Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2015 recruits avoiding RS's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

2015 recruits avoiding RS's

Jan 24, 2015, 1:24 PM

6 on defense. wilkins and fields are locks. 1 to 2 more of the dt's. 2 de's depending upon injury recoveries. cant see any lbs or dbs other than fields. btw i think it was agreed upon prior to his quick commitment. 7 on offense. cain, mccloud, hyatt and fruhmorgen are locks. williams is a lock as well. the question is whether both geilla and green can develop quick enough.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2015 recruits avoiding RS's

Jan 24, 2015, 1:31 PM

I would bet williams redshirts

Agree***

Jan 25, 2015, 4:05 PM

Jan 25, 2015, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Re: 2015 recruits avoiding RS's ]

Williams definitely redshirts. We have Richard, Leggett, Seckinger, Greenlee, C.Smith also haven't heard much about McCollough, but plenty of TE's in the fold.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2015, 1:32 PM

I don't think anyone is a lock to not redshirt except for Wilkins, RRM3, Cain and one of the QBs. The staff makes a lot of those decisions after Spring as the depth chart starts to shape-up. Then the freshman that didnt EE will be thrown in and all that will be worked out in the fall... Just pointing out that none of that is predetermined. Injuries and other situations happen.

This, plus 2 DE's - Bryant and Ferrell are bothing

Jan 24, 2015, 2:00 PM

coming off of injuries. I definitely think Ferrell RS's considering he is coming off an ACL injury and missed his entire SR season. We have decent depth at both DE positions assuming no injuries and players step up. 1 QB, 1 DT for sure, possibly 2 but doubtful, 1 DE with Huggins being the likely scenario since he's on campus, and probably Cain and McCloud. And I really think Fields RS's depending on injuries in the secondary. MA has one corner and Tankersly has the other with Baker/Johnson/Edmonds as potential backups. We are pretty deep in the secondary with several players that can play multiple positions.

Re: This, plus 2 DE's - Bryant and Ferrell are bothing

Jan 25, 2015, 4:26 PM

Fields will be too talented to keep off the field. He will questionably be the fastest player on the field with incredible cover skills. I think he is a quicker version of MA, that likes to jam the receiver at the line and play on an island. He could be a HUGE asset to our secondary with just a little experience. He will play nonetheless...how much is yet to be known.

Kids with Fields' kind of talent coming really have no

Jan 25, 2015, 5:25 PM

reason to redshirt other than injury or recovery from. We'll be fortunate to have him for four years as it is regardless of whether he sits a season or not.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree, no reason to redshirt if you're a 4/5 star...

Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 PM

...and can contribute immediately. Remember, they can leave for the NFL "3 years out of high school". So I would rather get some production that first year if, and only if, they are ready physically and mentally to make a meaningful impact.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Dood....MA is really freakin fast

Jan 25, 2015, 5:31 PM [ in reply to Re: This, plus 2 DE's - Bryant and Ferrell are bothing ]

Fields is very talented and fast, and will have a great career. But I think you are slightly overestimating him. Mac was a bona-fide stud out of hs

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dood....MA is really freakin fast

Jan 25, 2015, 6:16 PM

I live in Charlotte area and scout for a national HS recruiting service. I have stated on here before he is athletically gifted but he is a big fish in a little pond. I see him more like a Travis Blanks freshman year and not a Mac Alexander who sat out a year.

Re: Dood....MA is really freakin fast

Jan 25, 2015, 6:31 PM

I see him more like a Travis Blanks
> freshman year

So, Fields will be a 2nd team all-american? I could see that, too.

http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Blanks-named-Second-Team-Freshman-All-American-8749

and not a Mac Alexander who sat out a
> year........ due to injury.

Big fish in a lil pond, huh? Makes sense now why a professional recruiting analyst who covers the coots, tabbed him as the best player that committed to their '15 class filled with minnows.

Was also under the impression that 4A is the 2nd largest class of hs football in NC. Is it not?***

Jan 25, 2015, 6:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Dood....MA is really freakin fast ]

Williams has already been told he is RS'ing

Jan 24, 2015, 1:52 PM

and thats why he chose not to enroll early... Had he been coming in competing for a spot he would have enrolled early..

Jan 25, 2015, 2:56 PM

> 6 on defense. wilkins and fields are locks. 1 to 2
> more of the dt's. 2 de's depending upon injury
> recoveries. cant see any lbs or dbs other than
> fields. btw i think it was agreed upon prior to his
> quick commitment.
>
> 7
> 7
> 7 on
> 7 on
> 7 on offense.
> 7 on offense. cain,
> 7 on offense. cain, mccloud, hyatt and
> and fruhmorgen are locks. williams is a lock as
> well. the question is whether both geilla and green
> can develop quick enough.

Defense, I agree on Wilkins and Fields. Huggins may get a LONG look because he's an early enrollee and we just graduated two strongside ends. I disagree on LB - Chad Smith may be too durn good to just sit and we lost Steward and Anthony and we need replacement depth in a hurry and I have some doubts we'll have Smith for 5 years anyhow. I think he plays, probably about as much as Boulware did this past year, which is a good bit. That's what - 4?

Offense, obviously, we are not going to redshirt McCloud or Cain. I think 3 of the 4 OL beat redshirts - Hyatt, Fruhmogen, Green...and, as you pointed out, one of the freshman QB's is going to have to play, probably Israel. So I'm seeing 6 on O. Garrett Williams would have a better chance with the losses of Cooper (and probably JJ McCullough), and Seckinger returning from ACL surgery...but Milan Richard is a very good player who redshirted and will be ready behind (or maybe ahead of) Leggett this next season. So I see 6.

So I do see as many as 10 guys not redshirting. Quite a lot - and the thing is, except for our backup QB (which is worrisome), and two spots on the OL - notably one of the guard spots and right tackle - these are not "emergency" situations where a too-green player is getting pressed into service to sink or swim because of lack of depth...these are guys who can indeed flat-out play.

Yikes!

Jan 25, 2015, 4:08 PM

3 fr. OL playing this yr?

hahaha...highly doubt that.

How bout.."0"

Re: Yikes!

Jan 25, 2015, 5:08 PM

> 3 fr. OL playing this yr?
>
>
> hahaha...highly doubt that.
>
>
>
> How bout.."0"
>
> #21

2014 snap counts:

LT: Battle - 827
OG: Crowder - 203
OL: Norton (pushed around for) - 737
OG: McClain - 233
C: Guillermo - 207
OT: Gore - (Kalon Davis had to make the switch from guard bc he didn't pan out, causing the Norton problem) 237
OL: Morris - 59

Those with 250 snaps or less average out to less than 20 snaps per game. Not a lot of experience, seeing as though most of those were during garbage time.

Out of Falcinelli, Morris and Hearn... apparently Hearn has the most likely chance to make an impact (not really saying much).

Three spots are locked up with Battle, Crowder and Guillermo. The other two will absolutely be up for grabs.

So:

LT = Battle/Fruh/Falc
LG = Hearn/Fruh/Norton/Green
C = Guillermo/Norton
RG = Crowder/Green/McClain
RT = Hyatt or Fruh/Gore/Morris

There's your "potential" 3 True Freshman impact players.

Hyatt and Fruh battle it out for RT, loser could move to Guard based solely on talent and agility combined with strength and wit.

Re: Yikes!

Jan 25, 2015, 6:55 PM [ in reply to Yikes! ]

> 3 fr. OL playing this yr?
>
>
> hahaha...highly doubt that.
>
>
>
> How bout.."0"
>
> #21

They're going to have to. Our current OL has two guys who can start (Battle, Guillermo), and another who maybe can (Crowder). After that it's a whole lotta nothin'...the talent level at the OL, for whatever reason, just isn't there. Maybe one of the redshirt freshmen comes in and starts but I think the true freshmen beat them out because this year's group is just that good...and they all enrolled early.

We need a starter at one of the guard spots and right tackle, and we need depth for every position on the line. Like I said...they're going to have to start freshmen...and play them a lot.

Jan 25, 2015, 3:28 PM

Offense: (5)
- Obvious - 1 QB, Cain, Ray Ray
- I think only 1 OL will play this season unless ere is an injury
- I think Williams plays unless he chooses to redshirt. Who knows how Seckinger is healing up and highly probable we lose JJ. If Williams shows he can come in and learn the offense and block fairly well, he could contribute right away.

Defense: (5-6)
- Obvious - Wilkins
- Huggins or Bryant, maybe even both
- Don't see any more interior guys getting on the field this year.
- I think Firlds definitely avoids a redshirt. He didn't come to watch and he's already physically gifted enough to contribute in spots.
- Chad Smith will probably avoid redshirt. I don't think he will play much at all on D, but it's not easy to find guys that can make their presence known on special teams. I ink he stars there for us his year before blossoming into a solid LB
- Van Smith may surprise and get on the field as well.

Jan 25, 2015, 3:34 PM

Ive got to believe Cervenka and/or Johnson avoids a redshirt as well. Build the depth on the DL. You see where it got us last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we're fine at DE

Jan 25, 2015, 4:48 PM

its Tackle where we could use 1 more.....although!!!**
Huggins should be a factor.

Lawson/Okendeko/Aiken
Reader/Pagano
Watkins/Wilkins
Dodd/Huggins

Jan 25, 2015, 4:36 PM [ in reply to Re: 2015 recruits avoiding RS's ]

You guys are also overlooking a key early enrollee who I see contributing early on D...Sterling Johnson. He definitely has the size, and watching his film, the potential to be a star on the DL. I think he has the upper hand on Christian Wilkins just because he will have a good 7 month jumpstart on the playbook and conditioning and nutrition. I've heard a lot about Jabril Robinson and Scott Pagano. Maybe the light comes on for them and they can be legitimate backups to Watkins and Reader. If not, Maybe Lawson or Huggy Bear moves inside. There are too many scenarios and variables that could play out, but I think there's plenty of depth with that core.

Jan 25, 2015, 4:46 PM

Anything could happen, but absolutely everything I have seen regarding Wilkins (film, highlights, articles, reviews, etc.) has been elite. Barring injury he will be an immediate member of the 2-deep. Pagano is going to be a very solid player for us starting this year and everyone on the inside raves about Robinson's motor. He is TJ perfect picture of the type of player we have been developing over the years and I expect we will be happy with he player he becomes. I just don't think Sterling aronson will be ready. He may have the playbook in order but physically he will take some time in my opinion. Cervantes will be the same. I trust our recruiting. They will probably miss on 1 of these guys, who knows which one if any. But in my mind if Christian Wilkins stays Healy he will be a name on NFL GM's desk by the end of the year.

Jan 25, 2015, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Re: 2015 recruits avoiding RS's ]

Good post, can't argue those points.

Honestly, I think our defense is going surprise ppl this year.

My ONLYYYY concern for 2015, OL.

Jan 25, 2015, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: 2015 recruits avoiding RS's ]

I think so as well. Johnson is the one that IMO can make an impact.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Disagree

Jan 25, 2015, 4:03 PM

Can't see any OL avoiding a RS, at least right now.

Next is QB....
one of the two will play in IMO; I'm leaning towards Israel.
the other will RS.

At receiver, both Cain and McCloud will see the field...Bell RS.

On the D-line, 1 tackle should play..."probably" Wilkins. But Johnson
will get a look I'm sure.
Only, 1 DE...Huggins.

I can't see any Lbs, but I suppose that's possible.
And I think we're pretty set in the secondary. Fields would just have to
"BLOW UP" to avoid a RS.

So, I will say....
Israel, Cain, McCloud, Wilkins and Huggins are the closest to being.."locks"
as U say.

But hey, just another opinion.

LOL, so you think 13 players avoid redshirts?

Jan 25, 2015, 5:25 PM

Last year we only had what, 3-4 play as true freshmen?

I think Wilkins and 1 (MAYBE 2) other DL and Fields will be the only ones on defense.

Offense will be Israel, Cain, maybe ray ray and maybe hyatt.

The goal is always to redshirt unless absolutely necessary. No sense in wasting a guys year if he's only going to take a couple snaps in garbage time

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2015, 6:49 PM

Fields ,Wilkins, RRM3 , Cain , Fruhmorgen ,Huggins , Hyatt and Israel

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic