Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
JUCO Players
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 2,760

JUCO Players

Dec 16, 2015, 10:00 AM

for those of you who are more knowledgeable than me when it comes to recruiting, I have noticed USuCk takes on many JUCO players each year but we rarely do. Why?

What are the pros and cons of signing JUCO over kids straight out of high school?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Usually takes JUCO players 3 years to graduate

Dec 16, 2015, 10:05 AM

with only 2 years left to play. Dabo's all about the Degree. I personally think they should change the rule. If a kid goes straight to JUCO out of HS,let him play 3 years at a Big Boy School. Mind you, my rule would just be for guys that started out at JUCO,not those kicked out or transfer down.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Usually takes JUCO players 3 years to graduate

Dec 16, 2015, 10:09 AM

A juco should only need two years to graduate because they already have an associates.

However, they have 3 years to play 2 if they didn't redshirt in juco.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Dec 16, 2015, 10:18 AM

I have doubts that many JUCO players that are transferring to Div-1 schools are graduating from junior college and getting associates degrees. Even if they are, some of the credits at their schools will not transfer with them, so it is very likely that 3 years will be needed to graduate.

That aside, Clemson had policies in place for a while would not allow us to take JUCO players because of some academic issue. Not sure if it was the graduation reason or not, but it was out of the football department's hand and was a university thing, I think.

I don't think that Dabo likes to take JUCO players because you can't build a program around taking JUCOs (As USUCK is finding out). You might take one every once in a while to plug a hole from someone leaving unexpectedly, but you can't make a habit of making up for a lack of recruiting by constantly taking JUCOs. There is less time to develop them into the coach's system and by the time they are fully engaged their time is up.

JUCO's leaving after 3 semester are not graduating JUCO

Dec 16, 2015, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Usually takes JUCO players 3 years to graduate ]

They are transfering,and like the post above said, not all their classes transfer. They usually spend their first semester in JUCO taking classes they didn't pass in HS,not college classes.Now of course, USuC has a criminology degree that is the same exact thing as the Criminology degree at Midlands Tech, they just call it a BA.

Dec 16, 2015, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Usually takes JUCO players 3 years to graduate ]

I received an AA degree from a JC, then went in the USAF for four years. Lost about a semester of credits when I transferred to CU after discharge. Was able to take a Money & Banking course while in AF Tech school and it transferred, but none of the math and of course PE credits I had to take at JC would transfer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Re: JUCO Players

Dec 16, 2015, 10:16 AM

Dabo uses it as a recruiting tool to get better recruits that he dont get juco players that could come in and take your place he has always said he wouldnt go juco route

Dec 16, 2015, 10:18 AM

The above post is correct. That is a big part of the recruiting process...when you come to Clemson you will batter the players that are in the system...not bring in any other players from outside. I believe it is the correct way and seems to be working...no need for a fix.

Re: JUCO Players are, usually, not worth the trouble.***

Dec 16, 2015, 10:23 AM

Dec 16, 2015, 10:19 AM

I think one of the reasons you do not see us going for Juco players is that we have a good number of 5*\4* talent coming in that we can expect 3 years of development in our system. Usuc is trying to fill gaps and are desperate for anything.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Signing a lot of JuCo prospects is a desperate attempt to

Dec 16, 2015, 10:23 AM

find players who can provide immediate depth at certain positions. The theory is a JuCo kid has had more time to develop and get stronger compared to a player coming right out of high school. Of course, the biggest drawback if that a JuCo only has a couple of years of eligibility remaining.

Dabo's preference is to sign high school kids he can develop over a three or four year period.

Taking an occasional JuCo player here and there to fill a gap is sometimes necessary, but you certainly don't want a scenario where the coaching staff is signing a whole bunch each recruiting class (aka Kansas State). In 2010, Kansas State signed seven JUCO players. In 2011, they signed nine, and in in 2012 they signed eight.

In most cases, JuCo players are the kids that needed to get bigger, stronger and faster to gain a college’s attention, or an elite prospect who either transferred out of another college program or needed to get his academics in order.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Dec 16, 2015, 10:24 AM

Kids go JUCO because they usually have really, really bad grades or test scores and simply cannot be admitted into a 4-year University because they cannot pass minimum academic standards. Also, sometimes kids wind up in JUCO because they get kicked out of a 4-year college because of behavioral or legal issues.

There's really no "advantage" to signing JUCO's. It's a risk. They're essentially B-rated bonds, with all sorts of folderol and problems, and usually these kids have a 1 in 3 - at best - return rate, meaning they become useful players 1 in 3 times. The reasons are numerous, usually owing to a poor work ethic or family situation, disadvantaged background, whatever...but the kids who go JUCO usually do not come from the best homes or families to begin with. By definition, if they're in JUCO, they're already trying to turn their lives around after a not-so-hot beginning.

The other thing is, they're on a limited cycle...because they only have 3 years left to play 2, usually, they're brought in as short-term fix, usually by a team with some gaping roster holes that needs a solution RIGHT NOW, and as such they're expected to contribute right away. The problem there is, because they've been in junior college and are not being developed in a major program, they aren't being coached to the standard a major-college kid is, they aren't in the weightroom like a major-college kid is, and they certainly haven't been playing with or against the level of competition they'll see in major-college ball. So it really is a HUGE jump for these kids to contribute right away, and most of them ending up running out of eligibility before they ever really adjust.

Sometimes teams get lucky, and just hits on a very talented JUCO kid who just needed another chance. It feels almost "free" when that happens...it's like, hey, instant-impact superstar, ready right outta the box. Which can tempt teams to gamble. K-State, for instance, has made a living off of the large number of Kansas junior colleges...but because they're so close to these schools they also are much closer to these kids and their coaches and have a much better idea of how to select and manage the JUCO players they're getting. It doesn't always work out even for K-State, mind, which is why they're so good one season and so lousy the next, it's hit-or-miss even for them.

Good show.... +1.***

Dec 16, 2015, 11:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

JUCO players rarely work out

Dec 16, 2015, 10:26 AM

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/8/12/9143015/how-much-immediate-help-do-juco-transfers-actually-bring-Auburn-Kansas-State

There may be different rules between the ACC and $EC

Dec 16, 2015, 10:29 AM

about how at how JUCO's are treated.

JUCO players are used to community college

Dec 16, 2015, 10:29 AM

So the academic rigor of Scar is actually easier for them, and the campus doesn't seem like such a craphole. HTH. Whereas HS students are used to being challenged in the classroom and having nice things.

Dec 16, 2015, 11:50 AM

What if Clemson "helps" a smaller college like Midlands Tech start a football program where they run the same schemes we do. Also have an academic contract between the two schools where they accept the credits. Our tech school here FDTC and Francis Marion have that. Then we can send some to JUCO if they fail to meet initial expectations to gain admissions into Clemson? Would this be legal? Ethical?

I like your funny words magic man

Dec 16, 2015, 11:52 AM

That seems like a lot of effort to go through to solve a problem that we don't have. We are #1 in the country and top #15 recruiting classes every year without resorting to JUCO players.

Scar players usually stupid and steal lap tops

Dec 16, 2015, 11:54 AM

Clemson players smart and graduate in three years

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Scar players usually stupid and steal lap tops

Dec 16, 2015, 11:16 PM

Now that's funny right there. And concise. Thumbs up

Replies: 19
| visibility 2,760
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive