=209600320

Nov 16, 2014, 6:41 PM

While this article is interesting, it raises more questions that it answers.

1) Do we have a strength/conditioning problem that is leading to an excessive amount of injuries? I know as recently as last year many on Tigernet were lamenting our strength and conditioning program based on performance (not injuries). I personally don't believe this to be an issue, but I would like to see some investigative reporting if others think it may be. I do believe injuries can go in "waves." I remember Georgia in the mid '70s ending the season with their 5th quarterback. I hope we never see anything like that.

2) Have we lost too many players who have transferred out? It's understandable that players want to play. But why are they transferring? Are they admitting that they aren't talented enough to play at Clemson? I don't think any competitive athlete would admit to that. Do they think they aren't give a fair opportunity? This seems doubtful also or else it would be all over various internet boards. Are there other standards (academic, off-field behavior, etc.) they aren't willing to live up to? Again, some investigative reporting as to why players are leaving and how we compare to other schools would be appreciated.

3) Should we blame players for leaving early for the NFL? OK, this is when I show my age. I'm old school. I wish all players would stay for 4 years, but that's not the world we live in. So the question becomes, why do some leave and why do some stay? Also, what can we do to encourage players to stay? And what should we do?

4) Have we dismissed too many players? I don't know the detailed circumstances of any of the dismissals, and I shouldn't. (I did see Chad Kelly and Chad Morris going face to face at the spring game.) But I am extremely PROUD of the character and reputation of our team. I don't need to make specific comparisons to other schools; you know who they are. These young men (Clemson players) are not only coached on the field, they are coached in the classroom (Vickery Hall), and in life (Jeff Davis and others). Our athletes are looked up to (if not idolized). They should have all the support and assistance we can give them, but they must be accountable for their behavior. Again, how do we compare to other schools?

5) Regarding scholarships: I don't think the author meant to, but the article implies that when one of our 85 scholarship athletes leave the school early, that scholarship is lost. In fact, that scholarship can be given to another athlete (an existing walk-on or an incoming freshman).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2014, 3:30 PM

Great post and I agree that there a number of unanswered questions right now with the depth of talent in the program. It would be worth delving further; maybe the folks at TigerNet could provide some additional insight. Go Tigers!

Did anyone else see that slobbering idiot Lou Holtz

Nov 16, 2014, 7:39 PM

at halftime? When he Lambasted the program, saying the lack of depth at QB is unforgivable? He rolled Clemson recruiting. What was his record at USCjr?

Replies: 83
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic