Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Finebaum very impressed with Coots after spring game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 5,872

Finebaum very impressed with Coots after spring game

Apr 3, 2018, 11:45 AM

SEC Network analyst Paul Finebaum is getting out in front of this before too many other talking heads join the club — South Carolina will be good next season.

Coming off a nine-win campaign during Will Muschamp's second season, the Gamecocks have fewer questions than most in the SEC East behind Georgia and should challenge for the top spot in a division featuring new coaching regimes starting over at Florida and Tennessee.

Finebaum talked South Carolina and the Gamecocks' potential this season during Monday's weekly appearance on WJOX-FM.

“I really like this team,” Finebaum said. “Muschamp is a different coach at South Carolina than he was at Florida. He just doesn’t seem to be carrying all of the burden of that position. And Florida is a very difficult job. He seems loose."

South Carolina's Week 2 showdown vs. Georgia at Williams-Brice Stadium may reveal the early frontrunner in the East and could be tricky for the preseason Top 5 Bulldogs, Finebaum says.

“And listen, I realize it’s April 2nd and this is no time to start suggesting ‘Hey, watch out for this game,’ though we’ll be doing it soon enough," Finebaum said. "I still think Georgia fans will be concerned when they head to South Carolina on the second Saturday of the season. Georgia will be a favorite, but that’s a dangerous game. And I think if you look at South Carolina’s schedule, they have some real opportunities for another nine win season and if they turned a game, possibly 10.

"I don’t see them winning against Clemson, and Georgia is probably the second-most difficult game of the year. By the way, that says a lot about your schedule when Georgia is not your most difficult game.”

Finebaum joined several national analysts in believing the Gamecocks are the second-best team in the East with a shot at dethroning the defending SEC champions this season after surpassing expectations in 2017. With a philosophical switch to a hurry-up mindset and eight starters back on offense including Deebo Samuel and Jake Bentley, South Carolina holds one of the league's most talented units.

"I caught some of the (spring) game and (it's) no surprise that Jake Bentley is one of the best quarterbacks in the SEC," Finebaum said.

Most publications have slotted the Gamecocks inside the Top 25 to begin the season, including 247Sports, which mentioned South Carolina's "window" in a division short on quality teams outside of Kirby Smart's Bulldogs.

https://247sports.com/Bolt/South-Carolina-Gamecocks-Football-Paul-Finebaum-impressed-after-spring-game-116965849

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was the most pitiful 9 wins by a team in history, maybe

Apr 3, 2018, 11:48 AM

ever, while they lost to every team that had a pulse.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And how the he77 NC St. blew that one still boggles my mind!***

Apr 3, 2018, 3:02 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL4Heisman

A miracle beat La. Tech, a just inexplicable win over State,

Apr 3, 2018, 9:16 PM [ in reply to That was the most pitiful 9 wins by a team in history, maybe ]

and an IMPLOSION by the Pillow Fighting Harbaughs allowed them to win 9 games. They easily , VERY EASILY could have been 6-7. And this year, they could be a worse team and still win 9 with that pissant schedule. JMHO.

Thats because its the only SEC Spring Game to discuss***

Apr 3, 2018, 11:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Yes. Please make their heads swell up.

Apr 3, 2018, 11:52 AM

As the poster above said they may be the worst nine win team P5 history. They play NOBODY outside of Clemson and Georgia. Have all these talking heads forgotten that the coots lost to KY and needed a last second miracle to beat LaTech? SMH

And Obi I’m giving you a TU because I enjoyed the laugh not because I agree with Finebaum and his SEC fluff piece.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Finebaum very impressed with Coots after spring game

Apr 3, 2018, 12:00 PM

They’re getting setup for a season full of disappointment. Mullen and Pruitt will make UF and UT respectable and Kirby just has so much talent, and we all know what will happen the Saturday after thanksgiving. Also they have that little Ky issue they need to figure out. This is going to be to watch. Muschamp overturned a refs holding call in his first spring game to put up a TD on the board, what’s to say he didn’t try to manufacture things this time around.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Apr 3, 2018, 12:19 PM

Their offense was great in last year’s spring game too. It was a real high scoring affair. Turns out that they had one of the worst offenses in the nation last year and their “good” defensive stats from last year were propped up big time by a pathetic schedule. I doubt this year will be any different. Wash, rinse, spin and repeat.

I love it...

Apr 3, 2018, 12:06 PM

when these clowns set themselves up for even more disappointment and failure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Finebaum

Apr 3, 2018, 12:14 PM

Just doesn't quite get it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL***

Apr 3, 2018, 12:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: Finebaum

Apr 3, 2018, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Finebaum ]

Hey Paul ......

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2018, 12:20 PM

That's just another rooster crowing before dawn. When the sun comes up and everybody goes to work at a real job, we'll see how the Baby Chicks respond.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least it will look good on the schedule to have beaten a

Apr 3, 2018, 12:26 PM

9 win SEC team.

Apr 3, 2018, 12:27 PM

Please rank them high. It looks good for our playoff resume when we destroy them...??????

Last night on SC SportsTalk former Newberry College coach

Apr 3, 2018, 12:35 PM

Zach Willis critiqued their Spring game. He said the entire scrimmage was scripted and that he thought the defense could have had about 20 QB pressures/sacks if they had not peeled off away from forehead on the rush, as instructed. He was not impressed with the offense by any means. And he had no confidence in the defense because the o-line was so bad.

^^ Those WiLLiS boys are astute!

Apr 3, 2018, 12:39 PM

LBBill is a Willis! Ha...

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2018, 12:38 PM

SCar will be challenged in every game they play this year. Do they have potential to be #2 in the East? Yea maybe, but a whole lot of havoc would have to take place.

SCar non conference games include of Coastal Carolina, Marshall, Chattanooga, and of course the big date in late November in Death Valley. Marshall is the sleeper here. SCar and Marshall will go at it the week after they face the dawgs. The Herd have had several teams in recent years that have been really successful and could potentially upset SCar.

Now to Finebaum’s opinion of finishing 2nd in the East with 9-10 wins is almost impossible. SCar will pull the usual heart racing win out at Vandy, but will struggle going to Lexington facing a Kentucky team they haven’t beat in a good while. They will also host a Jimbo Fisher A&M team that has the potential to be a sleeper in the West. This along with the matchup against Jeremy Pruitt’s new and improved Vols and a road trip to the Swamp could potentially be the swing of their season.

I think SCar finds at most 8 wins in 2018 and finish in a mix of a very weak SEC East. However, with tiebreakers and that sort of thing, SCar could potentially sit 2nd or 3rd based off of the fact that Tennessee and Florida face some of the powerhouses of the West and will have a loss or two in their record from that.

With that being said, the only game I am worried about is the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Dabo and Co. will continue to show their dominance in a big win in Death Valley before heading to Charlotte for another ACC title. Go Tigers!!!!

Message was edited by: ClintonTiger88®

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2018, 12:56 PM

Get ready to hear non-stop about how SC is a threat in the SEC. Guys bloviating this crap will forget that Tennessee and Florida, who were complete dumpster fires, took SC to the limit last year. They'll forget that it took a last second miracle pass and catch to set up a winning field goal against LA Tech. They'll forget how SC laid an egg in the home SEC opener "blackout" vs Kentucky. They'll forget that other than passing yards, which UGA didn't need, the Dawgs dominated the Coots last year. They'll somehow think that SC holding Clemson to under 50 points is an indication SC is ready to be big time.

Stopped reading at "Finebaum ..."***

Apr 3, 2018, 12:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I guess we know who the one 'expert' was that P&C mentioned***

Apr 3, 2018, 1:06 PM

Clemson

Re: I guess we know who the one 'expert' was that P&C mentioned***

Apr 3, 2018, 1:32 PM

Ehhhhhhh.......sorry, I remember last year when ol’ fivehead was one of the best QB’s in the country and a Heisman hopeful........then the season started. I don’t buy any of it.

FYI, he will say this after every SEC spring game******

Apr 3, 2018, 1:36 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One liked quote: "I don’t see them winning against Clemson,

Apr 3, 2018, 1:56 PM

"I don’t see them winning against Clemson, and Georgia is probably the second-most difficult game of the year. By the way, that says a lot about your schedule when Georgia is not your most difficult game.”

FinebaumNet, FGFNet, TigerNet - all one and the same***

Apr 3, 2018, 2:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WHAT A JOKE

Apr 3, 2018, 2:36 PM

Any team looks good against them, even them. 50% nearly completion rating overall is a joke especially against that defense. Creating tempo makes Jake better muscoot said, well 15-25 isn't exactly a bragging matter as to being "better"

Apr 3, 2018, 2:56 PM

Coke is a helluva drug...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2018, 7:06 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2018, 3:10 PM

I could see them finishing second in the SEC East...but that's definitely much more of an indicator that the SEC East is a terrible division rather than them actually being a good team.

Coots SSUUCCCKK

Apr 3, 2018, 6:36 PM

Definitely the worst 9-win Power 5 team to win a noom bowl game in January against the Big Ten in Florida Losers!

Apr 4, 2018, 7:07 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love this quote

Apr 4, 2018, 7:20 AM

"I caught some of the (spring) game and (it's) no surprise that Jake Bentley is one of the best quarterbacks in the SEC," Finebaum said.

Does he really believe that? IF it were really true that is just sad.

Re: I love this quote

Apr 4, 2018, 9:43 AM

It's ridiculous to speculate on how good any player is during a glorified practice. For some perspective, here is a lists of SEC QB's with higher ratings than Bentley: Drew Lock, Jarrett Stidham, Kyle Shurmur, Jake Fromm, Danny Etling, Shea Patterson, Jalen Hurts, Nick Starkel, Jordan Ta'amu, Austin Allen, and Tua Tagovailoa. Bentley threw for more yards than all but Lock, Stidham, and Shurmur because SC had absolutely no running game. They finished 12th in the SEC in rushing.

Replies: 32
| visibility 5,872
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic