Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Not clicking on all cylinders
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

New Story: Not clicking on all cylinders

Sep 11, 2016, 7:01 AM

Not clicking on all cylinders

Clemson's offense is struggling to find its rhythm during the season's first two weeks, and co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott says the players are just "not on the right page right now." Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Most Obvious Story Today***

Sep 11, 2016, 7:57 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Not clicking on all cylinders

Sep 11, 2016, 8:35 AM

I was wondering how many drops we had. Seven dropped passes is something that's almost impossible for receivers of our caliber to do. Add those with all the drops last week and think about all the points we could have scored if those balls were caught. In a way that's encouraging because there's no way that continues and when those balls are caught we are going to start lighting up the scoreboard again.

On a side note, DW4 is really struggling with the deep ball, obviously. This is going back to last year. Sure he connected on a few nice ones last year and you're not supposed to complete every deep ball, but he's overthrowing receivers at an alarming rate, pretty much every time now. I'm sure it's a mental thing with him now, as we know he has all the physical ability in the world. Hopefully the light comes on there, and with the drops becoming catches we will look like Clemson again.

Sep 11, 2016, 9:29 AM

Yes, I agree. That is the most concerning thing that I have seen in the first 2 games. At Auburn, I attributed the overthrows to the "Danny Ford Crest" that Jordan-Hare has. Apparently, like the old field at Clemson, you only see waist up on the opposing sideline because of the "run downhill" hump in the field. So, sitting in the stands at Auburn, I turned to the guy next to me and gave that as the excuse. Little did I know that on a perfectly flat field, DW4 would do the same thing multiple times. Granted, he was getting pressured, but that is no excuse for those crazy overthrows (how in the heck do you overthrow Mike Williams???). Hopefully this gets fixed this week and next Saturday because the next 2 after that are not going to be easy. And, here's a question for you - was Troy stealing our offensive signals yesterday or were they just that good at anticipating or playcalling or were we just that bad period (I think I know the answer). Every time we ran the ball, they had the box stacked; and then every time we threw the ball, they seemed to blitz or attack the gaps on a rush and our Oline couldn't do anything. That actually concerns me almost as much as the overthrows.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It takes effort for all cylinders to click

Sep 11, 2016, 8:38 AM

I believe we have two weeks to get it together and Dabo will do it. I'm not ready to jump off a bridge just yet and strongly advise everyone to step back off the ledge a few steps. Poor start with W's is better than poor start with a loss.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It takes effort for all cylinders to click

Sep 11, 2016, 9:35 AM

Amen brother. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and step back from the ledge. There is much improvement needed but too great of a coaching staff and too much stellar talent to not turn it around. And those that booed Ray Ray and other Tigers yesterday..... SHAME on you! Those are youngsters out there giving it their all. Be all in or get off the bus.

Strength training affects your touch...

Sep 11, 2016, 9:58 AM

Way back in high school (before I played soccer at Clemson), we had weight training in PE. My legs got even stronger, but I lost my touch on long passes. From that point on, I saved my weight training for off-season and lifted weights sparingly during the season.

Some 'experts' said that Deshaun needs to improve his long ball, but I didn't see anything wrong with it last year. Was his arm strength weight training geared toward that end?

I know Deshaun gained some good weight and strength during the off-season ... perhaps less weight training during the season will help him get his touch back?

Of course, that doesn't help with all the dropped balls yesterday.

On a side note, after some performances yesterday, maybe some players need to really buy into what it means to rub Howard's rock ... Was there really 110% effort given ... mind, body, and spirit?

Sep 11, 2016, 9:59 AM

Clemson looked like garbage Saturday - we definitely deserve to drop a few spots in the top 25. Still love my tigers - but they need to get it together on offense, and fast.

Sep 11, 2016, 10:01 AM

Trevion seemed like he had quite a few drops in the spring game and then missed that "easy" pass yesterday. I really like him and hope he can improve because he seems like a great kid.

Alabama looks great out of the gates as usual.

Sep 11, 2016, 10:20 AM

Could it be that some Coaches are better at identifying problems than others? Why can't our guys see this coming in camp? Sometimes I think we pat each other on the back too much. Saban is chewing his guys out in a blowout win. Jeff Scott says were not where we should be "for whatever reason". You better figure it out Son. It is your job.

Sep 11, 2016, 10:28 AM

Not clicking on ANY cylinders. One of the most disjointed offenses I have seen from the Tigers in a long time. With all the returning experienced players, I do not understand what the problem is. but I hope it is solved before we lose to SC State.

Sep 11, 2016, 11:13 PM

the problem is we didnt practice the first teamers...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More like trying to pop the clutch.***

Sep 11, 2016, 11:37 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

any more former Clemson defensive coordinators on the schedule??

Sep 11, 2016, 11:41 AM

Hope not!

"Overthrew at least one receiver..." = hmm, how many????***

Sep 11, 2016, 11:41 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In other news, water is wet.***

Sep 11, 2016, 11:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Sep 11, 2016, 12:04 PM

Dropping passss and overthrows can be corrected. I'm just not sure about fixing our poor blocking. We do not look good on the O-line.

Sep 11, 2016, 12:53 PM

That is my single biggest concern right now as well. Many had the Tigers O line as the #1 O line in the country coming into this season and everyone I saw at least had them in the top 5. Not sure where their struggles are coming from. If that gets fixed, I think the rest of the issues with the O will come around.

The D just needs some killer instinct so they slam the door as Venerables put it. Right now, like last year, it seems that every time the Tigers get a lead the D slacks off for a drive or two letting the other team right back in it.

Sep 11, 2016, 6:01 PM

Get the players away from the media. TOTAL media blackout. FOCUS! Prior to the season, you would have thought that Deshaun had already won the Heisman before taking a single snap. And what the heck is the 2016 logo doing on the ring of honor? Who puts 2nd place as a symbol of pride? Nobody ever remembers who finished 2nd. As Rocky would say, ONE MORE ROUND! Get up, WIN and WIN THE WHOLE THING THIS TIME!

Sep 11, 2016, 6:29 PM

This is the first time I feel better after reading comments regarding the issues we have. If they are saying they are confident they'll get it fixed, we have no choice but to believe them. I was skeptical but after reading Scott's responses, I feel somewhat better. Especially when he said there is no panic on their behalf. Let's not forget they know more than we do. We are panicking but it's almost like are giving off this "chill, we got this" vibe. Ironically that is giving me confidence that we will be okay.

Sep 11, 2016, 8:31 PM

or spinning our tires!

Sep 11, 2016, 10:47 PM

I agree with a lot being said here. It all can b fixed tho. Weights will effect touch,time will bring it back.Its time. Media blackout totally. Get that fire in you're eye and stop listening to the hype. Prove it!! Uve got to get your edge back . DW4 plays better when involved physically in the game (running) thats just him. I understand protecting him in these two games and the next. we do need work in "regular" type football. We are CLEMSON...When we needed it (4th quarter) we went and got it. Hurry up offense is when we click. Run game*Oline has to get going! PROVE IT TIGERS!! ALL IN!!

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic