Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you're older than 12 and ask for someone's autograph then
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

If you're older than 12 and ask for someone's autograph then

Aug 8, 2013, 7:05 AM

you got problems. What does it prove to have someone sign their name on a napkin etc.? zip

Same goes for 40 plus guys who wear player jerseys, you just look creepy weird.

Both of these are low self esteem issues, grow up people.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Respectfully disagree, within reason

Aug 8, 2013, 7:21 AM

If you hound players or coaches in the aisles of Publix or on the way out of church, then certainly you might want to rethink your need for such things.

But autographs of people you respect and admire is simply a way of paying homage. I have autographs of folks ranging from Lester Maddox to Leon Russell to Wahoo McDaniel and feel just fine about it.

One of my mother-in-law's prized possessions is an autograph of Elizabeth Taylor, and my daughter has an autographed poster of Weird Al framed in her college dorm.

The key is want a memento of interaction, not just chasing someone until they relent. Besides, I'm getting too old to run down athletes these days.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have two autograph's I acquired when I was a little nipper

Aug 8, 2013, 7:33 AM

Ronnie "Opie" Howard and his brother Clint "Gentle Ben" Howard acquired in Hollywood in 1968 while attending the Rose Bowl. After that point I thought it was kind of silly, IMHO.

I see nothing wrong with it either. Collecting such

Aug 8, 2013, 7:40 AM [ in reply to Respectfully disagree, within reason ]

memorabilia seems seems perfectly normal to me. Having said that, grown men wearing player jerseys seems a little silly, but that's just me.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

+1 for the jersey comment. I'm glad I'm not the only...

Aug 8, 2013, 7:42 AM

...sane one who thinks that!

Got to disagree. I am with the OP, autographs that are not

Aug 8, 2013, 8:15 AM [ in reply to Respectfully disagree, within reason ]

baseball players from the roaring 20s don't belong in a grown man's house

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

I have 11 of the 12 men who walked on the moon's

Aug 8, 2013, 9:49 PM

autographs. I also have a football with the 81 NC team's autographs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Got to disagree. I am with the OP, autographs that are not

Aug 8, 2013, 11:01 PM [ in reply to Got to disagree. I am with the OP, autographs that are not ]

So, if someone has autographs from baseball players from the roaring 20's, then I would think that they were passed down from someone else. As other posters have said, they get the autographs to pass down to their family.

Weird Al is awesome.***

Aug 8, 2013, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Respectfully disagree, within reason ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Chick, Weird Al might remind her of someone, don't you

Aug 8, 2013, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Respectfully disagree, within reason ]

think?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A person after my own heart! I couldn't agree more.

Aug 8, 2013, 7:28 AM

I have no problem with people collecting memorabilia. Even hanging jerseys in a mancave or something, but I, for the life of me, cannot understand why a grown man would wear the jersey of a college kid or another man for that matter.

I'm all about supporting the team.

As for autographs, I don't understand them. I would rather have a picture or just a handshake.

I've never understood autographs either. Now a picture with

Aug 8, 2013, 7:35 AM

someone would be pretty cool.

Re: I've never understood autographs either. Now a picture with

Aug 8, 2013, 7:43 AM

the age is crucial, to me. I'm pushing 40 (pushing hard), and I would never go up to a Sammy or a Tajh and try to get my pic taken with them. I try and think how I would have felt in college if a 40 year old wanted a pic with me...I realize it's a different circumstance, but these guys don't want older guys hanging on them. If my son was with me, I'd try and get a pic of him With Sammy because that's his hero. He's also 3.
Now, if I saw a childhood hero of mine...might be different...they're older.

Turf2, I understand your thinking, but I have to agree

Aug 8, 2013, 7:40 AM

with the Rev. The affinity for sports these days far surpasses that of my youth, and we can see that right on the Clemson campus during home football games.

Most of us older types would never have imagined Death Valley seating over 80,000 people...nor the lavish tailgating prior to and after games...nor the pre-game hype and TV...nor the amount of money folks spend attending games or hosting huge viewing parties or buying team gear.

Though not an autograph hound, over the years I have sought such, if for no other reason, than to add to memorabilia or to give to family. I don't wear team members' jerseys, but it's a fairly common practice, as I see it, an extension of the increasing popularity of sports. Likewise, the collection of autographs in appropriate forums allows fans the chance to feel more connected to their teams. Thus, those type of practices don't cause alarm.

Probably, what you and I would agree to would be repulsion at those who become intrusive in their quests or attempt to alter their personalities with apparel. Unfortunately, these types do exist. On the other hand most fans practice common sense and manners, so I don't believe the problems to be obtrusive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well put...I have many autographs of photos that I have

Aug 8, 2013, 8:35 AM

taken over the years. It's about saving a little bit of history to share with your family and friends.

I have a jersey I wear when my 11 year old nephew attends the game with me...I am #7 and he is #6 We toss the football around on the field after the game. My arm hurts for a week afterward. :^)

I sought out one autograph last year... Daniel Rodriguez...It's on my hat...When people ask about it I tell them his story to honor him in a small way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ This is what it's about ^^^. It's called "being a fan".***

Aug 8, 2013, 8:41 AM

What about?

Aug 8, 2013, 7:40 AM

What about dad's who ask players to autograph items for their children? Do these men have problems?

Do parents have problems?

Aug 8, 2013, 7:43 AM

Heaven forbid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oops meant that to be dads.

Aug 8, 2013, 7:41 AM

iPhone autocorrected it with the apostrophe.

You Can Pry My Kate Upton Perfume Smelling Autograph

Aug 8, 2013, 7:45 AM

From My Cold Dead Hands

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point for than and then..............***

Aug 8, 2013, 7:54 AM

i was a huge davey allison fan growing up..

Aug 8, 2013, 8:00 AM

met him when i was a kid in 92 got his autograph.told him to wreck dale Earnhardt.he just chuckled.this was when they came to Darlington for the second race of the season.had his brace on his wrist from when he got hurt when he flipped earlier in the year at Pocono

Really

Aug 8, 2013, 8:22 AM

If you're not self employed then I know you look forward to getting your paycheck signed even if it is direct deposit

I'm 6 decades old and according to you I have a problem
I collect them just like Guns,Baseball cards trophies from fishing & hunting
I have a very large collection "NONE" are for sale
most are pictures signed to me or I'm also in the picture
with Carter, Regan, Bush, Clinton & Bush
Pictures with Lynyrd Skynyrd the night of their last concert in Greenville,SC
Clemson players too many to count, Nascar Drivers
Most of the time someone takes a picture of me talking with someone else
I understand what you were trying to say but there are some who like to collect

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you explain the Alf picture on your signature? Are you twelve ?

Aug 8, 2013, 9:16 AM

Just kidding man !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Idk why people think it's so weird to wear jerseys

Aug 8, 2013, 9:57 AM

It is a little strange to wear college jerseys to me, but not NFL. Millions of grown men wear NFL jerseys on Sundays...

Have you ever been to a Miami Hurricanes game.

Aug 8, 2013, 10:26 AM

Adult men wearing college jerseys is definitely the norm rather than the exception.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: If you're older than 12 and ask for someone's autograph then

Aug 8, 2013, 10:36 AM

Well I am 30 and I have a Clemson football that I try to get as many will fit on it. Granted its something I will leave for my sons, but it's an actual football of my favorite team, don't wear jerseys and I don't have them sign my moobs. Maybe a little childish, but isn't that what a game brings out in all of us.

Agree...

Aug 8, 2013, 10:42 AM

I hate grown men wearing jerseys, period. It's the equivalent of grown ups dressing up for Halloween in my opinion. I hate it, but to each is there own. Regarding autographs, I'm not going to stand in line for one or ask for one. I'll take my kid. I have lots of autographed memorabilia (the signed photo with the '80 US hockey team is my favorite), but I'm not going to stand in line for or chase someone down for it.

I do have a Tommy Bowden autographed football my wife gave me. I wonder what the value of that is on the open market now? :)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Disagree...

Aug 8, 2013, 10:46 AM

I don't ask for autographs, but I don't think there is anything wrong with it. So long as you are not annoying / aggressive / creepy about it.

Regarding jerseys...absolutely nothing wrong with rocking a jersey of your favorite college or pro team.

So if someone gave you a Spiller jersey, you'd never wear it? What if your a Redskins fan and you won a RG3 jersey? Would you not wear it?

Been rocking my Mike Minor jersey during all 13 games

Aug 8, 2013, 10:49 AM

Quite proudly, too. Pestering players for autographs is one thing, but there is nothing wrong with wearing a jersey.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Disagree...

Aug 8, 2013, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Disagree... ]

absolutely not, on both questions/scenarios.

Grown men

Aug 8, 2013, 11:36 AM

Shouldn't be chasing college kids for their autograph. The ones that really annoy me are the guys at PGA tournaments with arm loads of flags trying to push kids to the side so they can get autographs and put them on eBay.

I got Michael Jordan when I was 11

Aug 8, 2013, 9:06 PM

Hangs in my 4 year old boys room. He has no idea who that it.

I smile every time I look at it.

I get keeping autographs. I don't get buying them. I would not ask for them as an adult, but I look forward to my kids getting them from somebody.

I'm glad I am a dad!

Aug 8, 2013, 9:53 PM

It gives me a chance to take the kids down on the field "for the kids". Take a few pictures with cheerleaders and the players "for the kids".

Never been a big memorabilia guy

Aug 8, 2013, 9:56 PM

however, I did have a #7 Cliff Austin mesh jersey.

we were classmates/friends at the time. I always cherished it.
Lost it in the divorce .

I met Danny Ford and Perry Tuttle in a hotel in Greenwood

Aug 8, 2013, 10:00 PM

not too many years ago and each was happy to make an autograph out to me on a googled and printed copy of the Sports Illustrated cover from 1982.

It's on the wall in my office. I guess I prefer not to grow up. It seemed like neither of them did either.

Go Tigers! Beat Georgia!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 8, 2013, 10:04 PM

Sounds to me like you got some issues buddy.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have Babe Ruth, (2) Lou Gehrig, Danny Ford, Fridge &

Aug 8, 2013, 10:08 PM

B. Dawkins autographs and a small handful of others: Jack Lambert, Ronnie Lott & Harry Carson. Don't feel like 12-yr old kid.

I'm sure most of the jersey haters are the jewelry rattling

Aug 8, 2013, 10:28 PM

crowd that show up to football games in slacks, a 200 dollar Clemson shirt, and leather shoes and their wives have the feather boa thing happening and entirely too much make up on with their dress....because we all know what I just described is football game day attire and definitely not jerseys.

Kind of a sweeping generalization there

Aug 8, 2013, 10:40 PM

So a father getting an autograph of a celebrity while he's away on business to bring home to his child has problems? I'm 21 years old and have gotten an autograph from a player to give to my little cousin for his birthday because he's a huge Clemson fan, do I have problems? Grown men that get autographs to sell are scumbags and grown men in jerseys can't be trusted but an adult asking for an autograph is not automatically a terrible person.

Aug 8, 2013, 11:52 PM

Not sure that I totally agree with the Jersey wearing hatred. I'm 38 and will wear the jersey on game days whether its just in my house watching the game, at the local bar with friends or at the game itself. Don't see anything wrong with that now and didn't when I was a kid either.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2013, 7:25 AM

Agree with the 12 yr old limit on autographs. Even more I agree with a 12 yr old limit on guys wearing jerseys. Trust me, when you are a 40 yr old man and you ask someone for an autograph, even they chuckle inside and wonder why you are jock sniffing. Even worse are the jersey wearers. Do they actually think that someone will think that they know the player and were given a jersey, or in some cases you can tell that some of the twenty somethings actually are hoping that maybe some girl will think they are actually a player. Act like an adult. Wear a golf shirt with you teams logo. Bit leave the jerseys to little kids. I know I saw a guy about a year ago strutting around a restaurant in a Peyton Manning jersey. Being very loud acting like a football expert. A couple buddies ofine went over to him, acting all excited, asking if he was really Peyton Manning. It was priceless to see the foolish look on that guys face. He left about a minute later in total shamme. Which he should have.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic