Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lockdowns coming?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 415

Lockdowns coming?

Jul 12, 2020, 9:06 AM

Well ,imo, it will come but actually from a big picture not be helpful. Unless one is willing to lockdown the State lines, maybe even cities/towns as in no in or out.

Unless you do those it is useless as once lifted all it takes is a couple infected from elsehwhere to begin in all over again.We are in a loop until a vaccine is available.

Now this does not mean to just toss up your hands and say screw it, not by a long shot. Close down bars,gyms,churches,sit down dining and enforce mandatory mask wearing anytime outside your home. To include offices and places of work on mask wearing. While the WHO and others quibble over whether it is airborne I can say that unless the system has hospital grade HEPA filters it is a problem. Plus it can blow a cough or sneeze all over an enclosed space.

Life is changed and the sooner folks get on board the better off we all will be going forward. Biggest thing the FEDS can do is ensure a supply,steady and vast supply, of N95 masks,hand sanitizer and wipes are in stores at pre pandemic prices for citizens to buy. Oh, and put in prison those selling fake products for jacked up prices.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm guessing you don't own a bar a gym or a restaurant***

Jul 12, 2020, 9:30 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm guessing you don't own a bar a gym or a restaurant***

Jul 12, 2020, 9:37 AM

Nope but that is irrelevent during a pandemic. Sometimes one must loose a limb to save your life. Same here on this, you shutdown those areas most prone to spreading it.

Re: I'm guessing you don't own a bar a gym or a restaurant***

Jul 12, 2020, 9:44 AM

Most restaurants in my area did fine with takeout only. The ones that did not were higher end, why pay those prices to cart it home in styrofoam?

Bars, well maybe there will be less drunks on the dang roads as a side benefit. Most folks in my State cannot drive sober. Gym, well can be done at home and even the large one down the road is shut down most days already.

Church can be done online or just by reading the Bible at home. It does not have to be about a social gathering you know right?

people separated in restaurant by tables is bad

Jul 12, 2020, 9:47 AM

people protesting and yelling crammed like sardines is good. People crammed in a walmart buying clothes and fishing supplies is good people separated eating is bad.

I'd rather cut off your limb than mine "saving" America

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They'll be back. And won't work a 2nd time.

Jul 12, 2020, 10:02 AM

And will cause social unrest where they didn't the first time really.

Our approach mirrors our politics. One extreme or the other. Never spit the difference or compromise.

Our options are opened and people dying or closed and people rioting. Now a reasonable country could figure out a balance, a coordinated regional and fluid approach that can allow the most economic activity possible without overwhelming Healthcare. In 2 to 3 years the countries who figure out how to best deal with it will come out ahead. But we know you can't ignore it and you can't shut down forever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They'll be back. And won't work a 2nd time.

Jul 12, 2020, 10:14 AM

All it will take is somebody to get out front and lead.

Trump won't. Which is insane. Elected politicians wait, often in vain, for some career-defining crisis to arise so they can lead the country through it...in a genuine crisis - which this assuredly is, the body count is already approaching three times what we had in Vietnam, and about 50 times bigger than what we lost on 9/11 - people instinctively line up behind strong leadership.

Which has been utterly absent. Instead of embracing the crisis, putting both hands around it, and leading the nation through this thing, Trump has pretty much alternated between denying its existence, underselling it, blaming it on China, picking pointless fights with the WHO, claiming "miracle cures" that don't work, claiming it's just about over and the worst is already past, claiming we're soft and weak for not stepping over the pile of bodies and hey, let's got on with Business as Usual and reopen everywhere, instantly, and for the most part utterly refusing to wear a wask. And oh, yeah, leaving every state and city to fend for itself and refusing to coordinate any kind of unified national response.

And hey, the bodies are piling up and the pandemic is getting totally out of control. Gee, who woulda thunk it.

No one will lead on this, same reason no one leads on

Jul 12, 2020, 11:14 AM

spending cuts. If you lead on it, you're guaranteeing pain in some form, and that's a sure vote-loser in our "democracy". Either the pain of wearing a mask, not working, or not seeing your friends or family, or the pain of having someone you know die from it. Either way, there's pain. No one wants to touch it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 for the "democracy"....***

Jul 12, 2020, 12:25 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s really been our problem hasn’t it

Jul 12, 2020, 12:30 PM [ in reply to No one will lead on this, same reason no one leads on ]

Overall, right or wrong, it balances out.

Jul 12, 2020, 1:03 PM

You can look at is as inefficient, etc. But you have to take people into account. The most efficient thing is to make abortion and gay marriage legal everywhere. And it's done. By 9 appointed judges in Washington DC. Righthood is established, and then universally applied per the 16th Amendment.

Problem solved right? Well, when you apply that dictate on all 50 states, you've just pissed off 50% of Americans, if it's a 50-50 issue anyway. Our founders approach was allow each state to decide. As such, the overall number of pissed off Americans would be less as each state decides yea or nay based on their local populations. So in SC maybe 10% or 20% would be ticked if abortion was made illegal. In California, perhaps 10-20% would be ticked off when they made it legal. But collectively, having 10-20% of people ticked off in those states, leads to less than 50% of people being ticked off nationwide. That universe of ticked off people declines in a republic. It rises in diverse democracies. That's why we are a democratic republic and not a democracy in the traditional sense. When the fight moves to Washington DC, that's when the wheels fly off a divisive issue. Slavery was a state issue, until it became a Senate battle, as states were still forming at the time in the west. That caused the civil war. It wouldn't exist today in either event as technology destroyed that job anyway.

But to Trump's credit, although he has failed miserably to set even modest standards or an example because he's a one-pony show, and offering financial and logistical support, he has allowed the bad thing to be dealt with locally. It is essential. Hence why I said watch your local leaders, not Washington for help with this. It is really a very tricky balance our founders struck. But we've reverted back to local control on the covid issue more than any other issue I've ever seen. On this one issue, we've acted more republican than on any other in my lifetime anyway (maybe pot is second). Sure, Trump could lead better on it. He's a bad leader. But at least he's smart enough to bail when he knows it's bad news. My beef with Trump isn't his not doing anything about it, it's his lack of leadership which is, after all, the ability to get other people to do something they would otherwise not do. That is leadership defined. Like wear a mask, and lead by example. Take steps to fund and manage logistics. Lobby closed states to open more, and open states to close more. Some states have people who really do not want to open up. Others have people who really don't want to close anything. Both are extremes. A leader and leadership brings each to a more reasonable and overall better and more effective balance.

But mechanically, the power and control of this is with the states, counties, and municipalities. And that should be the case to minimize the universe of ticked off Americans. States, counties, and especially municipalities will be far more responsive to their citizens than we can ever hope from Washington.

Meanwhile, you have Trump threatening to send in federal troops for local protests, and withold funding to states who refuse to fully open schools. That's the kind of crap where Trump's screwing up.

Re: Lockdowns coming?

Jul 12, 2020, 1:06 PM

anyone is free to lock down anytime

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lockdowns coming?

Jul 12, 2020, 1:16 PM

we should have effective masks and drowning in hand sanitizer/alcohol by now though

probably should be part of the military funding bill on the table

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 415
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic