Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does Clemson have to play all its OOC games against the SEC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Does Clemson have to play all its OOC games against the SEC?

Aug 4, 2018, 11:45 AM

Is there a rule or something ...

Just thinking there are other Power 5 conferences out there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thinking the same thing here. Always thought some matchups

Aug 4, 2018, 11:54 AM

with Big10 or Big12 teams would be great and wouldn't require a cross country flight.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like the Iowa Hawkeyes... they're closer than BC.***

Aug 4, 2018, 11:56 AM

Exactly... a home and home with

Aug 4, 2018, 11:56 AM

Ohio state, Michigan, heck Washington, so cal...we recruit against a lot of schools other than sec schools too so it could still have that brand building component with those schools. Plus it would give us fans something more exciting than freaking auburn every couple years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In truth

Aug 4, 2018, 11:59 AM

I want the guy that does Alabama's scheduling to fiddle with ours. It is always good to play the Sisters of the Poor Fighing Scarecrows several times a year to provide style points and easy wins.

And bama would never play William AND Mary at the same time.***

Aug 4, 2018, 1:12 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does Clemson have to play all its OOC games against the SEC?

Aug 4, 2018, 11:57 AM

I think it is more of getting our product in a highly marketed and televised game in our primary recruiting areas. While it would be fun to play Oregon or Oklahoma, etc, etc... it really doesn't benefit us much. This is why Rad prefers home and home series as it can put us in LSU territory, Georgia, Bama, etc.

There is more to it than just the conference. Plus you want the area to be within travel distance that fans can make it fairly easily to have good representation at the game.

They're the closest. And we compete more for players

Aug 4, 2018, 11:58 AM

in their regions.

No but that's how we like it.

Aug 4, 2018, 11:59 AM

We get to embarrass the ESPiN talkers when they stick close to home and pick the SEC team to win the games. I know they lust after an SEC victory over Clemson. Actually, we're about all that makes the SEC interesting anymore.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lulz. Why do they hate us so.***

Aug 4, 2018, 1:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we keep reminding them their girlfriend is fat and ugly.

Aug 4, 2018, 1:59 PM

it is quite rude of us.

No wait, that's not their girlfriend. Their $2 billion ##### they keep pimping to everybody is fat and ugly.

Message was edited by: tiger_swimmer®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Play the SEC for recruiting exposure up until now

Aug 4, 2018, 12:02 PM

Pretty sure the Paw is now very well known all over the globe so no need to beat up on those SEC schools any longer.

I would love a Home and Home with a Texas/OkState/Michigan/Iowa/Iowa State. I highly doubt any of those teams would want to play Clemson but it’s s nice thought

Re: Play the SEC for recruiting exposure up until now

Aug 4, 2018, 1:43 PM

Exactly. Our brand is built now... why not showcase it elsewhere ? Plus I’d MUCH rather pay to fly to osu or Oregon than travel a few miles to Athens. While I do want the uga series, man itd be fun to play in some iconic venues like osu or the coliseum

Re: Play the SEC for recruiting exposure up until now

Aug 4, 2018, 4:47 PM

We could have played last year in the Coliseum but Dabo chose Bourbon Street

Aug 4, 2018, 12:19 PM

The AU, UGA and Bama series have history going back a long way. I picked up on DRad referring to not wanting games that are sterile which I totally agree with. Neutral site or home and home with schools you may have never played or only met once in a Bowl is the definition of sterile. You want your opponent to be familiar enough with you for their fans to have contempt and vice versa.

Aug 4, 2018, 12:20 PM

I like playing SEC teams (I like beating them more), but I would like to mix it up just a little bit as well. It would be fun to have a home-and-home with a B1G or PAC-12 team.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd like Power 5 schools to start pooling future OOC open

Aug 4, 2018, 12:24 PM

dates and let a committee determine home / away match-ups at the end of bowl season for the coming season based on competitive likenesses history, intrigue, etc. All played in school stadiums, change it up every year. If you targeted 2023 as a starting point there are 30 programs available. It jumps to 40 and 50 the following two years. We have to schedule so far in advance now that 8 years later our opponent could be a completely different animal than at the time we sign up. A sponsor would pay top $$$ to back this.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good for recruiting and smashing SEC myth***

Aug 4, 2018, 12:52 PM

Aug 4, 2018, 1:00 PM

We are just scheduling some cupcakes like the SEC does.lol

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2018, 1:06 PM

Interesting site..... http://mcubed.net/ncaaf/tvc/clem/sec.shtml

Clemson is (51-98-5) against SEC (16 wins vs USC) but cudos for your 5-1 record versus the SEC the last two seasons. Bama broke a 5 game Win streak in last year's Sugar Bowl.

You do realize a lot of that record happened a long time ago

Aug 4, 2018, 1:12 PM

when Clemson was a tiny military school right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2018, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Clemson have to play all its OOC games against the SEC? ]

As both a UF and Clemson fan, I like that when Clemson schedules a series vs. the SEC, it is against good SEC teams. This year's and next year's aTm games may be an unknown quality at present, but you can expect any series with UGA and LSU will be good physical football. I expect we will meet UGA in the playoffs before a regular season game between the two is played.

Aug 4, 2018, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Does Clemson have to play all its OOC games against the SEC? ]

No, but it's hard to beat a home and home

Aug 4, 2018, 1:16 PM

With LSU or UGA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic