GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNETs™ to grant this post a special award and grant the author bonus TNETs™!

Love Love Love!
monetization_on 1000
Quality Content
monetization_on 1000
Big Fish
monetization_on 1000
Hmm
monetization_on 1000
Flammable
monetization_on 1000
Caring
monetization_on 1000
Nom Nom Nom
monetization_on 1000
Ooo, Shiny!
monetization_on 1000
Hear ye, hear ye
monetization_on 1000
Cheers
monetization_on 1000
Bravo
monetization_on 500
Grats
monetization_on 1000
Take My Coins
monetization_on 1000
Great Idea!
monetization_on 1000
Nope
monetization_on 1000

YOUR BALANCE
monetization_on
To Spud or any other SC fishermen, RE: trout
Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 19  

To Spud or any other SC fishermen, RE: trout

Jun 29, 2022, 4:06 PM

Hey all fisherpeople. I'm in upstate SC with my son, and we're looking for a place to go trout fishing. It's down to Burrell's Ford and the Upper Saluda. I'm familiar with Burrell's and have enjoyed it previously, but I'm kinda wondering about the Upper Saluda? Any suggestions? What is an area (town etc) to aim for on the Upper Saluda with good trout fishing?

flag link

Re: To Spud or any other SC fishermen, RE: trout

[2]
Jun 29, 2022, 4:25 PM

i was just at burrels last weekend. they dumped a 150lbs of trout…so fishing should be great

2022 white level member flag link

Dang, sounds good...

Jun 29, 2022, 4:28 PM

Where do they dump them - by the bridge or up by that stream that feeds into the Chattooga from the hatchery, or somewhere else?

flag link

Re: Dang, sounds good...

[1]
Jun 29, 2022, 5:27 PM

They always dump by the hatchery when they dump at Burrell's. Not sure age of son but if you want to guarantee easier fishing for a younger angler, less dangerous waters, easy access to fishing spots, there are multiple spots up at the hatchery where it would be almost impossible to catch some trout.

I was at Burrells 2 months ago, water was high and raging. 2 days of fishing and not a bite. I know it's been raining up by Highlands so always consider the hatchery area as a backup plan. Plus it is cool to tour and there are places to picnic, restroom, etc.

flag link

He's 13 and has a short attention span when

Jun 29, 2022, 5:51 PM

it comes to fishing. Trying to get him "hooked" though.

I didn't know you could fish by the hatchery, but I do know there's a road leading back into the hatchery while on the way to Burrells. Head back in there?

flag link

Re: He's 13 and has a short attention span when

[1]
Jun 29, 2022, 9:47 PM

Yes, just drive all the way down to the parking area. There are boardwalks, wooden overlooks of the stream, multiple points of fishing areas. The stream is only 10-15' in lot of places but it is stacked with fish when they dump. The hatchery has some good educational signs, they have 3 different type of trout and they will actually take time to tour you if you see one of the employees. But it is open to public until like 4:30pm, they have over million fish there. The breeders are in the 4-15lb range, they also have albinos, it's a great experience for a kid that you want to get interested. Its also not very touristy so it blends a little better with an outdoor experience.

Good luck, hope you have fun. While at Clemson, I always kept the hatchery on my back pocket for a few fish if I didn't succeed at Burrells and wanted a few for dinner. Good thing at the hatchery is you could fish for a bit, then tour and then fish again. Give son a break if he was getting bored.

Obviously little spinners are good options, typically white or yellow. Fly fishing changes daily but the staff would happily point you there. Guaranteed bites on a small split shot and a wiggler. Corn used to the go to bait but I think its illegal as it causes sour stomach issues. Just read the trout rules but I think worms are still fine and you will catch of so.

flag link

Re: He's 13 and has a short attention span when

Jun 29, 2022, 9:49 PM

10-15' wide, not deep

flag link

Awesome. Thanks!***

Jun 29, 2022, 10:43 PM

flag link

Re: To Spud or any other SC fishermen, RE: trout

[3]
Jun 29, 2022, 4:51 PM

There is a store where you turn to go to Jones gap across the road on adjacent corner is a field (corner lot). The stream makes a bend at the back of the field to run parallel to the hwy. Downstream of bend are a couple of holes. They like to congregate there after the fishery loads the streams. There is a shack log cabin type building with a store or boiled peanuts right in front of one hole just before you get to the jones gap turn off if coming from Marietta.

Good Luck - it gets fished out pretty quickly.

flag link

Thanks man!***

Jun 29, 2022, 5:17 PM

flag link

I'm sorry,but I am no help on trout....***

[2]
Jun 29, 2022, 4:57 PM

flag link

No problem thanks!***

Jun 29, 2022, 5:18 PM

flag link

Re: I'm sorry,but I am no help on trout....***

Jun 29, 2022, 5:35 PM

then why chime in? sometimes silence is the way to go

flag link

He answered because I addresses him

[2]
Jun 29, 2022, 5:53 PM

No need to be a #####. Thanks.

flag link

Upper Saluda is a glorified ditch. Tourist bathing

[2]
Jun 29, 2022, 5:09 PM

in the waters. i would waste a minute on that streams. Go up 178 to Rosman and fish the east Fork of the French Broad. or if you dare the North fork. Burrels ford is the choice of the two BY FAR.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link

Re: Upper Saluda is a glorified ditch. Tourist bathing

[2]
Jun 29, 2022, 5:18 PM

second Rosman and the east fork.

2022 white level member flag link

Follow 178 up to Rosman..

Jun 29, 2022, 5:24 PM

That's a town in NC, correct? Any special directions to get on the stream once in Rosman?

flag link

Thank ya kindly...

[1]
Jun 29, 2022, 5:19 PM

I'd rather not hook a person when trying to catch fish lol

flag link

Lots of sound wisdom on this thread! One day, when the time

[2]
Jun 29, 2022, 9:54 PM

Is right, go down to Pig Pen Falls and head down the Chattooga from there.

Got my first trout ever there, while a student at Clemson. I was 20 then, 40 now. Been a trout fisher ever since.

Took my son there this past February for the first time. It was glorious and just as pretty as I remembered it.

2022 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

I agree. The only problem with this thread

Jun 29, 2022, 10:53 PM

is the gal with the emotional IQ of a 9-yr old got involved. She has over 10,000 tds on the site, believe it or not. Apparently it's helps with her emotional well-being, and you know touchy little girls can be. She's COMPLETELY obsessed with more some reason - funny, I don't ever remember taking her barbie doll?

She'll td this one too.

Good luck, bloodbeorange! Hopefully one day you'll find a meaningful purpose outside of this website.

flag link

Replies: 19  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Furman
FOR SALE: Two seats on the home side on the 15-20 yard line with only one row in front of you in Section TDH, ...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

Tiger Boards - The Amphitheatre
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
1162 people have read this post