Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1987  (9)Clemson- 45 Maryland- 16
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 1

On This Date: 1987  (9)Clemson- 45 Maryland- 16

Nov 14, 2021, 6:49 PM

11/14/1987
Clemson, SC

CLEMSON CLIPS 'TERPS 45-16

By CHRIS POWELL, UPI Sports Writer

The Clemson Tigers, after a rather circuitous route, accomplished what they set out to do in the preseason -- win the Atlantic Coast Conference championship.

The ninth-ranked Tigers sputtered through a midseason slump, when they slipped by several lesser opponents and actually lost to one, but with a 45-16 victory over Maryland Saturday, won their second straight ACC flag.

'I think we're pretty close to being the kind of football team we want to be,' said Clemson Coach Danny Ford, whose team appears headed to the Florida Citrus Bowl. 'I thought we showed today that we are a pretty good football team.'

Ford wasn't saying that at midseason, when the Tigers barely got past Virginia, Duke and Wake Forest, then lost to North Carolina State. But they rebounded to defeat North Carolina on the road, setting up the deciding game against Maryland.

Unlike earlier in the year when Clemson, 6-1 in the ACC and 9-1 overall, moved only by ground, the Tigers took to the air to beat the Terrapins. Rodney Williams connected with Gary Cooper on touchdown passes of 50 and 44 yards, and Terry Allen rushed for two more scores.

'All in all, I think we finally played as a whole team today,' said Williams, ridiculed earlier in the year when the Tiger offense became sluggish.

Maryland dropped to 3-3, 4-6 under first-year Coach Joe Krivak, and is assured its first losing season since 1981.

'It was a good, old-fashioned knockdown, drag-out whipping,' Krivak said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Replies: 0
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic