Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
South Carolina High School Football Coaches Salaries
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 165

South Carolina High School Football Coaches Salaries

Jan 15, 2009, 3:25 AM

Irmo and Dutch Fork coaches making over 104,000 a year...
http://www.thestate.com/620/story/646872.html?appSession=36560236762960

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see anything too outrageous there

Jan 15, 2009, 5:33 AM

I know in the case of Wren High's football coach, he's been a teacher at Wren at least 20 years, was QB coach there about that long as well as the baseball coach for most of that time. He got passed over when Jack King left and spent a few years as an assistant at Byrnes before taking the head coaching job at Wren. So 20+ years of service combined with dealing with the new "holier than thou" attitude that people that have moved to Powdersville seem to have, $78 large is a bargain to Anderson County for this guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: South Carolina High School Football Coaches Salaries

Jan 15, 2009, 6:13 AM

I did not read the article but many coaches also teach and are ADs.

When I was in HS, back in........well, back in the day,

Jan 15, 2009, 7:20 AM

coaches were just teachers who made a bonus of about $5,000 for coaching. Guess times have changed?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Have you seen Byrnes Jumbotron?***

Jan 15, 2009, 7:21 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Nope. And when clicking on the detail button, I

Jan 15, 2009, 7:30 AM

expected to see booster club money as a big chunk of the package. It didn't spell it out. Is that the case?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Booster Club money is not included in salary.

Jan 15, 2009, 7:32 AM

It doesn't come from the local or state BOE's.

Not booster money nor BOE? Where does it come from?

Jan 15, 2009, 7:48 AM

Just state payroll? Is that what you're saying? And if so, is it just that they've been doing it like 30 years and have received raises through the years?

Re: Not booster money nor BOE? Where does it come from?

Jan 15, 2009, 7:56 AM

Having gone to Dutch Fork, I know Kimery is also the AD and has been there since Dutch Fork was opened so with annual pay raises this makes sense.

Not for sure about Hanna at Irmo but I am sure he does something else like teach driver's ed or gym class to help with his income.

Shocked about Brynes's coach only making 85,000 but I guess he hasn't been around long enough.

The thing is, a HS principal with an EdD and 30 years

Jan 15, 2009, 8:01 AM

makes about $75,000. I have to wonder where the money is coming from for some of those salaries. Not saying anything negative about it. I would just like to see some details to satisfy my curiosity.

uhh, I thinkyou may want to check that salary figure.

Jan 15, 2009, 8:07 AM

Teachers in most counties I'm familiar with... that possess a doctorate and over 25+ years of experience make 70-75k.

Re: uhh, I thinkyou may want to check that salary figure.

Jan 15, 2009, 8:12 AM

You may be right. I don't have a source, just going by what I once knew being married to a HS teacher. Salaries would have gone up sharply in the last several years though.

OK, here you go - Link

Jan 15, 2009, 8:15 AM

http://www.teacher-world.com/statespages/South%20Carolina.html

Average HS principal salary is $86,000. I guess the top salaries could be in the $100k range.

keep in mind, you don't have to have an ED to become a

Jan 15, 2009, 8:19 AM

principal either.

So 30 years + a doctorate? yeah that is easily 100-125K.

Re: keep in mind, you don't have to have an ED to become a

Jan 15, 2009, 8:21 AM

OH yeah, I know that. A master's in administration is the basic requirement. I just didn't realize the salaries had grown to that point. Guess they can quit whining now, huh? ;)

ehhh, most of 'em on "on call" 365/24/7.

Jan 15, 2009, 8:22 AM

I could hack an assitant principal gig, but the head honcho?

That's rough.

here's the salary schedule for Admin in Greenville County...

Jan 15, 2009, 8:12 AM [ in reply to uhh, I thinkyou may want to check that salary figure. ]

http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/gcsd/depts/admin/stats/0809/adminsup.pdf

30 years would be a Step 9 catagory... and a doctorate would be minimum Group C classification.

Looks like South Carolina is cheap.

Jan 15, 2009, 7:26 AM

I suspect most of those coaches have over 15-20 years of experience in the school system, and many are probably the AD of their respective schools...

but compared to schools in Georgia... those salaries are somewhat weak.

I have problems with some of those, but can't discuss it

Jan 15, 2009, 8:13 AM

because I work at one of those schools, and my HC I work for makes less than another HC in the same district, whose team isn't NEARLY as successful. Big problem with that

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have problems with some of those, but can't discuss it

Jan 15, 2009, 8:20 AM

It's not like it's the free agency market, though. These are educators in the public school system, right? They're paid based on degree and experience alone just like any teacher or school administrator, aren't they?

High school coaches aren't paid a salary based on winning %.

Jan 15, 2009, 8:21 AM [ in reply to I have problems with some of those, but can't discuss it ]

The salary is based on length of service, highest degree earned, and local supplement.

Booster Club money nonwithstanding... you can have a wildly successful young coach make 10's of thousands of dollars less than an older less successful coach.

Don't some of these coaches get private money in addition?

Jan 15, 2009, 8:37 AM

Seems like I heard that McKissick at Summerville also received a sizeable amount of money from some sort of booster fund in addition to his state salary.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Six on the first page from Lexington county.***

Jan 15, 2009, 11:24 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 165
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic