Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best Path to the Playoff - Hindsight Edition
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Best Path to the Playoff - Hindsight Edition

Dec 5, 2017, 2:51 PM

So the CFPC has shown us 2 years straight that your best chance to reach the playoffs is to lose one game to your eventual division champ. Do not risk going to a conference championship. If you have one loss but lose your conference your championship, you miss the playoff. Even if you're undefeated, have practically the same resume as a national brand program sitting at home but then lose your conference championship, you miss the playoff. Don't risk that 13th game - its not worth it. Go 11-1, have your players get an extra week's rest on those poor conference championship play schmucks, then get your #3 or #4 seed selection on Sunday and laugh all the way to the bank!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best Path to the Playoff - Hindsight Edition

Dec 5, 2017, 2:52 PM

OSU lost by 31 to an unranked team, USC beat nobody.... which one would you have rather had in?

or ... don't lose two games ... still never been a 2-loss

Dec 5, 2017, 2:55 PM

team going into the CFP

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is patently ($1 to dsp) stoopid

Dec 5, 2017, 2:55 PM

If Wisc. scores on the final drive, Alabama is out. Because OSU won, the decision came down to those two teams...

but to suggest that Alabama "benefited" by not playing in the SECCG is stoopid.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this is patently ($1 to dsp) stoopid

Dec 5, 2017, 3:34 PM

But the issue is that Bama did benefit from not playing in the SEC Champ. If they had and lost to UGA then they're more than likely out, which was one of the several points OP made.

However, twice out of three times (66.6666666666667%) a team that finished 11-1, and did not play in their conference championship has made it in.

I think he's saying we should have beat Syracuse and lost to NC State instead, then we get the extra bye week.

Shouldn't you be focusing on Coaching matters???

Dec 5, 2017, 3:43 PM [ in reply to this is patently ($1 to dsp) stoopid ]

Didn't even know you had the mental capacity to talk actual football politics!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIGER BALLS.

Of the 16 teams that have made the CFP

Dec 5, 2017, 3:02 PM

only 2 managed to get in the mix with your "best path" to the playoff... and only because the other conference champions available all had 2 losses.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

I agree

Dec 5, 2017, 3:30 PM

Going into last weekend it was Clemson, Auburn, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Alabama, Georgia, Miami and Ohio State. Clemson and OK won, Auburn and WIS lost. OK has to move up and Auburn and WIS have to move out. GA magically moves up 3 spots because it crushed a team that just crushed it a couple of weeks ago. OSU beats the last undefeated major team in the championship game and that counts for nothing because they lost to Iowa by 31. The moral of the story (2 years in a row) is if you are from the Big Ten or the SEC and you are a major brand, have one loss, don't win your division or conference and you have a great chance of being declared a top 4 team.

One scenario that will NEVER happen... the committee will NEVER not pick the SEC champion. EVER...

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

disagree... if somehow UGA had lost to GT... then

Dec 5, 2017, 3:46 PM

beat AU... they would not be in... IMO

better question is if osu did not play oklahom and instead

Dec 5, 2017, 3:45 PM

had an easy win

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2017, 9:54 AM

So quick to troll, no time to read. The comment, sans the typo, was made that Wisconsin has to be out. Why? I think Wisconsin has the same resume as Alabama PLUS a 13th game. Bama just has the brand. We just "feel" that any Saban-led team will perform in the CFP but we don't KNOW that about this team. The resume does not SHOW that. We just THINK that. Bama beat LSU and Miss St. Wisconsin beat Northwestern and Michigan. I wouldn't give a dollar for the difference in those 4 teams. Bama lost to a Top 10 Auburn by 2 scores. Wisconsin lost to a Top 10 OSU by one score. They didn't win their conference but at least they played for it!

And stop with the trolling. You don't agree with what someone expresses. Fine. Express your dissenting opinion. But we all support the Paw - we are all on the same side. Stop acting like 12 yr old punks just because you're behind the safety of the internet. Civility begins now.

Not really, the message is to schedule patsies so you don't

Dec 6, 2017, 10:23 AM

lose twice.

Had USC played Portland St instead of ND, they'd be in.

I hate this message.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2017, 10:53 AM

Jscott, you are absolutely correct. Unfortunately, some on here can't recognize the sarcasm of your original post, if it hit them in the head.

Bama absolutely has no better resume than Wisconsin, and Wisky did at least play in their CCG. But, Bama passes the "eye test"! Screw the 'eye test"! The eye test is only relevant when comparing two teams, as they play each other. For example, when the coots played NC State, the eye test told me NC State was better, in spite of losing that game.

Since their resumes are equal, the advantage should have gone to Wisky, since the SEC already had UGA in. Two teams from the same conference should be avoided if possible.

Dec 6, 2017, 11:12 AM

Especially a conference where half the coaches got fired or jumped ship. That tells you the conference is in turmoil and the level of competition is not up to standard. No way should a tumultuous conference have gotten 2 teams in, especially one team that did not play for the title.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic