Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ICU RN perspective.. 10 days later
Hall of Fame - Tiger Boards Hall of Fame
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 1
   | View Original Thread |

ICU RN perspective.. 10 days later

Mar 20, 2020, 6:37 PM

What started last week with a few PUIs (COVID rule outs) has now turned into every one of our ICU units being at capacity with 15 of our 30 pts being PUIs or positive just in the ICU. We've set up another wing just for positives that do not need critical care.

The recommendation of worker protection change almost daily. We are already rationing and reusing masks, and not even N95s, just plain old simple masks for longer than suggested periods of use. These masks do not protect from airborne, which the CDC says they cannot rule out that COVID is not airborne.. Why? We do not have the stocks of proper PPE (personal protective equipment) or even bleach, cavicide wipes to maintain for the expected duration of this pandemic.

There are some interventions that we are not doing (manual proning) of a sick 85yo COVID positive pt bc the risk of exposure to the 6-8 staff members is not worth the questionable recovery of this man in severe ARDS. His mortality was already at approx 30% just being in ARDS, add in age and positive COVID and the decision makes sense. Sound familiar?

I believe my hospital system is doing the absolute best they can. I believe we are grossly ill equipped and unprepared to handle this. This is multifactorial and in part, IMO, has to do with lack of manufacturing and a complacent reliance on Chinese production of the equipment we need.

I do not feel safe, I do not trust anyone and will challenge MDs and bosses to keep safe. I am encouraging my coworkers to maintain their own safety above all, even if it means refusing some care in an unsafe situation.

If anyone is still doubting, trust me when I say that I fear for my own well being and those of my coworkers.

I do not mean to inspire fear.. This is a plea to please heed the warnings. Isolate. Wash your hands. DO NOT HOARD what you dont need. LEAVE the masks and other PPE for healthcare workers who are spending hours in harm's way to try and help as many as we can.

I believe in the good of people. I believe that if we are all out best, we can do great things and help one another through.

Y'all be safe, keep your hands clean and smiles big. Live with love and be smart.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 0
| visibility 1
Hall of Fame - Tiger Boards Hall of Fame
add New Topic