Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Notre Dame is undefeated, who loses a spot in CFP seeds?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,882

If Notre Dame is undefeated, who loses a spot in CFP seeds?

Sep 6, 2018, 10:05 AM

I peaked at ND's schedule and they could go undefeated with some skill and pure luck. Who would then get left out of the CFP picture? Clemson should be picked unless we somehow lose to FSU, BC or TAMU, but this isn't likely. BAMA seems in based upon their offensive and defensive balance, but what happens if they lose to Auburn and perhaps Georgia in the SEC? It seems to me they would have to lose two games to be left out, but what picks do other Tiger fans see making the final four? I think the PAC12 and Big12 would be left out.

Mine would be as follows:

Clemson - ACC
Notre Dame - at large
Wisconsin or Ohio St. - B10
BAMA - SEC

Alternates: Oklahoma, Auburn and or Georgia.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure

Sep 6, 2018, 10:11 AM

but it will be nice to see two ACC teams in there.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Not sure

Sep 6, 2018, 10:36 AM

I don’t ever think two teams from the same conference should be in the playoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2018, 10:46 AM

Clemson and Bama both get in with 0 or 1 loss.

I don't care who the other participants in the playoff are.

My wild guess is as good as anyone's at this point. I guess..........
Alabama
Clemson
Notre Dame
Ohio State

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2018, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Not sure ]

My feelings are, the ONLY way a Non Conference Champion should ever be allowed to participate in the CFP is by having a “play-in” game so they don’t get an unfair advantage over the Conference Champions who had to play and win their Championship game to earn their spot.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2018, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Not sure ]

Wisconsin is not in the ACC though?

Wow...

Sep 6, 2018, 10:12 AM

hard to say this early in the season as there's TONS of football to be played. I hope ND loses some games...hope this every season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's too early to really even speculate, but we

Sep 6, 2018, 10:14 AM

still haven't seen a 2-loss team make the playoff and if ND goes undefeated and takes a playoff spot then it seems very unlikely that a 2-loss team makes it in this year either and it's entirely possible that a 1-loss conference champ gets left out. It's nearly impossible to predict the pecking order though.

To increase our own chances i think we need to pull for some scenarios like Washington winning the Pac-12 with at least 1 conference loss (2 overall) and the Big Ten teams to beat us other up so there's a 2-loss champ there as well. That makes it much more likely for us to get in at 12-1. Regardless of what our schedule looks like at the moment, it's still going to be difficult for us to finish 13-0.

And i really doubt ND actually goes unbeaten. Their defense is good, but their offense is going to be inconsistent this year with Wimbush at QB.

Re: I think it's too early to really even speculate, but we

Sep 6, 2018, 11:20 AM

To me, this should be of concern to the Tigers. It is entirely possible that we do not play a ranked team during the regular season. With no signature wins leaves us vulnerable to getting left out against other teams with comparable records.

Re: If Notre Dame is undefeated, who loses a spot in CFP seeds?

Sep 6, 2018, 10:16 AM

I expect ND to lose at least 2-3 games, so no worries here. OU will be in the playoffs unless something weird happens.

Unfortunately for the PAC-12, UW should not have lost to AU, as that probably killed their chances. I don't see any other good teams in the Pac-12 yet. Maybe by the end of the season one will emerge.

Re: If Notre Dame is undefeated, who loses a spot in CFP seeds?

Sep 6, 2018, 10:19 AM

I think it means the 2nd SEC team would get left out. I'm all for it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Popular thread last year as well***

Sep 6, 2018, 11:18 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully Notre Dame

Sep 6, 2018, 11:20 AM

It would be fantastic if a 0- or (more likely) 1-loss Notre Dame got snubbed due to not having a true conference affiliation. Might be the push to get them to finally join the ACC full-time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,882
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic