Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Former Clemson Tiger Kyle Fisher killing it for Montreal
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 2,534

Former Clemson Tiger Kyle Fisher killing it for Montreal

May 21, 2017, 6:01 PM

Not a lot of people noticed but Clemson centerback Kyle Fisher went with the 14th overall pick in the first round to the Montreal Impact in MLS...like several former Clemson standouts Oguchi Onyewu and Tommy MacNamara who have had dominant games lately, Fisher picked today to dominate.

First he split his head open in an aerial battle with gargantuan Portland forward Fernando Adi, then (with a bandaged head) he still headed in a smashing corner before halftime. He got six stitches put in at halftime, stayed in the game, and later got another assist en route to helping Montreal to a 4-1 win over Portland. That is tough, peoples.

MLS is quietly becoming a Top-10 league globally, and rowdy markets like Montreal are a big part of the reason why. Kinda cool to see Clemson guys increasingly taking their place in what is becoming a very competitive league that's averaging 24K a game now, and regularly is drawing 50K+ down in Atlanta for Atlanta United's inaugural season.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2017-05-20-montreal-impact-vs-portland-timbers/recap

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Former Clemson Tiger Kyle Fisher killing it for Montreal

May 21, 2017, 7:22 PM

Soccer is such a grossly under-appreciated sport. Most people simply don't know how to watch it. One clue is: don't watch the ball...follow the direction of play. Once you learn this, you can see 'things' happen from many yards away...which most people won't have a clue is coming.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2017, 7:14 AM

"Soccer is such a grossly under-appreciated sport." How so? It is the most popular sport in the world. Perhaps you meant "by some"? I can think of 10 sports quickly that I'd rather watch.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2017, 9:39 AM

I meant under-appreciated in the US...should have known better than assume folks would know that was meant.

May 22, 2017, 8:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Former Clemson Tiger Kyle Fisher killing it for Montreal ]

I don't think you will ever convince non soccer people to watch, especially the MLS, but the growth in the youth game has started to build a healthy fanbase in the US. Another key is building the US leagues to compete with the world. Americans do not like to lose and as long as the MLS is considered second tier it will be difficult to gain the casual fan. The MLS has the organic growth model down and the exposure to make a splash. If they can start playing against recognizable European teams and get a few wins excitement will continue to grow.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

May 21, 2017, 10:49 PM

Wherever they may roam , Go Tigers !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May seem a little nit-picky... but

May 22, 2017, 9:41 AM

This the Clemson Football bored...

NOT Clemson Futbol

K Thanks
Signed- LbB

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: May seem a little nit-picky... but

May 22, 2017, 5:37 PM

Well, if you're going to bash Quozzel for posting futbol on football, you run the risk of doing so to perhaps the most insightful poster on this board. He says more with fewer posts (not fewer words, granted ;) ) than virtually any other here.

Replies: 7
| visibility 2,534
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic