Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NIL and portal
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

NIL and portal

Dec 1, 2021, 7:59 AM

I read the board a lot but don't post. I've been Iptay member about 40+ years. I believe the portal and NIL is going to change college football forever. Recruiting will become more a matter of buying players through the portal. Only lower 4 star and 3 star players will be recruited out of high school. High 4 star and 5 star players you better bring your NIL pitch with you. Really good sophmores and juniors in college that aren't starting will enter the portal and you will recruit them with NIL money. Money will build the best programs as it has before but not for facilities. It will be for players. My Dad played for Frank Howard but left early to join Army Air Corps in WW II. He played on teams with the late Walter Cox. I grew up going to Clemson games all my life. All the $$$ stuff is tarnishing my love for Clemson Football and college football in general.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The sad thing is, that once we really get into the financial

Dec 1, 2021, 8:07 AM

Free-for-All, Clemson is going to suffer. We don't have a Phil Knight or Jeff Bezos in our Alumni Base. And, our total Alumni base is small compared to other major players in football. Dabo being a breath of fresh air, with a new approach to team building and facilities, has raised us up to the blueblood level on the field. But, as NIL progresses, and coaching salaries shoot through the stratosphere, we are going to hit a wall where we just can't cut it financially. It may still be a few years down the line, but if changes to college football overall are not made to curb things, it IS coming.

There has been talk for years of a Top 60 or so schools pulling out of the NCAA and making their own "Super Conference". Only now, it will totally be driven by available dollars, and the schools may not be who we thought they were going to be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NIL and portal

Dec 1, 2021, 8:17 AM

Obviously you don't understand NIL. A player is a self employed individual who receives money for endorsements. A school does not get NIL money.

Dec 1, 2021, 9:07 AM

it's really hard for some people to grasp that its not the school paying players too.

generational divide not understanding people can have an actual career through instagram.

True. In the old days, the college players would work

Dec 1, 2021, 9:21 AM

during the summer. Odd jobs, construction, whatever....to make money. Today certain kids can make money by doing endorsements and can continue to work out over the summer. Times have changed. Who GAF? It is what it is.

I mean, MANY people today earn a living sitting behind a computer. 30 years ago, not so much.

Dec 1, 2021, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Re: NIL and portal ]

Really hard for you to understand that the school can indirectly line recruits up with sponsors.

It's basically an almost legal slush fund.

The bag man doesn't have to hide the money any more.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can? Sure, I'll go with that. Is it actually happening?

Dec 1, 2021, 12:45 PM

I don't think so, at least not in some meaningful way.

First off, a VERY slim few kids are making any meaningful money. And I mean that as a percentage of total college athletes. Heck, just look at football. How many kids at clemson are even making $500/month? We don't know that but I'd bet it's less than 10 football players.

Now look at these deals. Agents are setting them up for players. Not schools. You don't really think schools are prospecting Dr Pepper, Bojangles, Cash App, Crypto currencies, NFTs, etc. for money to entice recruits do you?

I think I could sorta understand the point if suddenly Cade Klubnik shows up and gets $10k per month from some car dealer in Easley, Mr Knickerbockers, or some construction company in Seneca....but that's not how this is panning out.

The ZOMG COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS BEING RUINED crowd is projecting a bunch of bs that simply isn't true.

Are there people doing things against the letter of the rules? YOU BETCHYA. But schools lining up the bag man wild-west style to get kids in there? Doubt it.

#3qb decommitted from OU and is following Riley to USC. Think USC won the bidding here? Or the player was more committed to the coach than the school?

Dec 1, 2021, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: NIL and portal ]

I do understand that. The $$ comes from boosters and their businesses. But they are all tied to the school.

You are incorrect.

Dec 1, 2021, 10:12 AM

There are rules about it. Are there shady workarounds? Of course.

Some money may come from boosters and their businesses. Not all, nor even most I doubt. Look no further than DJ. Bojangles and Dr Pepper.

Bryce Young at AL is reported to be among the highest NIL

Dec 1, 2021, 10:14 AM

earners.

His deals?
Logan's Roadhouse
Cash app
3 memorabilia companies

These ain't Bama booster car dealerships in the shadows of the stadium.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic