Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2017 Clemson QBs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 2,806

2017 Clemson QBs

Jul 9, 2017, 5:30 PM

I know there's been debate on whether KB will remain as the starter and whether ZC or HJ will be 2nd string. Im looking at how our offense has been run with Tahj and Deshaun when compared to the skills of these current QBs. Its an interesting dilemma for the OCs. KB is excellent at running and ok at passing. ZC is really good at running and really good at passing. HJ is ok at running and excellent at passing.

I have no inside information but Im thinking we shouldnt count out ZC. The ability to effectively run AND pass is the key to running our offense. We havent seen him take a college snap but based on practice reports he seems to have a more balanced package. The key is who is making the most strides right now. I'd love to see what these QBs are doing to prepare for fall camp and get an edge over their competition.

Whoever does become the starter it needs to happen sooner rather than later. 1st teams reps are at a premium with the limitations on practice time. This QB will probably determine the outcome with Auburn in week 2 as well as key September conference games with LOU and VT.

GO TIGERS!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Successful Candidate will win out on Field Presence and

Jul 9, 2017, 5:40 PM

Knowledge of the Offense. They all have the talent to do the job.

Hunter Johnson may be better than OK at running.

Jul 9, 2017, 6:04 PM

He was a track star in high school. He was All-State in the 4x400 relay and ran the 1600 relay as well which was ranked #1 in the state. If you've ever seen his video you know he can move. I think Cooper is generally regarded as a drop-back pocket passer, but he looked plenty mobile to me in the spring. I really don't see that being a differentiating factor.

Whoever wins the job will have to know the offense, limit mistakes, and be able to make the downfield throws (which opens everything up).

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Hunter Johnson may be better than OK at running.

Jul 9, 2017, 6:12 PM

Smiling Tiger hit it on the nose. It will all come down to knowledge of the system and their overall adaptability. Each QB has a skill set that could work well on any given day, but it's in/out knowledge of the system that will build confidence and improvisation during broken plays; something that DW displayed often. I'm hoping Dabo and Co. locks in on the best bet by the end of Fall camp and goes all in.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2017, 6:20 PM

> Smiling Tiger hit it on the nose. It will all come
> down to knowledge of the system and their overall
> adaptability. Each QB has a skill set that could work
> well on any given day, but it's in/out knowledge of
> the system that will build confidence and
> improvisation during broken plays; something that DW
> displayed often. I'm hoping Dabo and Co. locks in on
> the best bet by the end of Fall camp and goes all in.

I am actually not sure that is true.

Not sure you can run the full playbook with KB unless he improves his throwing.
Not sure ZC actually runs structured plays or if he's just schoolyarding it right now.
You definitely can't run the read-option stuff with Tucker Israel though he can spin it.

Think HJ probably wins the job in the end because he's the only 1-for-1 replacement for Deshaun we have.

Agreed. Our QB has got to be able to get the ball downfield

Jul 9, 2017, 6:39 PM

with accuracy. If KB can do that - look out! He has yet to demonstrate the ability to do that. If KB gets the start, defenses will make him throw, and his PT will depend his effectiveness there. I believe that he is such a dangerous runner, that he won't have to be a DW through the air, but at least be able to hit open receivers with relative ease.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jul 9, 2017, 8:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson may be better than OK at running. ]

I agree as well,but another thought on this subject will be who can put a bad play,or int,or loss sack,in the back of there mind and don't dwell and lose focus,and let the wheels fall off,and cost us a game.that was one of many talents DW,had.have bad play,and put it behind him and know there's plays to be made to make up for that one bad play.to me this,and all other skills,and respect in the huddle will be key to whose are starting QB.but to be honest with the games,and time that Bryant has had,I just don't see him being are QB,he can run there's no doubt about that,but to throw down field,or on the run,and to read different def,and be reliable.just don't think he has the mind skills for all that,and we will need a QB,who can do all these,and not just look to run cause your fast,and think no WR,is open all time,this just my opion,and I hope for his sake that I'm wrong,but my gut feeling is he's just a good QB,that needs to be in a different system,and runs a offn,that runs more than throws,somewhere like Georgia Tech in how they play there QB,I wouldn't want him to play against us,by being GT,QB but that system I think suits him more,or that style...

Cooper is a better replacement and has outplayed HJ

Jul 9, 2017, 11:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson may be better than OK at running. ]

thus far. My concerns about HJ have always been his accuracy. He was inaccurate and interception prone in HS. I didn't see any improvement in that area during the spring game, so hopefully he's been working on it. Start KB, he can be an effective QB for us. If he doesn't work out, go to ZC.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2017, 8:07 PM [ in reply to Hunter Johnson may be better than OK at running. ]

Exactly Smiling Tiger!

HJ ran a laser time of 4.73

Jul 10, 2017, 12:01 AM [ in reply to Hunter Johnson may be better than OK at running. ]

Nm

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: HJ ran a laser time of 4.73

Jul 10, 2017, 12:13 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=19644984

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=19644001

- H. L. Mencken

Re: HJ ran a laser time of 4.73

Jul 10, 2017, 12:36 AM

I have suggested earlier this year that I thought Johnson would get playing time this year. How/when is TBD. A lot can factor in. Kelly's success, Hunter's development & knowledge of the offense. However I do know one thing is for sure. You don't have a kid like that on campus, 5 star and earned it all the way ( statistical & physical tools) and him not be throwing the rock for you at some point in the season.

I know we all have differing opinions about Z. Coop, Tucker, Chase & Kelley. As far as Protégés under Watson, Z. Coop and Bryant have the advantage, and the advantage of being in the system. I like Cooper's arm, and Kelly's speed. Can Kelly or Coop go through all the reads? None have played 4 quarters yet. So, we'll see in the Fall. However, I will just say that Johnson will need to prove himself quickly before T. Law comes. It wouldn't look bad for HJ to have some wins under his belt and maybe some big ones. The rest of the QB's will either transfer or backup, or maybe change position. It's been done before. Not saying Kelly or Coop isn't capable of taking us to the promise land if Dabo sees fit and it works, but HJ is waiting in the shadows for his shot. When he get's it, look out.

Message was edited by: ATech®

Re: 2017 Clemson QBs

Jul 9, 2017, 6:09 PM

Kelly Bryant is an elite, Cam Newton-level runner and athlete, the best athlete by a mile of the QB's. He's a C- passer (at best) and will have to improve that if he wants to keep the job because a QB at WRU has to keep the WR's fed. I love his toughness and mentality, and his physical toolset is the best we've ever had at Clemson. I question if he processes information well. You still see him double-clutch and hesitate and deliver late because he doesn't seem to always trust what his eyes are telling him.

Zerrick Cooper has an elite, extraordinary arm - I would say even better than Deshaun Watson's. He throws an absolute laser. He also scrambles pretty well, not as well as Kelly Bryant but he's about the same class of athlete as Deshaun Watson was, a B+ level runner/scrambler who can extend plays with his feet and pick up third downs with them. The problem with him seems to be his decision-making. He's not indecisive the way Bryant is...he sees it, he spins it. Instantly. But how's he getting there? Is he actually reading a coverage or just eyeballing and shooting, seat-of-the-pants style? How well does he actually know the playbook? How well does he run that RPO stuff that is so integral to our offense? Is he comfortable with the mesh points and ball-handling in the read option? (In other words, is he an actual student of the game?) One thing I kept seeing from him is he puts a LOT of balls in danger.

Hunter Johnson is a very, very good natural passer. He's pretty close to having the natural arm strength of a Zerrick Cooper. He's also a slightly better athlete and runner; keep in mind he was running 11-flat splits in the 100m in the eleventh grade, which probably translates to 4.6 or even mid-4.5-type 40-speed, which is a step faster than a Deshaun Watson was. He's fast, whatever, and anybody calling him a "pro-style" QB thinks that means "white guy". You can also watch his head-motion when he's in the pocket and tell he's working a progression, and as mentioned in another post, he's apparently been living in the football complex, watching film and throwing, throwing, and throwing some more.

Yeah, Johnson is very, very athletic

Jul 9, 2017, 7:01 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=19644984

Jul 9, 2017, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Re: 2017 Clemson QBs ]

Kelly Bryant is not on the level of Cam Newton as a runner. That's just nonsense mate. He certainly isn't on his level as a passer, like you said. KB is just a poor mans Cam Newton in every aspect of the game. As a runner and as a passer.

Jul 9, 2017, 8:08 PM

Bryant would be better off at another position. With Lawrence coming in , he will never play qb after that fact.

Jul 9, 2017, 8:38 PM

I saw kb 40 time was like 4.8+. I thought he was quicker than that?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

KB, if not first team, should play frequently as wildcat QB

Jul 9, 2017, 10:02 PM

as his running ability is off the scale!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

surprised at zerrick cooper so far

Jul 9, 2017, 10:55 PM

was expecting jameis-type command in this his basically 2nd yr

would prefer him over the rest... if he doesnt see action by start fall camp, might be best to shop around. hes elite div1 player.

Jul 9, 2017, 11:33 PM

#KellyBryant4Heisman

Go Tigers!

???

Replies: 19
| visibility 2,806
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic