Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can we please just establish FSU as our rival?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Can we please just establish FSU as our rival?

Feb 3, 2017, 9:13 AM

Walt Deptula said it best, "Scar is not on Clemson's level. Clemson is competing with the Alabama's and Ohio State's of the world." Which means we aren't competing with a team that loses to Kentucky, Mississippi State and playing in Birmingham Bowls.

It's the same conversation daily. "Do they not get that we are a top 5 program and aren't going anywhere?" NO! They don't get that! For every post about a meltdown on FGF or delusional posts on FGF, we should all realize they will never understand that. They will always talk about a weak conference and all this stuff, and we will continue to play 14 or 15 games a season. And beat them by 40 or 50 points head to head, and they will still never get it.

The game with Scar will be a noon or 3:30 game, and every year we will play FSU at 830 and College Gameday will be there. The FSU game will have conference championship and playoff implications every year, and a 5 or 6 win Scar team will look at Clemson as their national championship, and we will use that game to get our inexperienced players some playing time.

Jimbo saying that about our indoor facility really burned me up. He should have came up and looked at that CFP national championship trophy and reminisced on how we came to their house and walked out with a W. I can't wait to watch Christian, Dex, Clelin, Pagano and Austin Bryant drive Francois in the ground over and over again, in our house, right across the road from that 60 million dollar football complex

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can we please just establish FSU as our rival?

Feb 3, 2017, 9:29 AM

Fla St is a tough game every year. I look forward to it much more than USCjr, but to declare us the winner in Feb is fool-hearty at best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Feb 3, 2017, 9:32 AM

I didn't predict a win, just predicted a repeat of watching Francois's head bounc off that beautiful grass in Death Valley like it did last year in Tally

I'm guilty of it too but the freak out around here if

Feb 3, 2017, 9:38 AM

SCar brought in FSU's class would be out of control.

But since FSU brought in that monster class it's just so ho hum around here.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: I'm guilty of it too but the freak out around here if

Feb 3, 2017, 9:55 AM

I can't imagine what that would be like. I could probably read more about Clemson on a Scar website if that happened.

I'm glad you commented, I have a couple of questions about some rumors I have heard. Is Jake Venables thinking about going to IMG? And did Ben Batson transfer to Dorman? Heard this about a week ago but haven't seen anything about it. And the DE that stayed at TL Hanna in Anderson that didn't transfer to IMG, can't think of his name as I type, do you know where we stand on him?

There is a very good reason why....

Feb 3, 2017, 9:46 AM

$CU fans are WIDELY regarded as the most ignorant and deluded fan base in all of college athletics.

The have the arrogance of Notre Dame but the history, tradition, and trophy case of Temple.

$CU is beneath Clemson both athletically and academically and totally unworthy of ANY attention from Clemson but for one short week each year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: There is a very good reason why....

Feb 3, 2017, 9:58 AM

"the arrogance of Notre Dame but the history, tradition, and trophy case of Temple."

Love that analogy.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My apologies to Temple***

Feb 3, 2017, 10:03 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is a very good reason why....

Feb 3, 2017, 10:03 AM [ in reply to There is a very good reason why.... ]

Don't sell Temple short. They've won 2 conference championships. South Carolina only has 1.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU & SCAR: Both "rivals" for different reasons

Feb 3, 2017, 10:00 AM

FSU ... the rival you most want to beat.
SCAR ... the rival you most want to avoid losing to.

For different reasons, "not losing" to SCAR is just as important to Clemson fans as "beating" FSU.

PS: This all used to apply to Georgia & SCAR, but the principle remains the same.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU = Our rival SCAR = Our b!tch***

Feb 3, 2017, 10:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU is a great team we have to beat to get to our goals

Feb 3, 2017, 10:11 AM

its hard to have a rival that is 3 states and 7 hours away. There isn't much overlap in fanbases. They are a great program and we play great and meaningful games against them. Last year was the first time in a long time that I can remember either team virtually eliminated from the conference championship race before the game was played.

SC is a proximal hate. You don't want to lose to to your neighbor. The games are usually just a speed bump on the way and are virtually meaningless except for bragging rights.

Re: FSU is a great team we have to beat to get to our goals

Feb 3, 2017, 10:15 AM

We look at that differently, I see us as separated by one state (Georgia), which is a state we have recruiting battles against them every year. We don't recruit against Scar. But I def agree, don't want to lose to your neighbor, but I see FSU as much more because of the playing and recruiting rivalry, and we go to their state and the one state that separates us to bring in major recruits

Clearly FSU is the bigger and more important game

Feb 3, 2017, 10:32 AM

but I think to have a rivalry you have to have a bit of hate thrown in.

From a recruiting Georgia standpoint, Auburn is equally important as FSU. Auburn recruits the same footprint as us more than FSU does. FSU dominates south Georgia and we've had a few from down there (Adam Choice, Brandon Thompson). But our Georgia footprint is more north of I-20/metro Atlanta and a few from middle Georgia. Thats pretty much Auburn territory.

Agree with the "proximal hate" analogy.

Feb 3, 2017, 10:21 AM [ in reply to FSU is a great team we have to beat to get to our goals ]

When we had the annual home & home with Georgia in the 80s and the teams were equal, the game was rapidly beginning to take the place of the SCAR game as our main rivalry.

Georgia being only 80 miles down the road made the interaction with Dawg fans pretty frequent and intense.

We don't see a lot of FSU fans in upstate South Carolina outside of the gameday every other year.

Feb 3, 2017, 10:16 AM

As far as I'm concerned, everybody we play is our rival!!!

Feb 3, 2017, 10:20 AM

I hate those phrases, the Alabama's and the Ohio St's of the world. I get it, but makes no sense ,there's only one of each. Had to get it off my chest, hear it in radio way too much.

Soon they will be saying "The Clemson's of the World" ...

Feb 3, 2017, 10:23 AM

... in fact, they already are!

:)

We will beat them by a half a hundred that will shut them up***

Feb 3, 2017, 10:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We just beat them 56 - 7...

Feb 3, 2017, 11:51 AM

and it could have EASILY been 77 - 7 had Dabo not felt bad for them and called-off the dogs, and they're still just as mouthy as ever.

It's one of the few things at which $CU fans excel. That and procreating with their first cousins.

Re: We will beat them by a half a hundred that will shut them up***

Feb 3, 2017, 4:46 PM [ in reply to We will beat them by a half a hundred that will shut them up*** ]

no it won't.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: establish FSU as our rival? Who is their ACC rival?

Feb 3, 2017, 10:33 AM

I know ours is GT. Did Miami get them? Thanks

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

competing with the citadel's to. lol***

Feb 3, 2017, 10:39 AM

we've won 8 out of 12***

Feb 3, 2017, 11:55 AM

For 15 yrs I've considered FSU our primary rival and Scar secondary.

Feb 3, 2017, 12:52 PM

I often explain to people out here in Cali that technically Scar is, but FSU is way more important and a bigger game every year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I didn't know they ever weren't our rival?

Feb 3, 2017, 5:26 PM

Their games have been some of the loudest games I've ever been to.

Feb 3, 2017, 5:30 PM

Thing is that FSU already has the Florida Gators as their rival. Same with GT and UGA. We're stuck with the Coots.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2017, 6:29 PM

Coots always have been and always will be our rival. As it should be. Rivalry has nothing to with winning, but everything to do with pure hatred and the chance of an upset. What's more fun than beating the coots 56-7 and bringing home the NC!!!

Beating FSU to get there.***

Feb 3, 2017, 8:15 PM

null

Feb 3, 2017, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Can we please just establish FSU as our rival? ]

The chicken's inferiority complex is only going to get worse by means of the following circumstances:

A. Clemson should win the next two games at least which thus equals their longest streak and I would not be surprised if we won seven which would match our streak from the 1930s.

B. UGa., UF and UT all had superior recruiting so their SEC schedule won't remain slack much longer. Even Kentucky has a three game streak!

Usuck fans got a taste of success under OBC and thought it would last, but he left their program in a downward spiral and they are facing years to rebound.

Go Tigers!

Didn't you hear...Lousyville wants to be our rival....

Feb 3, 2017, 7:08 PM

...nothing more than a BC has been.

Re: Didn't you hear...Lousyville wants to be our rival....

Feb 3, 2017, 10:45 AM

BC is a trophy game. All we get for beating Loserville is hearing them whine even more.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic