Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Transfer portal mindset of younger players and high recruits
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Transfer portal mindset of younger players and high recruits

Nov 9, 2021, 4:53 PM

College football is undergoing a transformation not unlike college basketball did with “one and done” players a few years back. Kids these days aren’t going to sit for 2-3 years for significant playing time - now that they can transfer with no consequence, they’ll go somewhere else they feel gives a better shot at starting.

This is magnified with top 300 recruits - they’re not gonna sit long before they transfer, like it or not. Doesn’t necessarily mean that we have a culture problem (though could still be internal program issues of course), it’s just gonna happen more and more that we lose second and third stringers each year.

To me, this changes the calculus of offering recruits and over signing - we used to criticize Saban for over signing and cutting players, but now that the shoe is on the other foot, I think Dabo needs to be less kind with not over signing kids - if they’re gonna leave on their own, we may as well anticipate some level of transfers and react accordingly. Otherwise we’re gonna end up short on quality depth and keep rewarding walk ons more than necessary

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Transfer portal mindset of younger players and high recruits

Nov 9, 2021, 4:57 PM

Transfer portal was the worst fk up the NCAA did for college sports. Now if a kid don't won't to wait until he develops to start, they just leave!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The adage used to be that an OL needed 2-3 seasons to become

Nov 9, 2021, 5:06 PM

the type of player who could play winning ball. They needed to get bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter.

New OL candidates were almost always red-shirted. That was just a fact of life.

Now we see raw young guys coming out of high school who automatically believe they should start as freshmen and they are not willing to serve any sort of apprenticeship.

When they don’t get what they expect, they simply quit on their team and hit the transfer portal.

A young OL available in the transfer portal should probably be a red flag. A guy who wasn’t up to the challenge. Who didn’t want to put in the time and effort.

It seems that this is the biggest indictment of looking for OL help via the portal.

that's a broad brush to paint with......

Nov 9, 2021, 5:14 PM

if we have a position of need open......GO GET BETTER than what we have.

It's naïve and close minded to think that CLEMSON has the best starters and backups just because they came to Clemson out of High School..............there are good, CHARACTER kids in the portal.........to think that every kid transferring will be a "cancer" to the team is unfair to the kid and our coaching staff honestly, because if the staff is who we think they are, then maybe a transfer can benefit A LOT from our staff.

the mindset of "Kid X transfers out, let's backfill that scholarship with a hard working practice squad player that has "stuck it out"" has to subside a little

I do agree that I’m generalizing ... there are

Nov 9, 2021, 5:57 PM

lots of individual circumstances.

I just think that a young kid who hasn’t immediately gained significant playing time and sees the portal as the answer is potentially someone who isn’t as dedicated as he needs to be.

You’re correct to point out that this certainly isn’t always the case.

Re: Transfer portal mindset of younger players and high recruits

Nov 9, 2021, 5:17 PM

At some point, you have to be at 85 so you cannot over sign. As I said in an earlier post, the issue is what date is that 85 number law? Is it April 1, April 30, August 1 or when? If a school, like us, only recruits the supposed "top" kids, then at least 15-20 other schools also offered them. If on the Winter signing day in February we have 84 on scholarship that is great but what happens in April when players are not happy with Spring practice and hit the Portal, where do we go? All the "big" recruits have signed and all the next level have signed at smaller schools. Recruiting is very hard and these days numbers are harder to deal with than ever before and that is why coaches don't care about boards and why they make big bucks.

Dabo likes to say we are a "developmental" program

Nov 9, 2021, 5:22 PM

It is yet to be seen how the transfer portal will affect his philosophy. Under Dabo's current philosophy, developing Freshman talent usually takes a couple of years before they are ready to be a gameday contributer. There are some exceptions (i.e. Mukuba, Shipley, etc...) but by and large most of our freshman coming into the program won't start until they have 2 years in the program.

If enough guys start leaving at the 2/3 year mark it will really hurt us as we will have invested 2 years in a guy just to see him walk out the door just before that development investment pays off into a "ready to play" athlete.

We'll see how things play out but at some point I think Dabo is going to have to moderate his stance on the transfer portal to offset some of the experience we are losing. If we start losing more and more 2nd and 3rd year guys we are going to eventually find ourselves in a deficit of "developed" players and the transfer portal will be the only way to get an immediate replacement at the same (or more) level of development.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo likes to say we are a "developmental" program

Nov 9, 2021, 5:55 PM

It is hard sometimes to gauge whether the true freshman is exceptional or you have just not developed the older players at a position.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo likes to say we are a "developmental" program

Nov 9, 2021, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Dabo likes to say we are a "developmental" program ]

You make good points, tabbyplague®.

I think Dabo has been making this adjustment already.

Since 2008 (when Clemson did not play true-FR very much except for undeniable stars) to 2021 (when all sorts of true-FR get at least some time on the field ... often only special teams) the numbers and 'readiness' of true-FRs playing has really grown. The RS is only used sparingly at Clemson (perhaps for some players who are too immature coming in; in which case it is not a big loss if that player leaves quickly [see D.Bowman] if he doesn't 'grow up' and learn during a RS year). With the 'four game ... anytime of the year' redshirt rule, the true studs which need some growth time (i.e., O-Tackle T.Leigh and Center R.Linthicum) can both get the benefit of a RS year AND play some.

Sorry for being so long with the post, but in summary Dabo and Clemson have been MTA (Making The Adjustment) with regard to the 'more modern' impatience from newly arriving players.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic