Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Eric Church questions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Eric Church questions

Jun 12, 2020, 8:47 AM

Is he cool or is he a Bro-Country D-Bag?

I watched him on the Prine special last night and I didn't particularly like his song. Something about his voice wasn't right. I always thought he was mainstream country music AF. But I see his name come up alot with Festivals for musicians I like. Then I see him on this program for John Prine and he is one of the few last night that I didn't like.

Secondly, I have gotten into COncert Posters recently and his posters are pretty f*cking awesome sometimes. Not that I would buy one, but they are cool. Anyways, I keep seeing him pop up everywhere.

Is he not a product of Music Row? Is it cool to like Eric Church? If one were to listen to him, where would one start?

#SayNoToBroCountry

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like some of his songs, but everytime I've seen him

Jun 12, 2020, 8:50 AM

perform live it's been abysmal.

I want so say he performed at halftime for one of our bowl games. Maybe the Orange Bowl against Ohio State in 2013-14? Can't remember.

Anywho, I don't put him in the same bucket as Florida Georgia Line or Luke Bryan. More like a Zac Brown type. Obed® can muse further on the gifts and talents of Zac Brown

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really liked most of the Chief album.

Jun 12, 2020, 8:52 AM

But that was before I learned of Blackberry Smoke, Cody Jinks, Whitey Morgan and the like. Ray Wylie Hubbard deems him acceptable to work with so I figure he isn't all bad. Probably best to describe him has a bridge the popular stuff and good stuff.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^THIS^

Jun 12, 2020, 9:25 AM

Once Ray Wylie Hubbard did a co-write and vouched for him, that was enough to make him acceptable for me. He's not one of my favorites, but I won't turn him off either. He's got a couple few tunes I really like, but he's not typical of my playlists.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has some songs that suck, like "Homeboy",

Jun 12, 2020, 9:34 AM

some that I liked but got tired of, like "Drink in my Hand", and some that I liked "Hung over and Hard Up", or "Over When It's Over."

At this point I think he'd do himself favors by ditching the security blanket that are those sunglasses. He isn't Ray or Ronnie, so as far as I know he doesn't really need them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funny you say that. I read he wears them because his

Jun 12, 2020, 10:31 AM

contact lenses dry them out. That and the denim Von Dutch trucker hat make me think he is a dbag.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Laski or maybe normal glasses then.

Jun 12, 2020, 11:07 AM

I get that style and image are a part of the whole thing but some times I think you move away from that.

He was great on Gameday.

Jun 12, 2020, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Funny you say that. I read he wears them because his ]

He genuinely likes college football, and he knows the players and the rivalries (without being coached by ESPN). He was one of their best, if not the best Gameday visiting pickers.

If he ever gives up singing, he'd do well as a college football analyst.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He was great on Gameday.

Jun 12, 2020, 2:55 PM

Was guest picker at Notre Dame hurricane game

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Biggest thing is he will NEVER

Jun 12, 2020, 9:15 AM

be Andre 3000. No matter how hard he tries.

3 showed up selling shirts this week for the cause

Jun 12, 2020, 9:25 AM

on instagram.

$75 is steep for a tshirt though, very steep.

My favorite is this one.

https://andre3000.com/products/which-type-of-stereo-are-you

What are the other 2?***

Jun 12, 2020, 9:32 AM

Dabu, PLEASE.

Jun 12, 2020, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Biggest thing is he will NEVER ]

THAT'S NOT GANGSTA.

Bro-Country D-Bag

Jun 12, 2020, 9:19 AM

all the way

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

I like his older stuff a lot more than his newer stuff.

Jun 12, 2020, 9:36 AM

He's getting more mainstream it seems but he is still a far cry from FLGA Line and the like.

I've never thought of him as a bro-country guy, but he's

Jun 12, 2020, 9:44 AM

more nashville (current) than the others mentioned above. More radioable. He's NOT bro-mags, low country squat, light bars, and white sunglasses if that's what you mean. He's not Tyler Childers either.

Message was edited by: CUFOR98®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like some of his music, but he does have a hint of inbred mouth***

Jun 12, 2020, 10:02 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you really love concert posters

Jun 12, 2020, 10:44 AM

This site has good old school ones

https://www.wolfgangs.com/posters.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wolfgangs has the best, but they are PRICEY. My collection

Jun 12, 2020, 10:49 AM

is much smaller and much less value.

I've got a couple in the $300-500 range, most much less though. Got a Jim Pollock on the way though, pumped about that one.

He's no David Alan Coe

Jun 12, 2020, 11:04 AM

but who is, amiright?

Is DAC even as good as DAC anymore?***

Jun 12, 2020, 11:08 AM

No..he's old and should stop playing in public.

Jun 12, 2020, 11:10 AM

But this was pretty good version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDunQbkkD0c

Saw him several times way back when he was an imposing

Jun 12, 2020, 11:51 AM

scary man. I'm sure I've told the story of someone in the audience throwing a crushed beer can and hitting his guitar at a show at the Armadillo Palace in Athens, GA in the early 80s. He stopped the show and challenged the entire place to fight him....bikers, rednecks, some of the worst elements of humanity were represented there that night and you could not hear anyone breathe after DAC issued the challenge. He said "I guess not" and launched right back into the song he was playing. He traditionally opened Willie's 4th of July Picnic and saw him twice there. He could hardly move, sat down the entire set, had to be helped up when he was done, and barely played his guitar. And I still enjoyed every minute of it.

I am not sure about me, but I am certain

Jun 12, 2020, 11:54 AM

that is the most redneck thing that sharkgirl has ever done. And it it says anything, even he has taken the confederate flag off his guitar.

LOLUTZ.

Jun 12, 2020, 12:14 PM

That's saying a lot, given how much SharkGirl hangs out with the two of us.

Wait a minit. You've been to Willie's 4th of July Picnic?***

Jun 12, 2020, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Saw him several times way back when he was an imposing ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Twicet.

Jun 12, 2020, 12:41 PM

One time me and the Mrs. and second time us and aero and SharkGirl.

RH and I have both been, twice.

Jun 12, 2020, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Wait a minit. You've been to Willie's 4th of July Picnic?*** ]

The first time I went there were such acts as DAC, Jamey Johnson, Asleep at the Wheel, Jason Isbell, Strugill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, Kacey Musgraves, Johnny Bush, Leon Russel, and Merle Haggard.

Second time had Hayes Carll, Steve Earle, Ray Wyile Hubbard, Sheryl Crow and a ton of others.

One of APM's sincerest regrets is never having attended.

Jun 12, 2020, 1:02 PM

And APM even lived in Texas for a while. No excuse.

APM has seen Willie many a time though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do it before you can't survive the heat.

Jun 12, 2020, 1:07 PM

That will probably happen long before Willie passes, by the way. No reality show puts contestants in a tougher situation than staying the entire festival from first note to last note in July in Texas.

I love the added challenge of

Jun 12, 2020, 1:13 PM

having to wait outside for an hour to have any hopes of hearing the first notes. The picnic may not end on time, but he #### sure is punctual with the start. ##### in seats be ######.

David Alan Coe is.***

Jun 12, 2020, 11:09 AM [ in reply to He's no David Alan Coe ]

Kristofferson loves him

Jun 12, 2020, 1:13 PM

And that’s about all I need to know. Check out his cover of to beat the Devil from the Kristofferson tribute, it’s a great rendition and he tells a personal story about his time in Nashville

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Eric Church questions

Jun 12, 2020, 2:41 PM

I’ve met him twice. One of the nicest guys u could meet. Always played Blind Horse in Greenville b4 big time. As far as you can get from the “bro country dbags” u speak of. He played in AZ b4 National Championship game. Always a great live show

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic