Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tony E.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Tony E.

Oct 19, 2020, 12:48 PM

Watching some of SC/Auburn just reminded my again how lucky we are to have Tony Elliott. I will forever appreciate the role Chad Morris played in getting us going in the right direction. Just securing Deshaun alone will forever make me appreciate him. He made Clemson's offense exciting with Tahj, Nuke, Sammie etc. and that helped us get the attention and exposure for recruiting.

But he had a system and could not adjust if he did not have the personnel to run it, as in Cole Stoudt. All was great when you had TB and Deshaun. I mean Bo Nix was a train wreck this past weekend. I just had flashes of Cole Stoudt making bad decisions and trying to run an offense that did not fit his skill set.

Tony Elliott truly tries to run an offense to fit the personnel and not try and make personnel fit his scheme. It all started with job he did with Cole Stoudt before 2014 bowl game. That is the mark of a great coach who can make the necessary changes. I mean the adjustments he made to fit Kelly B. skillset in 2017 where awesome. Our offense was totally different. Things caught up when had to face Alabama's D but Kelly won a lot of big games that year (Auburn, Louisville, VT) with great game plans put together by Tony.

This year he is back to using the TE now that we have some with the necessary pass catching skills, etc. He didn't have that last year. The use of Travis in passing game was only reason we beat Ohio State last year.

Ok, as even he agreed, may be they should have run a little more Travis against LSU but nobody is perfect. But overall when you look at it T. Elliott is has done an amazing job. Venables tends to get most of the love, but it you break down the last 6 years Tony Elliott has done one hell of a job!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tony E.

Oct 19, 2020, 1:01 PM

I agree with most of your points, and most importantly I agree that we're in good hands with Elliott calling the plays, and that I wouldn't even entertain trading him for Morris right now.

I don't fully blame Morris for Stoudt though. Stoudt even admitted himself that he got way down when Watson took over the starting job, and that he sort of checked out during practice and wasn't ready to take over when Watson got hurt. I believe Stoudt was also dealing with some sort of injury throughout most of the season, and was fully healed up before the bowl game.

Also, not to take credit away, but his first touchdown pass against Oklahoma in the bowl was a screen pass that Scott took 65 yards for a touchdown. We then got a field goal on a short field after an interception, and then scored on a pick 6 to go up 17-0. Oklahoma never even came close to getting back into the game at that point. Stoudt went on to play a great game and made some great throws, but he was able to do so without a ton of pressure of the game being on the line.

Oct 19, 2020, 1:13 PM

Very good points on Oklahoma game. But if I remember correctly the game plan did include some different routes with a lot more stuff on the outside. Stoudt struggled with middle of the field. Never forget 2014 USuc game when Watson goes down right before half and Stoudt comes in a proceeds to throw interception across the middle. We lucky it wasn't a pick six. I had this sinking feeling that if #4 was done for the day, we were facing 6 in a row. Amen, DW came back and saved the day, ending those 5 years of hell.

Didn't we hire Streeter at the end of that season as well?

Oct 19, 2020, 8:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Tony E. ]

Having a QB coach for Stoudt was a big help getting him ready for the bowl game.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2020, 3:44 PM

I can't believe a program hasn't snatched him up already.
Enjoy the ride.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

SHHHHH... Don't rush things.***

Oct 19, 2020, 3:47 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SHHHHH... Don't rush things.***

Oct 19, 2020, 3:52 PM

Heard ya brother

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Oct 19, 2020, 7:41 PM

Well said!

Oct 19, 2020, 8:49 PM

I’ve said it once and will say it again.....

I love BV BUT he should have never taken the pressure off Burrows in the Natty! As long as we were rushing five or six guys and forced him out of the pocket he was horrible. When rushing three Burrows was lights out!!

That said, I don’t blame TE, at all for that loss! BV is a defense genius! He just missed it that game! Clemson needs to pay up to keep TE!

Go Tigers!

B Streeter played a huge role in C Stoudt’s bowl game

Oct 19, 2020, 8:54 PM

turnaround.

In my opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

And mine ??

Oct 19, 2020, 8:56 PM

:)

and he plays a huge role in our QB and offense success since

Oct 19, 2020, 9:02 PM

that time.

The guy is an incredibly valuable part of the family.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

T. Elliott and company are amazing

Oct 19, 2020, 9:35 PM

The offensive staff is amazing! Jeff Scott and Tony Elliott made the Chad Morris offense " base system " into it's own version of the HUNH offense.

But, as much as I love Coach Elliott and Coach Venables - the man who gets the most credit is Dabo! He basically told Scott and Elliott to "absorb everything from Chad" in the time he was here. They did that - but they did it better! They did it - but emphasized more physical OL play. The little run u of suc had was mostly b/c of the play of the OL.
They did everything he did - emphasized the OL in the off season. Slowed it down some to adjust to how the defense was playing us! Cultivated an offense for the players on that years team.

They both had really good offensive minds to begin with - the Morris aspect just gave them that extra to make it a much more difficult system to game plan against.
The whole: "we have answers built into what we are running" and "the defense even if they guess right could still be wrong" mentality was built up on.

The offensive analyst! Kyle Richardson for one is an amazing offensive mind. I could see him running a college offense easily one day. But, him being an analyst shows me just how in depth Dabo as planned things out. Richardson is a Air Raid guy who studied with some of the best(Leach, Holgorsen,Kingsbury, etc.). Not sure a pure Air Raid offense could win a championship - but I am sure as Richardson and Streeter learn they are absorbing everything Elliott knows. So, if TE does ever take another job we are left in good hands here.

Thank You to Coach Elliott and the entire offensive Staff! I only shout them out here because as you said, "we heap a ton of rightful praise on Coach V and the defense - but Coach Elliott and company have done a tremendous job"!

Ask schools like Florida or Auburn or Georgia if just because you are star studded with 5 star type players if you will automatically have a powerful offense! You don't. Not without the right guidance and foundation.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is also one hellova engineer.

Oct 19, 2020, 10:03 PM

I think it is a little ironic that our engineer beat the brakes off the ramblin wreck

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic