Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Questions RE:
General Boards - Religion & Philosophy
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Questions RE:

May 30, 2023, 3:43 PM

John 11. To set the stage; Lazarus, brother of Mary and Martha had died. Jesus tarried a few days before He headed toward them. Mary remained at home but Martha came out to meet Him on the road. The following is the record of their meeting...

"20 Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house.

21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.

22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.

23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.

24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day."

Martha, like everyone else around Jesus during His ministry, believe He was avoiding the issue since, like us, they related everything to the flesh and Jesus saw spiritual lessons in everyday walk of life. So, she'd like, 'Yes I know all about that but my brother is dead.' That's my view of her statement.

"25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:"

Now was He still speaking exclusively about the spiritual or the physical or perhaps both? I think perhaps both but you decide for yourself.

"26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?"

Was He speaking of physical or spiritual life? We know Lazarus was one of those who Jesus raised from the dead. You can decide for yourself but you must consider that Lazarus is not living today in a human body.

When I first got saved I attended a SB Chruch, Rockwood 1st Baptist. They taught me that once saved always saved. God was not satisfied that I knew the truth from SB. He undid everything I thought I knew and showed me in His Word what He wanted me to believe.

My question is 'Do you believe that whosoever liveth and believeth in Him shall never die?' I invite you to be like Martha and not like Mary, go to meet Him. He is moving toward you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Questions RE:

May 30, 2023, 5:51 PM

>My question is 'Do you believe that whosoever liveth and believeth in Him shall never die?'

I've always thought of it as a spiritual rebirth, but it's a fantastic question when posed as "What did Jesus think?"

Since he was a Jew and well versed in scripture, he probably thought like a Jew, at least initially. That is, there's no indication that Jesus ruffled any Temple feathers as a child, while he was schooling rabbis. So whatever he said must have been in accordance with their beliefs.

Whatever happened in his later years, from John the Baptist onward maybe, was different enough that it got people's attention, in good and bad ways.

To this day, many Jews think the body will physically rise from the grave when New Jerusalem comes. That's why they want to be buried at the Eastern Gate - to be "first in line" and all.

"Most Orthodox Jews believe that the physical body will be resurrected in the Messianic Age, when the good will rise from the dead. For this reason, Orthodox Jews forbid many procedures that they consider to cause damage or destruction of the body after death, and will bury their dead rather than cremate them for this reason."

16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 1 Thess 4:16

So Jesus may very well have meant the physical body. It's hard to say. But it does lead to the question of, since Jesus was a Jew, was he a Pharisee or a Sadducee (or maybe even an Essene, or Zealot, or some other faction?)

The Pharisees did believe in physical resurrection. They became todays Orthodox Jews.
The Sadducees did not in physical resurrection. They got wiped out when the Temple was destroyed in 70.
I'm not sure what the Zealots or Essenes thought.

But if Jesus was a Pharisee, physical resurrection would fit into his world view.

Which leads to yet another question...if Jesus WAS the son of God, when did he know it? And when did he express it? I have to think it would be difficult to have a normal childhood if the whole town knew the son of God was growing up down the street. Plus, imagine how crummy it would have been to be James:

Joseph walks in the room in the middle of an argument...
"No, James! You brother is God! He's right and you are wrong. Do you expect me to tell God he's wrong?"
Tell me that wouldn't get under a kid's skin if he heard that enough times. Talk about sibling rivalry.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do not recall any scripture which reveals when Jesus...

May 30, 2023, 7:39 PM

first knew He was the Son of God. My only consideration is the Bible. Someone may have a theory which can be supported by Scripture early than this but my impression is this: At ~12 y/o He separated Himself from the company that He had traveled to the Temple with. I know, end a sentence with a preposition.

When they traveled about 3 days without Him they returned to find Him in the Temple asking sophisticated questions about Scripture. Since the leaders there were impressed that He seemed to have understanding which was not typical of a 12 yr old child I suspect He may have been leading them with questions about The Messiah from the Pentateuch. That's my take.

Either way He impressed them and I believe He knew who He was when He said '...I must be about My Father's business.'

We know He knew when He was ~30 and went to John for Baptism. Otherwise He wouldn't have been so aggressive about John baptizing Him.

I am confident He knew He was The Son of God before He turned 13.

I recommend some caution about trying to reconcile why Jesus obeyed Mosaic Law. Everyone was under that law before His death.

As for what body we will have after this life it's pretty clear in 1 John 3:

"1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure."

We read elsewhere that He had a glorified body. I'm thinking this wasn't flesh but spirit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two encounters I think are interesting:

May 31, 2023, 9:40 AM

1. With the Enemy in the wilderness. One would think he would know by then, given the nature of the conversation, and it being after "This is my son" at his baptism. I heard someone say, "If Jesus didn't know he was a dead man walking going into that conversation, he knew it coming out."

2. When his mom pushes him to provide wine at the wedding. Mary knew, and had known all along. It had to be hard for her, to push him into what she may have known was a sacrificial mission. After that, there was no turning back. Bittersweet moment for her, I would think. But it's what mothers do.

That doesn't answer your question about when before that did he know. Assuming Joseph was a wood carpenter, at what point, when watching his dad pound in a nail, did he think, "That's not going to be good moment."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't miss this...

May 31, 2023, 7:25 AM

Jesus, calling Lazarus from the grave, proved His authority over the spiritual and the physical life.

Why did Jesus linger for two more days before coming to the sisters who had sent word for Him to come? (V6) He heard Lazarus was sick and stayed where He was for two more days. By the time Jesus arrived, lazarus had been in the tomb Four days.(V17) These are important to know because it addresses an continuing "disagreement" between the Pharisees and Sadducees.

The Pharisees believed the soul lingered with the body three days after death. Once the soul was gone, death was complete. The Sadducees, of course, did not believe in the resurrection.

When Jesus called Lazarus out of the tomb after being dead at least four days, He showed the Pharisees He is Lord over life. He also showed the Sadducees He is Lord of the resurrection.

Added:
These things He did not do as a child, so there was no "rift" between Him and the spiritual leaders of the day. What amazes me is that [they], who had been amazed by the boy and His understanding of the teachings, never kept up with Him after that day. Why hadn't they recruited Him to come learn from the best? Why hadn't they pursued Him as the world pursues and teaches all other known "prodigies"?

They were amazed at Him as a child, and yet, they rejected Him. As a child and as the "man." They still reject Him, as do so many others. Perhaps they did so because of the persistent rumors that He was a ####### child?

But, hear what is said of Him, ...every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Jesus is Lord!

Message was edited by: HuntClub®

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: Don't miss this...

May 31, 2023, 12:04 PM

I did not know the Hebrews believed the spirit remains in a body for three days but that does stir up an elusive and curious shadow of memory.

I'd like to say He had divine understanding when He asked 'hard questions,' to the tenders of the temple but I can't. I believe His questions, or many of them went unanswered and they were rhetorical but that's no more than a suspicion which I've never discussed with anyone before.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
General Boards - Religion & Philosophy
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next