Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Seeking realistic observations and analysis
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,943

Seeking realistic observations and analysis

Nov 9, 2014, 9:41 AM

OK perhaps I am starting at wrong place (tnet) but I am curious as to your realistic observations , analysis and expectations for this year's game vs uscjr.

We are seeing slipups and such occurring for teams in top 10, 15 & 20 teams. We will be heavily favored if DW returns to form.

But how good/bad is uscjr? How good can they be for one game... The one game they desperately want to win?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seeking realistic observations and analysis

Nov 9, 2014, 9:44 AM

I think they will get up for us. Probably be a game for 3 quarters.

Nov 9, 2014, 9:49 AM

it all gets down to Florida...if the Gators beat them soundly, which I believe will happen they will have no wind in their sails...to get to 6-6 to go to some bowl that nobody has never hear of and cluckers wont travel to? They will be flat and will get flattened more

Depends on our Offense

Nov 9, 2014, 9:49 AM

At this point, I think we hold them below 17 and maybe even get 7 from our defense. The question remains whether we can score. Even with Watson back, I am not convinced that we can score points. I hope I am wrong.

Having said that, I think we win, but not a run away***

Nov 9, 2014, 9:51 AM

Nov 9, 2014, 10:03 AM

They have a very good offense, and a miserable defense.

Their O is among the Top-25 in most relevant categories, and it's solid...and while Spurrier has incurred the ire of many Gamecock fans for getting pass-happy late when it might have behooved him to just grind the rock, he's still one of the best playcallers in college football. Dylan Thompson is not Connor Shaw in terms of mobility but it speaks volumes that no other Gamecock QB has taken any kind of snaps this year, and that former walk-on Perry Orth is now ahead of former 4-star Connor Mitch on the depth chart.

Their OL is massive, and it's anchored by OT's Corey Robinson (6'8", 345) and Brandon Shell (6'6", 335), who will play Sundays. Those two are impressive, and, obviously, two of the biggest tackles in the game. They have two very good RB's in Mike Davis and Brandon Wilds who are both Sunday guys as well. They've got a very good NFL WR in Pharaoh Cooper, some decent (if smallish) complementary wideouts including the elusive Nick Jones, and some decent pass-catchers at TE, which is significant because Georgia had some success running stick routes at us and you'd best believe Spurrier will as well to try to slow down our pass rush. What's going to hurt them this year is that Thompson is not as mobile as Connor Shaw was.

Defensively...yeesh. It's a mess. Lorenzo "Whammy" Ward took over Ellis Johnson's unit a couple years ago and lived large with guys like Clowney and Quarles on his DL, but once that DL was gone, Whammy's been exposed more than a bit. He tried to shift to a 3-4 this year to cover for his lack of linemen and it's been a yearlong mess...the Gamecocks currently rank around #106 out of 125 FCS teams and they literally do nothing well defensively...they can't stop the run, they can't stop the pass, they can't pressure the QB. Whammy's probably dead man walking even if Spurrier elects to return next year; the chaos on the D is more than a little reminiscent of what we saw in Holtz's last couple years.

We should win this game, unless Spurrier is just well and truly in Dabo's head. If Watson is healthy, the blazing dumpster fire that is the Gamecock D this year won't be able to slow him down. I do think Spurrier has enough on O to move the ball - at times - even against our defense but at some point Thompson's going to be forced to make plays with his feet like Connor Shaw did or they're not going to be able to win a shootout, and while he's thrown well at times, athletically, Thompson is one of the more limited QB's that South Carolina has had.

Short version is: we're better, this year. If healthy. If Stoudt is starting, I'd probably call it much closer to even.

Nice - I agree.***

Nov 9, 2014, 10:11 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2014, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Seeking realistic observations and analysis ]

Thanks for the detailed assessment. I agree with a lot of what you have said. However, throughout your post you point out that D. Thompson is not as mobile or athletic as Shaw (no doubt about that)...but I remember him looking like a superstar athlete running thru our defense a couple of years ago when C. Shaw was hurt. On that night he was faster/quicker than our LB and safeties. I hope that our pass rush is more controlled this year, and doesn't leave those gaping holes for the QB to exploit.

PS: I like defense...defense = effort + passion...as a fan great defense make you want to scream.

They do have massive OT's, but they get beat by quick

Nov 9, 2014, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Seeking realistic observations and analysis ]

DE's often. I expect Vic will get around them and be held often, I hope the refs are watching.

But usuc will plan for that, and give them help.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree for the most part, but I'm not nearly as confident

Nov 9, 2014, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Seeking realistic observations and analysis ]

in our Offense against their terrible defense, even with DW. I think it comes down to who wins the battle between our terrible OL and their terrible DL. DW compensates for a lot of that, for sure, but if he is pressured too much, too often, and if we are unable to get a running game going (both are very real possibilities), or God forbid if DW gets banged up, it will be a long, ugly day.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Nov 9, 2014, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Seeking realistic observations and analysis ]

Good analysis. Thanks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2014, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Seeking realistic observations and analysis ]

Thanks for that

Nov 9, 2014, 10:04 AM

Honestly I see the Tigers coming out on fire against SC. We are due for a better game without 6 turnovers against them. If CS plays we win a close by 7 or so. If DW plays, it could get ugly. Their D is terrible and their offense will not be able to score many points on our d. The matchup is in our favor.

Get ready for the you can only beat us in a down year excuse.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2014, 10:05 AM

Ask again after we play GT. Let's get a fresh look at DW at the helm with our current O line.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SC better than we think - strong offense and erratic defense

Nov 9, 2014, 10:08 AM

Much better players than record indicates.

At home maybe a 5-6 point favorite with a healthy DW.

With CS maybe a 2-3 point favorite.

SOS can out coach us - but he is a top 10 game coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this much is obvious, they are better than Syracuse and Wake

Nov 9, 2014, 1:07 PM

I expect a close, stressful game. Spurrier is a better gameplan and game day coach than Dabo. I hope our dominant defense can continue its elite level of performance and I hop Deshaun gives our offense the spark it needs to prevail.

Against SCar, venables is the only coach I feel good about, and he's up against a really good play caller.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2014, 11:01 AM

I think it won't be decided until the final posession with the winning margin of one or two points. I hope the home team wins.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only one thing needs attention right now,

Nov 9, 2014, 12:50 PM

and full attention at that.

The Wreck.

One big problem. Spurrier.***

Nov 9, 2014, 1:13 PM

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,943
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic