Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How the heck did this happen ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 611

How the heck did this happen ?

Jan 4, 2020, 9:48 AM
tuition.jpg(114.5 K)

word

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

gubmint student loans***

Jan 4, 2020, 10:16 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: gubmint student loans***

Jan 4, 2020, 11:16 AM

I would love to hear the explanation behind this nonsense.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Simple. There is a market for higher education.

Jan 4, 2020, 11:33 AM

AND there is a supply. The demand is there. Always. Now when you toss in lottery money for scholarships, that does not bring down the cost. It increases it because there are only so many slots available for students. Has Clemson tripled its student population in the past 20 years? No, just their tuition. So if you have new money funding more students, you can increase the additional tuition needed per student to get the same caliber of students (class ranking and academic standards) and keep the same overall number. If today's student enrolling at Clemson has the same standards the university demands for attendance, then you know right off the bat they have X amount of scholarship money. So you know you're getting the scholarship money anyway, so you jack up the price to cover the increase in lottery money and keep the market the same.

This is why government intervention into free markets almost always results in higher costs. When there is a finite supply, and a growing demand, they will always jack up costs to keep the overall burden the same, in order to maximize revenues. You see this in medicine as well. BILLIONS roll into medical providers from the government. Then you have billions more through insurance. The demand is there and ever increasing. So costs skyrocket as well.

Take a look at college campuses and hospitals. Every ###### one of them is building, getting fancier, and bigger. Cheap debt also helps with this. Student loans at low rates have pumped trillions more into colleges. Point is if you make it easier financially to attend college, the price will jump accordingly to make it equally as difficult as before to attend.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Simple. There is a market for higher education.

Jan 4, 2020, 11:44 AM

that could be backed up by the rise in application rates. But we have been offering government backed loans for over 50 years, and the recent spike in application rates could also be influenced by the fact that a college degree is far more important now that ever if you expect have a decent income.

Jan 4, 2020, 12:41 PM

Application rates are a reflection of schools growing by dumbing down entrance requirements. Some universities can't be considered higher education.

A simple supply and demand chart will explain what Tiggy elaborated on in his post.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2020, 6:37 AM

enrollment at Clemson is exactly the same now as it was when I attended, but it is also a lot harder to get into with higher application rates, so I think you got it backwards.

Like I said, access to government backed loans for higher education have been around since the 1960s, so why the recent spike in prices over the the last 20 years?

a part is due to the fact that states are subsidizing the tuition cost less and less every year. It also costs money to renovate and replace buildings while schools are in competition with one another for the top students. I mean there are 5 decades worth of fans here that lived in Johnston. You think kids would actually want to live in them now? I barely recognized the campus the last time I was up there.

I paid 4k out of state a semester in the nineties and had my loans paid off by 30. I feel sorry for the sacrifices kids have to make now. If your dream is to become an elementary school teacher, you will be paying off your student debt for the rest of your life. If you want to become a software engineer, then you will be fine.

money supply went up

Jan 4, 2020, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Re: gubmint student loans*** ]

everything goes up when extra money is available, housing and healthcare too

Re: money supply went up

Jan 4, 2020, 5:10 PM

and military equipment

Two major things....

Jan 4, 2020, 10:30 AM

1 - Less tax money going to each public school

2 - Students needing nice things now. And they still complain.

My neighbor (who is a soph at Clemson now) had a private room with her own bathroom as a Frosh. She lived in campus housing. 20 years ago Johnstone was 2 to a room with community restrooms. The pampering costs lots of money. Therefore tuition goes up.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Two major things....

Jan 4, 2020, 10:46 AM

And I feel sorry for her? Nope. Never.

I lived on campus for 4 years. My parents couldn’t afford me to live in an apartment or even the fraternity house. And I sure as #### wasn’t taking a loan. It’s their own darn fault.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well I couldn't afford to live on campus and my parents

Jan 5, 2020, 6:47 AM

didn't pay my way so I lived in a trailer park over towards Seneca. For four years my rent was $125 a month. I had no phone, no car. Today off campus housing, even the high end close to school, is still cheaper than on campus housing.

I had three in college at once. The last one is in his last semester.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s really just #1 and it’s all about structural changes in the economy.

Jan 4, 2020, 6:45 PM [ in reply to Two major things.... ]

Less taxes collected by the state because people are making less money. The state does tricks like the lottery, which is just an inefficient, regressive tax. Keeping us happy with bread and circuses. Meanwhile, the expense of college these days exacerbates the income disparity.

Bottom line: We are well and truly phuqqed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How the heck did this happen ?

Jan 4, 2020, 11:03 AM

Subsidies for public university educations have slowly been whittled away since the mid seventies, and it continues to this day.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/education/most-americans-dont-realize-state-funding-for-higher-ed-fell-by-billions

https://www.cbpp.org/research/state-budget-and-tax/a-lost-decade-in-higher-education-funding

Odd they left off scholarship money from that list.

Jan 4, 2020, 11:35 AM

And student loans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Politicians on both side using federal money to buy votes.

Jan 4, 2020, 12:36 PM

People are going to college to make a living off of student loans. I had a nephew who spent five years at one of the small 4 yr colleges in Chatt, TN. When he maxed out on his loans he transferred to Bryan College in Dayton.

Colleges and universities dumb down course so these morons can remain in school, continue to borrow money to pay those high prices and some graduate without any resemblance to a real college grad.

Government continues to loan money and schools continue to lower the level of education required to enter and continue to borrow and pay.

Imo, the average college student would be financially better off learning a craft or trade.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 611
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic