Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
All Aboard
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 1

All Aboard

Sep 11, 2017, 8:46 PM

Continued ---

The Conductor shouted, "All Aboard", the Fireman pulled the cord and sounded two toots from the steam whistle as if to say "OK", the Engineer eased the throttle back, black smoke belched from the coal burning locomotive and we eased off onto the main line of the AB&C RR. The destination for those in the rear coach was Fort McPherson in Atlanta, GA.

Inside the coach were about 35 men waving and shouting goodbyes to family members and friends who had come to see them off to war. We slowly left the Waycross depot and just a short distance away we turned North as we slowly picked up speed and left the environs of Waycross.

The railroad tracks were not maintained for high speed travel so we began to rock back and forth as we reached a speed of about 30 -35 MPH. Light fixtures hung from the middle of the coach and they swayed with the coach. Our coach would have been considered up to date had we been traveling during WW1. I could never figure out if the swaying would lull us to sleep or keep us awake.

It was now time to check on the men to see if everyone was OK. First, I checked the three moonshiners and they were feeling no pain. I cautioned them not to have any alcoholic beverage with them when we arrived in Atlanta. They assured me it would all be gone before we got to Atlanta, and it was. Again they offered me a share of their liquid beverage but again I had to decline their hospitality.

Air conditioning was not yet available on many passenger trains. Being a warm day, all windows were open, and smoke and cinders from the locomotive's smoke stack was coming into our coach. Our options were to close the windows and prevent the smoke and ciders from coming in and endure the heat or live with the smoke and cinders. The smoke and cilinders was the overwhelming choice.

Just a short time later, we arrived at our first stop. As soon as the conductor opened the door, everyone except the three moonshiners, took off in every direction. We were in the middle of the town surrounded by the local businesses. When it was time for the train to depart, about one half of the men had returned to the coach. I sent these men out to round up the other guys and we finally got all the men aboard.

After we were underway, the Conductor came back to me and said we needed to have all the men back on time or we would be running way behind schedule. Our decision, the Fireman would sound two short toots of the whistle two minutes before departure. I believe the NFL copied their two minute warning.
We announced this decision to all of the men and asked their cooperation. And we got a positive response, I think !!!

(To be continued)

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic