Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It sounds like several on here think Taggart is better than
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

It sounds like several on here think Taggart is better than

Aug 22, 2018, 12:08 AM

Jimbo. Otherwise, why would anyone think that Taggart might beat us, but Jimbo probably would not? I guess TAM will fire Jimbo after Taggart wins the NC this year, and will offer Taggart 100 million to coach next year. So, if Jimbo was still at FSU, would FSU still be the most worrisome game we play thisyear?

For me, I see FSU struggling to get the Taggart game plan in place in his first year. The same for Jimbo at TAM. I just don't see FSU being all that great this year, even with loads of talent.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It sounds like several on here think Taggart is better than

Aug 22, 2018, 12:13 AM

impossible to know. but with Fisher we at least knew Venables would give his offense fits, and with Francois healthy they will be MUCH better.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2018, 12:19 AM

Has Francois been named the starter? Blackman did a pretty good job last year. I haven't kept up with Francois' recovery.

Aug 22, 2018, 12:56 AM

Recovery? Only thing he's fighting is being in the doghouse for the incident with his girlfriend and the marijuana found. Sounds like he's been working to prove himself, and think it's just a matter of Taggart making the final decision. I can promise you, unless Francois pulls a Jalen Hurts moment, he'll be the starter.

Aug 22, 2018, 1:42 AM

I guess you missed his getting injured in the opener last year with Bama. He missed the rest of the season. So yes - recovery.

At FSU they ignore rape, theft, assault, etc, so all of that stuff is meaningless as to who starts. If you are good enough, no crime is too big at FSU.

That said, I think Francois gets the nod in spite of the job that Blackman did last year. Now whether or not Francois is as good as he was prior to his injury is something I know nothing about. Like I said, I haven't followed his recovery.

Aug 22, 2018, 8:12 AM

That's been over since spring. He's been competing for getting the job back and the main issue had been his incident:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-state-seminoles/chopping-block/os-sp-fsu-deondre-francois-20180605-story.html

Blackman was pretty terrible last year

Aug 22, 2018, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Re: It sounds like several on here think Taggart is better than ]

Maybe the worst QB in the Atlantic. The guy is like 6'3" and only weights 160 lbs. Twig. Not a college caliber QB. that QB battle isn't even close.

Aug 22, 2018, 12:29 AM

You underestimate 1 thing.... Jimbo lost his players mentally last year. They quit on him.... Called him out publicly, saying they wouldn't play for him if he stays, and were not in it most of the season after they lost as many as they did that early.

Reality is Jimbo and Dabo were in a near dead heat...4-4 record if you count last year, but O'Dell Haggins is actually credited for interim coaching last year's, so technically, Dabo was 3-4 vs Fisher. He only had a 2 yr streak on him removing last year. That's the difference he made to a team that wanted to play for him with that talent.

And you think that similar talent, now revived with a new coach that gives them hope, gives them something to play for, will be easy again... When they only had really one majorly down year?

Aug 22, 2018, 4:58 AM

I don't see it quite your way yet. Taggert doesn't even have winning record as a head coach. Yes, FSU gets their share of talent, but team chemistry is just not there. It's not going to happen year 1 with Taggart. His hiring at FSU is based on his ONE 10-2 season at USF. Take away this season and the guy is 37-48 as a head coach. We will see. You love talking about "reality" and posting a 1000 stats. Bottom line, KB is starting the season, and Dabo caught up and passed Jimbo the last 3 years. FSU will be handed another double digit defeat this year as well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2018, 8:14 AM

You act like he has had teams with FSU's recruiting and talent. That's far from the case.... And the reality.

Yes I talk about stats.... Should I compare their recruiting each year to the teams he came from? Here is one of them:
https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2016/all-teams/football
2016...FSU #2, Oregon #25, USF #71, W Kent #98

I have to say it kind of bugs me when people just point

Aug 22, 2018, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Re: It sounds like several on here think Taggart is better than ]

to Taggart's record. Go dig into that record a little deeper.

Western Kentucky went 0-12 and 2-10 the two years prior to Taggart taking over. Under Taggart they went 2-10, 7-5, 7-6. Sure that's nothing earth shattering and his record was just 16-21 at WKU but I don't know how you could possibly argue that the program wasn't in much, much better shape when Taggart left than when he took over. He actually left behind a really nice base there for Petrino in 2013 and then Jeff Brohm in 2014-2016.

Then at USF he took over a team that had gone 5-7 and 3-9 the two seasons prior to his arrivals and were torpedoing under Skip Holtz. Taggart only went 2-10 and 4-8 in his first two years but then jumped to 8-5 and 11-2 before leaving for Oregon. Again, only a 25-25 record at USF but they were an elite G5 program by the time he left.

I don't think he's a miracle worker. It does seem to take him 3-4 years to pull off his rebuilds, but he's taken over a couple of programs that were basically dumpster fires and left them in very good shape. And FSU is absolutely not a rebuild. He's got a Ferrari now that just needs some tuning.

My biggest question about Taggart is what can he do at a program that already has everything in place to win right now? Maybe it turns out that rebuilding bad programs is what he's best suited for. Or maybe he kills it at FSU. We will have to wait a few years to find out.

What!?

Aug 22, 2018, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: It sounds like several on here think Taggart is better than ]

Jimbo didn’t coach the game in DV last season?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Re: What!?

Aug 22, 2018, 9:43 AM

Not according to Winsipedia's record:
http://www.winsipedia.com/clemson/vs/florida-state

I thought Jimbo had too, but that's saying it was Haggins.

Aug 22, 2018, 9:55 AM

That can’t be right. He left just prior to the bowl game.

Also, sort of sobering to see their success compared to a much older program. Puts it all in perspective. There again, I think Michigan is still the winningest program in terms of total victories, and they’re barely relevant.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Aug 22, 2018, 10:55 AM

Ah, think I figured it out....they must be listing the coach at end of the year, instead of by each game.

Looked at Alabama and FSU (first game of the season for them), also says Haggins on there...that one was definitely Fisher.
http://www.winsipedia.com/alabama/vs/florida-state

Re: They will be better. With Francois back at QB, there is

Aug 22, 2018, 8:32 AM

no question about it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Aug 22, 2018, 8:40 AM

The O Taggart runs will be better suited for the skill at FSU imo.

Uhh

Aug 22, 2018, 8:54 AM

"Otherwise, why would anyone think that Taggart might beat us, but Jimbo probably would not?"

That's quite the leap of logic there.

Right now i would not say that Taggart is better than Jimbo, but i would say that Jimbo's time at FSU had expired and that the program will be better off going forward without him and the toxic atmosphere that had built up there. Taggart also inherited a much better roster at FSU than Jimbo took on at College Station.

Neither are too likely to beat us (i think we are about 10 pt favorites in both games) both either could potentially beat us. I've seen our win probability in both of those games around 75% or so. If true, that means we are only a little more than 50/50 to win both.

Aug 22, 2018, 9:15 AM

Jimbo's players have always won despite his coaching. With the same level of talent I think Taggert will be more successful. The question is, will he be able to maintain recruiting at the same level. Jimbo will continue to be successful if he can bring the same level of talent to A&M.

null

Aug 22, 2018, 9:35 AM

Until FSU gets an Oline, we have nothing to worry about.

Aug 22, 2018, 9:47 AM

Since we take coaches words like bible scr1pt that is not to be questioned here:
https://chopchat.com/2018/08/20/fsu-football-willie-taggart-pleased-offensive-line-improvements/

Did I actually have to code the word ######? That's an odd one to censor.

Which one? W i l l i e?

Aug 22, 2018, 10:51 AM

willie

Guess not***

Aug 22, 2018, 10:52 AM

Re: Guess not***

Aug 22, 2018, 11:06 AM

s c r i p t

I think Taggert will not be in Tallahassee in 3 years

Aug 22, 2018, 11:12 AM

He's a job jumper

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Job hoppers usually hop up.. where is he going to go?***

Aug 22, 2018, 11:15 AM

Aug 22, 2018, 11:35 AM

Taggart is a good recuiter but just like at O he will never bring FSU back.
He will win 8-9, 10 games some years but never be a NC contender.
This season the FSU game will be our hardest because he will have them fired up .
But in the end the Tigers pull away for a 31-17 win.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic