Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think ESPN missed this scenario ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 6,235

I think ESPN missed this scenario ...

Nov 21, 2017, 9:25 PM

Clemson wins out
Wisconsin wins out
Oklahoma wins out
Auburn wins SEC

By my count, that leaves the final spot between Auburn, Miami, and Alabama

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think ESPN missed this scenario ...

Nov 21, 2017, 9:29 PM

Yeah that would be interesting and similar to the Ohio State-Penn State scenario last year. I think they would take Auburn because they would have beaten Bama and would be conference champ

Message was edited by: Moosehead

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But Miami’s only loss would be to top ranked Clemson***

Nov 21, 2017, 9:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Nov 21, 2017, 9:38 PM

SEC champ wouldn't be left out, Auburn in. Bama doesn't have signature win without beating Auburn.

But, BAMA must get in. Lil Nicky will spontaneously

Nov 22, 2017, 7:50 AM

combust the Committee members from the inside out, one by one, if he is left out.

So, if Awbarn does in fact win the SEC, get ready for a public uproar, because two SEC teams will get into the Playoff.

Now, you would be looking at Clemson, Chokelahoma, Wisconsin (or Ohio State) for two spots. They are in love with Chokelahoma, so in reality, would come down to us vs BIG Champ. That is why we need Urbane's bunch to beat Wisconsin. No way I see an undefeated conference champ being left out, so it that is the scenario, WE are the ones on the outside looking in. This is why the stinking Syracuse loss hurts us so much, comparing these kinds of scenarios.

So, much as it galls me, it is in OUR best interest to root for BAMA in the SEC Championship, AND O310 State in the BIG Championship. (Having Chokelahoma get upset in the Big 12 Championship game wouldn't hurt either.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: But, BAMA must get in. Lil Nicky will spontaneously

Nov 22, 2017, 1:45 PM

No way they leave Clemson out if Auburn wins the SEC. It'd go as followed (if Clemson, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma win out)
1- Clemson
2-Oklahoma
3/4- Auburn or Wisconisn whichever

With Miami and Alabama sitting outside at 5 and 6.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2017, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: I think ESPN missed this scenario ... ]

I want Bama left at home. And I think Auburn can & will beat Bama. But what worries me is the OSU decision last year. Even though Penn St beat OSU and won their conference, the CFPC went with OSU. I think the committee would cave and put a 'brand' like Bama in with one lost over a conference champ that beat Bama. The only thing that could save Auburn in that scenario and not get the Penn St treatment is the fact that Auburn would have beaten Bama late Nov and not mid Oct like Penn St did OSU.

Nov 22, 2017, 2:28 PM

Auburn would also have 2 wins over UGA. No way they get left out with 3 wins over top 10 teams and a conf championship.

Auburn would get in, by virtue of 2 wins over #1

Nov 21, 2017, 9:47 PM

and both of their losses being on road, one of them being in the 2nd week to Clemson (which would probably be number 1 if this scenario played out).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2017, 10:02 PM

What if GT beats ga AUB beats bama then ga beats aub no sec lol would love that

Nov 21, 2017, 10:20 PM

That would give the ACC 2 teams.

A scenario for 2 ACC teams is this:

Nov 22, 2017, 1:01 AM

Keep in mind there's a little wiggle room for a handful of games, but one realistic scenario is as follows:

Clemson beats Miami. Auburn beats Bama and then Georgia. Oklahoma beats WVU and then wins the Big 12 (i.e., beats TCU again). Ohio State beats Wisconsin (regardless of the Michigan/OSU outcome.

You'd have the ACC and SEC champs in no matter what - so Clemson and Auburn in this scenario. Then you'd have Oklahoma in with 1 loss as the Big 12 champ. That leaves a 2-loss OSU as BIG champ vs. a 1 loss Bama/Miami as the only realistic choices remaining.

Miami would almost certainly get the nod over Bama and OSU (ala OSU over PSU). Miami would have made it to the conference championship game (unlike Bama), but more importantly also only lost to a team in the playoff who beat the team Bama lost to. OSU is almost assuredly out given the whipping they took at the hands of Iowa - similar to PSU vs Michigan when PSU got jumped by OSU.

As a follow up:

Nov 22, 2017, 1:08 AM

The other realistic chance for 2 ACC teams in the playoff revolves around Bama beating Auburn (eliminating them) and winning the SEC (eliminating Georgia). That leaves no door for a 2nd SEC team. (I purposely chose this scenario 2nd because I want Bama out of the playoff and think it may happen.)

It's gets even more interesting if Oklahoma screws up (very possible) in conjunction with Wisconsin dropping a game. You could have Bama and Clemson and then a mess behind to choose from.

Miami would almost assuredly get in the playoff in that scenario and then it's a crapshoot depending on who looked best these last few weeks.

Easiest path to repeat as champs:

Nov 22, 2017, 1:13 AM

Auburn somehow whips Bama in the Iron Bowl keeping them out of the SEC Championship. Georgia turns around and miraculously beats Auburn in the SEC champ game. Clemson beats Miami in a relatively close game after both teams win their last regular season game. OU loses to TCU in the B12 champ game. Wisconsin rolls OSU in the BIG champ game.

Wisconsin comes in at 1 as the only undefeated team in a power conference. Clemson in at 2 with a loss and ACC champ. UGA in at 3 as SEC champ. The committee takes a 1 loss Miami at 4 - who lost a close one to Clemson - over a 1 loss Bama who didn't make their champ game and got whipped by Auburn.

So it's Wisconsin/Miami and Clemson/Georgia. And we'd get to whip the bulldogs (great for receuiting) and then either repeat against Miami or whip up the Badgers to repeat as champs.

Recruiting****

Nov 22, 2017, 1:15 AM

I'm just going to use this thread as my

Nov 22, 2017, 1:06 PM

personal blog that no one reads.

The ONLY way a conference gets 2 in is if they are in the

Nov 22, 2017, 1:37 PM [ in reply to A scenario for 2 ACC teams is this: ]

same division...period

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up