Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Spring game final thoughts: A beautiful day, a QB battle, and commits galore
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

New Story: Spring game final thoughts: A beautiful day, a QB battle, and commits galore

Apr 16, 2018, 7:24 AM

Spring game final thoughts: A beautiful day, a QB battle, and commits galore

Saturday lived up to the hype. At least the hype I created in my own head. We were preparing to leave the house Saturday morning when the bat phone rang. That is what I call it when I get the news that a commitment is about to happen or has just happened. Clemson had one Friday with Bryton Constantin and 5-star receiver Frank Ladson committed early Saturday. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Spring game final thoughts: A beautiful day, a QB battle, and commits galore

Apr 16, 2018, 7:30 AM

So who is the fourth commitment?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: New Story: Spring game final thoughts: A beautiful day, a QB battle, and commits galore

Apr 16, 2018, 7:44 AM

The 4 are Ladson(WR), Phommachanh(QB), Constantin(LB), and Zanders(S).

Apr 16, 2018, 8:32 AM

Phommachanh- Munson should have fun with that name

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great article, except

Apr 16, 2018, 8:30 AM

KB doesn't really have to prove anything to the fans; we don't get a vote. He needs to prove something to the coaches and his teammates.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: great article, except

Apr 16, 2018, 8:42 AM

Listen, David only reports what he sees. I watched the entire game and Bryant displayed a negative attitude on the sidelines. It appeared that he was not ALL IN!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2022, 9:49 AM

I thought KB looked frustrated with himself. At no time did I think he showed a negative attitude or that he was not "ALL IN" ... he certainly hurt his stock with the coaches Saturday and he knew it, but there were no tantrums or dramatic scenes on the sidelines. He was simply disappointed and that was a perfectly reasonable emotion.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2018, 10:40 AM

You do not have to throw a "Chad" fit to display negative connotations, and he did. I said he apparently was not All IN, so, don't try to re-phrase my reply. As a leader he should have been actively "coaching up" his team mates regardless of the game he was having.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2018, 11:30 AM

I think you're overstating the perception of negativity in Kelly's sideline demeanor.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2018, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Re: great article, except ]

Is ALL IN synonymous with BALLS DEEP?

I thought Troy played for UCLA?***

Apr 16, 2018, 9:02 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good catch!

Apr 16, 2018, 9:11 AM

Personally, after I read that the coaches were emphatic that the ‘best qb will play’, athough I kept reading, I pretty much stopped ‘comprehending’....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: I thought Troy played for UCLA?***

Apr 16, 2018, 9:14 AM [ in reply to I thought Troy played for UCLA?*** ]

He started at Oklahoma and then transferred to UCLA after the injury.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"And now we know.....the rest of the story!"

Apr 16, 2018, 9:17 AM

I miss Paul Harvey. Loved to hear him on the radio.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2018, 9:35 AM [ in reply to I thought Troy played for UCLA?*** ]

Started at OU then transferred to UCLA.

Apr 16, 2018, 10:23 AM [ in reply to I thought Troy played for UCLA?*** ]

Aikman committed to OK out of high school. After he got injured, he transferred to UCLA to be in a more pass friendly offense.

Apr 16, 2018, 2:05 PM

OU coach Barry Switzer lied to Aikman telling him he would change his offense to fit Troy and then Aikman was running the Wishbone like always. Against Miami in 1985, Aikman broke his leg and missed the rest of the season. True freshman Jamelle Holieway took over the offense and they won the national championship. As already stated, Aikman transferred to UCLA and finished his college career.
Switzer had to stick to the Wishbone and Aikman never should have believed he would switch to a pro style offense.

http://collegefootballcrazy.com/pac-10-quarterbacks-1988/

Apr 16, 2018, 1:50 PM [ in reply to I thought Troy played for UCLA?*** ]

Yes sir. He transferred from OU after matl championship game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2018, 12:49 AM [ in reply to I thought Troy played for UCLA?*** ]

He did, after transferring from OU. Apparently he did not really see a lot of future for himself as a wishbone QB.

Great story as always.

Apr 16, 2018, 9:30 AM

Thank you.

Dabo made a mistake calling that sack when TL made

Apr 16, 2018, 10:22 AM

that third beautiful 50 plus yds. pass to Higgins. The fans and the announcers knew it, was he trying to keep the score more even? It was not close! It was another HIGHLIGHT that did not appear on the highlights.

Re: Dabo made a mistake calling that sack when TL made

Apr 16, 2018, 10:47 AM

Yep. He might've got creamed Dabo but it was still a TD. And Wilkens as safety? Give me a break. He had no chance of sacking the QB. Way too slow against our receivers too. Just a stunt.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2018, 11:42 AM

I agree, no way TL gets "creamed" on that play. OK, maybe a late hit.

He did a great job reading the blitz, and hitting the TE in the flat. TL is the real deal.

As the saying goes, "cool as the other side of the pillow"

Apr 16, 2018, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Dabo made a mistake calling that sack when TL made ]

I agree. Also think a game like this hurt a runner like KB, where a simple touch stops the play. He also did not have Tee to throw to. But he clearly did not have a good day. Should be very interesting in August. Will not be surprised to see Hunter or Trevor out there against Furman.

Apr 16, 2018, 12:30 PM

I read a lot of comments about KB after game. Here are points people need to consider.

1. This defense has played against KB for 3yrs so they know his tendencies.
2. The def could sit back on his pass plays because they knew he could not run to open up the pass better.
3. The better o-line was definitely on other side
4. All QBs have a bad day, and he was over throwing receivers which is pure sign of being jacked up. I think if he was hit a couple times he would have settled.
5. KB took us to playoffs last year. He does not deserve some of the negative comments I have seen on forums.
He will likely not be starter by end of season but I wouldn't count him out as he will give 110%.

Apr 16, 2018, 1:18 PM

Sorry bassmaster, lame points. And I don't think running opens up the pass as much as the pass opens up the run. I am a Clemson fan, best man up!

Apr 17, 2018, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo made a mistake calling that sack when TL made ]

Here's some counter points..
1) Knowing tendencies gets countered when they QB's aren't live....he was missing his tendency to run.

2) With that said, doesn't matter if he could run or not...what's the difference between QB's not being live compared to Alabama or Auburn taking away his run game and forcing him to beat them in the air? Same thing, and he didn't exactly make a case he can do that.

3) Offensive lines were mixed for both teams...neither side had the entire 1st string line...nor was either side facing the entire 1st string defensive line. So that's a wash.

4) I really wish people would get off the "took us to a playoff" mentality. News flash, he also played vs a 2-6 record down FSU that had given up on their coach and was playing with a true freshman 3 star QB after their main QB suffered a season ending injury. FSU, you know, the typical other major team on the Atlantic side...Clemson's main Atlantic rival, that still owns the overall record vs Clemson. You can't say Bryant didn't get some luck there....wonder what it'll be like this coming year with Taggart at the helm...and a new FSU system Venables hasn't defended yet, nor has Scott/Elliott schemed against yet.

I wouldn't be expecting that type of flub up to stay that way, not the way they recruit and the talent they have. Really not that likely our QB this year will be facing a 2-6 team again....and when you are playing for the likely lead in the Atlantic for the ACC Championship, that is never an easy game. And it's not like Kelly did all that great against that 2-6 FSU (151 yards passing was all he had, 0 passing TD's)....he can thank his running backs and defense for that game.

Apr 16, 2018, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo made a mistake calling that sack when TL made ]

Think you said it, a runner like kb.... Also, this is wru...no excuse on the tee comment. He's got great targets. Well coached teams know kb's tendencies too. May the best qb play??

Apr 16, 2018, 12:37 PM

KB didn’t have Tee, but he should have chemistry with Renfrow & overthrew him badly. I feel bad for him because he is a great athlete but just not the best QB on this team. Hunter or Trevor will overtake him easily within the first 2 to 3 games, but hopefully KB will have some wildcat packages or some plays he can run according to his strengths.

Apr 16, 2018, 12:48 PM

All this "poor little KB", let's put him at WR or maybe RB..He might make a good DB...Sorry, folks.This is when you thin the herd.. If you ain't first, you're last... "FEEEEEEEElings,oh oh oh feeeeeeeelings" ...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 16, 2018, 2:10 PM

Agreed. Why not give him a position that he may could play at the next level. That would best for him.

First Time the coaches have said

Apr 16, 2018, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Spring game final thoughts: A beautiful day, a QB battle, and commits galore ]

anything close to KB, not being the starter* --- the coaches seem to say,they saw the same as the fans Saturday -- seemed like every time KB went to the sidelines, #80 Richards tried to console him -- a lot of the passes he threw were to #80 ( trying to get something going ) -- was even over-throwing Renfrow ?? -- he just never looked comfortable at all, throwing the ball ( short or long )

who ever they start, we can not waste Tee Higgins and the receiver corp talent, we have on the team, this year__ I think we can all agree on that ???

Re: First Time the coaches have said

Apr 17, 2018, 5:09 PM

I have said for a year now that if KB wants to play at the next level, he needs to start preparing for it. I think that he is dead set on proving to everyone that he can play at the next level at QB. He has all the size and talent to do so, just not the savy, he relies on his ability to run too quick. By this I mean he just does not "check down", I do not believe I have seen him do this more than a dozen times in his career here. I am certainly not down on, but I believe that the coaches would have moved him (if he would agree) before DW left. I sure would love seeing him as a TE (forget the blocking, bring in a second one for that) man, that would open up this offense.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic