Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
3 Weeks. Mark it down and Remember this Post
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

3 Weeks. Mark it down and Remember this Post

Oct 23, 2013, 11:48 AM

A LOT is going to happen in the Top10 over the next 3 weeks. The next 3 Weeks for Clemson are

@ Maryland
@ Virginia
Bye

If we can take care of business against the above teams, i think we will really like where we stand by the time we play GT and are back in the national spotlight.

Heck, some of the teams in front of us play each other in the next 3 weeks. And we have a chance to do what a lot of good (then) 1 loss teams could not: pick ourselves off the ground and keep grinding after a disappointing early loss (looking at you USuC, LSU, A&M). Look what happened last week alone, those teams would be Top 10 today easily.

3 weeks. It starts Saturday. Because how we play against Maryland will set the tone for the rest of the season, good or bad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Makes you wish this was the year of the play offs

Oct 23, 2013, 11:49 AM

because we would have a very strong chance of getting to #4 by the end of the season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

not really.....that's what makes college football great.....

Oct 23, 2013, 11:54 AM

we had our chance...........EVERY GAME MATTERS

that being said i don't mind a 4 team playoff.........it's the 8 and 16 team playoff that i'm fully against

and i wouldn't complain if we made it in w/ a four team playoff.........i just see it as we had our chance and we didn't capitalize on it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm with you but whenever Dabo is making excuses saying

Oct 23, 2013, 11:57 AM

we can lose the game and it won't be the end of the season AND then turning around and saying he's against the 4-man playoff, it irks me.

Yes, every game matters, and even if there was a 4 or 8 team playoff, every game still matters just as much.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no b/c teams get mulligans w/ a playoff........

Oct 23, 2013, 12:01 PM

we're out of it this year

had this been "next year" we'd still be in it

we still have a ton to play for........AS LONG AS WE WIN OUT!!!********** we can't lose another regular season game or it's a failed season

as for the playoffs.......i just don't think for example FSU has to prove anything more by having to beat CLEMSON again if there were a playoff.........they won, they took care of business we didn't.........they shouldn't HAVE to do it again

That's how championships work. Look at the 2007 Patriots.***

Oct 23, 2013, 12:05 PM

that's why i don't care about the NFL***

Oct 23, 2013, 12:05 PM

but for Division 1 college football....

Oct 23, 2013, 12:10 PM

that is how every other collegiate championship at every level and in every sport is determined.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

It is, to be fair, something of a different animal

Oct 23, 2013, 12:12 PM

College football definitely places a premium on every game due to the lower number of games. I think whatever system we put into place should, through seeding or some other method, make winning every game a huge advantage. Some method that would take out the "last game didn't matter" mindset.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

college football is entertainingly different from any other

Oct 23, 2013, 12:17 PM [ in reply to but for Division 1 college football.... ]

sport or level of sport

I assume you mean Division 1 FBS college football....

Oct 23, 2013, 12:23 PM

since all of the other divisions in college football determine its champion via a tournament format.

yes that's what i mean..don't care for FCS football either***

Oct 23, 2013, 12:28 PM

Re: yes that's what i mean..don't care for FCS football either***

Oct 23, 2013, 4:31 PM

Pheebo, so in 2011 LSU was the real Champion?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's how championships work. Look at the 2007 Patriots.***

Nov 4, 2013, 9:55 AM [ in reply to That's how championships work. Look at the 2007 Patriots.*** ]

Look at AL a couple of years ago. Their Conf. CH game was a do-over game vs. LSU, and winning it it got them to the NC game which they handled.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm fine with that way of thinking

Oct 23, 2013, 12:10 PM [ in reply to no b/c teams get mulligans w/ a playoff........ ]

I personally like the idea of playoffs (tied to winning your conference) as it gives every team a path to the title, win your conference, go to the playoffs.

I also understand the argument against a playoff, but to me the problems are:
1) No way to handle more than 2 undefeated teams
2) Disparity of competition means that an undefeated team may not play anyone near the caliber of the teams a l loss team has played. That, in itself, is subjective, and can be resolved with an easy iron-clad "win your conference" and advance criteria.

In truth, we'd probably still be out of it at this point, but it makes more sense to me than the subjective standards.

like i've said.....i'm fine w/ a 4team playoff.........

Oct 23, 2013, 12:27 PM

that takes care of your "more than 2 undefeated teams" deal..........which i might add is very rare to begin with

as for the competition.......i still think it's fairly simple to figure that out.........let's say louisville hadn't already lost and we end the season w/ 5 undefeated teams (which wouldn't happen) in a 4 team playoff it's easy to weed out louisville........and that's fair b/c they played nobodys.........even more nobodys than Ohio State

i just hope they stop at 4 teams, but they probably won't

Re: I'm with you but whenever Dabo is making excuses saying

Oct 23, 2013, 12:25 PM [ in reply to I'm with you but whenever Dabo is making excuses saying ]

I haven't heard any excuses coming out of Dabo's mouth. I've heard a sunshine view that can certainly be argued against, but he hasn't said we lost because of anything other than preparation and execution. Saying they're better in some spots and they're deeper in some spots isn't an excuse; it's reality. Saying that we're got more games to play isn't an excuse either. He needs to get the team moving forward and looks to me to be doing exactly that.

It was one game and the sooner we move on, the better.

So you're not one of those who believes....

Oct 23, 2013, 12:08 PM [ in reply to not really.....that's what makes college football great..... ]

that a true playoff format of 8 to 16 teams for determining the Division 1 college football National Champion (like every other collegiate sport in this country) would make college football even better?

Re: So you're not one of those who believes....

Oct 23, 2013, 12:15 PM

Oh i'll watch it regardless, but i don't like it for a few reasons

#1 I think it's making it to commercialized. It will definitely help the TV aspect of college football, but the atomosphere at those games won't be indicative of what college football feels like.......Teams like Ohio State or Alabama wouldn't have a problem going to 2-4 games around the country regardless of location b/c of how large and spread out their fanbase is..............let's take for example 2011 after the regular season I talked to NUMEROUS clemson fans/friends who were debating on whether to go to the ACCCG OR, OR the bowl game b/c MOST couldn't go to BOTH for various reasons, probably mostly having to do w/ job or monetary feasibility for them...........it'll be the same or worse if an 8-16 team playoff is introduced.....it will be BIG sponsors and commercialized entertainment with watered down fans IMO

#2 I just don't think an undefeated Alabama or FSU, etc...has nothing more they need to prove to play for a national title

that's my opinion and i'm fine w/ being in the minority here.

It needs to be done like the FCS where the playoff

Oct 23, 2013, 12:16 PM

portion is at the home of the higher seeded team. Same with the PAC-12 championship I believe.

even then......say you're a mid-lower seed..........

Oct 23, 2013, 12:21 PM

the general fan can't afford to travel to Ohio State............we win.............then gotta go to Texas/FSU/etc.....

i'd say most fans that travel to away games during the regular season only pick one.......maybe two well in advance to plan for the season

it's not feasible for the "joe fan" to pick up and go every week in december-January to various college football games across the region/USA.

Then be the higher seed and have the advantage...

Oct 23, 2013, 12:25 PM

I've gone to @NCSU, @Syracuse, & will be going to @UVA, and I am very much a joe fan.

that's great...but that's more of an "above average joe" fan

Oct 23, 2013, 12:33 PM

not too many diehard fans have that fortune of going to that many away games........or like BIGCU said HOME GAMES

and i'm not talking just about money...........schedule, work, family, etc...etc...etc...

if you have that ability go for it

I would agree that the average fan....

Oct 23, 2013, 12:40 PM

is being priced right out of the market. Attending seven home games each year is expensive, particularly if you pay the booster organization, buy season tickets and tailgate, let alone the added expense of trveling to one or more away games annually.

Heck...for that matter....

Oct 23, 2013, 12:28 PM [ in reply to even then......say you're a mid-lower seed.......... ]

I'm not sure it's feasible for the "joe fan" to go to seven home games every year.

At least until you get to the final eight teams....

Oct 23, 2013, 12:26 PM [ in reply to It needs to be done like the FCS where the playoff ]

and then you could have those games hosted by the Orange, Sugar, Fiesta and Rose Bowls.

Huh? The system now with the bowls is commercialized and

Oct 23, 2013, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: So you're not one of those who believes.... ]

is too influenced by money and match ups. A playoff takes all of that out of it and makes it about the best teams playing for the title each year.

Yep...Tigers had their shot last Sat...they blew it...

Oct 23, 2013, 12:21 PM [ in reply to not really.....that's what makes college football great..... ]

...BIG TIME.

It is really hard to imagine a more ideal schedule setup, player roster, crowd, coaching...the stars were lined up. It was a PERFECT STORM. A birth in the BCS Championship was RIGHT THERE FOR THE TAKING, and they BLEW IT...JUST BLEW IT.

If Dabo really has this program on an annual path that puts Clemson into championship contention within the next 3 years again, then there will be no denying that he is the right man for Clemson for a long time to come.

If this "lining up of the stars" that occurred last Saturday is like the re-appearance of Halley's Comet, few and far between, then I guess I'll be dead before I experience the opportunity of what could have been last Saturday evening in DV.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Tigers had their shot last Sat...THEY blew it...

Oct 23, 2013, 12:31 PM

I usually prefer to use "WE" in this case as in We blew it. Not to be picky but we are all in this together. In other games, when the result was a victory, did you say "we won"?

Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No...I try to not use the term "WE"...years ago when...

Oct 23, 2013, 2:05 PM

...I was living in Atlanta, I used to listen to WSB sometimes in the evening. There was a UGA-affiliated talk show host that used to really get miffed when callers would use the term "WE" as if they were associated or actually on the team.

I've always felt similarly. I am NOT on the team. I am not a coach. I'm an alumni and fan.

I credit both victories and losses to Clemson Football team and staff, not me.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

You blew it with a 69% Tiger Pulse, stinky ##### coot***

Oct 23, 2013, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Yep...Tigers had their shot last Sat...they blew it... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

16 is too many 8 would be perfect IMO***

Oct 23, 2013, 2:08 PM [ in reply to not really.....that's what makes college football great..... ]

Definitely, still lots to play for***

Oct 23, 2013, 11:53 AM

Yes there is. And Saturday goes a long way in

Oct 23, 2013, 12:30 PM

determining our mind set for the rest of the year

Best Is The Standard

Well said!***

Oct 23, 2013, 12:02 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, lot's to play for. But I chose to ignore "what ifs"

Oct 23, 2013, 12:42 PM

for now. There is no playoff, so thinking about doesn't change a thing for this season. Just think about winning.

Best possible outcome for me to think this team - coaches and players alike - is maturing is for us to beat the last 4 SEC opponents. LSU and UGA, done. SCar - MUST win. And hopefully we get another SEC bowl opponent. An Athalon projection was posted by TigerNet here suggesting Mizzou. Fine. Just bring on another SEC team. It's one of the few ways I think we can prove to the chattering sports world that the horrible FSU beatdown was a fluke. We can hang with the SEC. We just screwed up royally in the one.

Man, i would love to go to the Sugar Bowl***

Oct 23, 2013, 4:24 PM

Best Is The Standard

ughhhh ... GT ... why does it always have to be GT?***

Oct 23, 2013, 12:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thx for your positiveness...and MD & VA sure look white meat

Oct 23, 2013, 2:07 PM

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic