Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Portal
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Portal

Dec 5, 2022, 4:30 PM

My concern with this activity in the transfer portal is what are we teaching young people about life. It would seem we are telling them that if it does not work out for you the way you want it, just pack it in and leave vs working hard to get to next level. Probably what none of us know, is what the coaches might be suggesting to these players...they could be coaching some into entering portal as they will not have a chance here. The real world to 99% of us does not work that way. We work hard to try and get ahead.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So we should never take a new job at a new

Dec 5, 2022, 4:31 PM

Company where we might have better opportunities, a better career path, better mentor and coaching… or yes… better pay?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congratulations on completely missing his point

Dec 5, 2022, 4:54 PM

But please proceed with your 1-dimensional myopic "hot take".

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how is that myopic? none of us play the game. So

Dec 5, 2022, 5:08 PM

relating it to what (I hope) we all do isn't an unreasonable comparison. If you work you butt off and see no chance of advancement, what would you do?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK, clearly you're right

Dec 5, 2022, 6:05 PM

My mama told me not to argue with people who have no ears.

So, you're right. Nevermind that now neither of you have understood the OP's main point.

Re: So we should never take a new job at a new

Dec 6, 2022, 8:52 AM [ in reply to So we should never take a new job at a new ]

I guess what I was trying to say with my original post is this..... Sports teaches kids to learn to compete and that parlays over to whatever career path an ex athlete may take. Competing in the work place is very valid and I would assume most all of us would like to hire people that have that competitive spirit in them vs just taking the easiest path. I do not have any issues with people trying to better themselves at all.

Little league does that. Once you hit college, it is a

Dec 6, 2022, 12:11 PM

business... certainly for the schools and coaches... so it should be for the athletes as well.

Plus not every job is what you were promised. I assure you every athlete who commits doesn't end up in the situation he was promised.

Message was edited by: STERLING®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You do realize how many kids never get picked up after entering portal?

Dec 6, 2022, 8:56 AM [ in reply to So we should never take a new job at a new ]

Most of us that change jobs already have another job lined up before quitting current job. A lot of these kids are kissing away a free tuition at top notch unviversities…for what?

But we are always taking a risk, either way. New job could

Dec 6, 2022, 12:12 PM

be worse. People want these kids to be pawns, nothing more...

Re: Portal

Dec 5, 2022, 4:33 PM

The future is bleak, jobs are going to have to get into automated labor forces because the up and coming work force isn’t going to cut it .

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, concerning and has been discussed

Dec 5, 2022, 4:49 PM

...add-nauseum in TNET for the past 2 years.

The Transfer Portal was rolled out with very little thought or oversight which is why it's going to be (and already is) a mess.

Dec 5, 2022, 4:58 PM

If you have never changed jobs, you are in a very tiny number of people who have not. If the majority of young men and women who enter the Portal accept the fact that there is a reason they did not not play as much as they wanted to, the Portal is great. The majority of athletes that actually find somewhere to go will likely take a step or 2 down but if they finish school, that should be enough for them.

Dec 5, 2022, 5:04 PM

The majority of football players that enter the portal do not get signed by another college/university.

In addition to not playing football again, most of them never graduate.

Dec 5, 2022, 5:03 PM

Teaching them to do what's best for their careers? Sounds fine to me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2022, 7:21 PM

Any concern for young people being marketed to by multi-million dollar businesses and convinced to sign binding contracts by salesmen who get hundreds of thousands of dollars or even millions of dollars every year?

Even better is that those marketeers and salesmen can leave for more money at any time, and they often wait until after those young people sign the binding contracts because it's their job and they want to make sure that the place that they are going to knows that they will do the same there as well.

And those adult salesmen don't even have to tell their current employer before they go. But those young people playing football who might want to leave sure do.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2022, 9:13 AM

https://twitter.com/JimNagy_SB/status/1600123109872267264?s=20&t=mG7N8iPEMZhrWB7mMPxtiQ

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic