Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Neff responded to my email from March 13.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Neff responded to my email from March 13.

Mar 31, 2023, 9:30 PM

Similar to ICAtiger - I also received a response to my letter to Mr. Neff today.

We had swapped emails a year prior as well.

For the record, both sets of our emails were polite, professional, and appreciative of the others viewpoint.

As ICATiger also stated, I will not be posting his specific email.

With that being said:

Graham states that the announcement of returning Brad was “a really complex circumstance”.
I am unsure what this alludes to - you can make your own judgement. Sounds like there are other issues at play rather than simply returning Brad.

“The timing of the announcement was by design for many reasons”.
I for one, do not understand what the many reasons may be. I rule out recruiting, retention, etc. something drove Graham to do it, but he does not state why.

He “couldn’t be more frustrated by the Morehead loss”.
Yep, I think everyone feels that way. Ditto for SC, Louisville, Loyola, etc.

The rest was boilerplate rah rah stuff.

I appreciate his response. I also strongly disagree with his retaining Brad for another year. Especially without any specifics as to why we should now expect Brad to break out of his prior 13 year pattern of mediocrity.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Neff has absolutely no clue about what he is doing. His answers

Mar 31, 2023, 9:37 PM

sound like Brandon Streeter wrote them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You tell um, Karen.***

Apr 1, 2023, 1:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Neff responded to my email from March 13.

Mar 31, 2023, 9:51 PM

Thanks, sounds like very similar emails. The point of moving Brad this year sounds like his hands were very tied. Seems like the BOT was making him fight for the team to get to NCAA but he knew the BOT wanted another year. Neff blatantly explained that we all want basketball success and we will migrate that way in the future. I never got the feeling that he was 100% sold on Brad

We talked about Softball and Baseball. He thinks our Softball team will host and go to Okla Citywith a strong chance to win.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2023, 1:32 PM

It's the usual. The AD never has the final word on important matters.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I got the same exact response today.

Mar 31, 2023, 9:55 PM

That's fine, and I really appreciate getting any response at all. I certainly don't expect him to respond individually to every single email. So, here's my take ... Neff wants Clemson basketball to be better and more competitive at a higher level. Yet, these decisions are not his alone to make, and it was decided to keep Brownell another year, and Neff is the one who has to offer up an explanation. I still get the feeling that Brownell is gone if we don't make the tourney next year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I got the same exact response today.

Apr 1, 2023, 10:41 AM

Please explain why you feel CBB will be gone next year if no NCAAT.

Apr 1, 2023, 11:22 AM [ in reply to I got the same exact response today. ]

Anything can be read into the words Neff wrote - but it feels to me that there is “something else” going on. His response actually drives more questions and answers nothing.
What was the reason for the timing? I can find absolutely no reason to come out that day with that message. I hate to think Neff would have done that without a huge motivating factor - yet none are even close to obvious. So why?

What is so complex about firing a coach that after 13 efforts - has on his best season - simply hit mediocrity. That his supporters value a cupcake schedule and brag about the number of wins - when we all know it was partially due to the schedule.

Let’s face it, there is absolutely no known reason to retain Brownell. He is not a great coach. He is not even a mediocre recruiter. He has not engaged the fans or students to want to come watch. He does not resonate with donors. He does not develop players well. He coaches a boring game. He coaches mid major basketball of chunk and run, no inside game, no rim protectors, no rebounding. He is not a good adjustment in game coach. He seldom if ever changes the team to adjust to defeat stronger opposition. He loses against inferior opposition on a very regular basis.
The so called Clemson supporters - who want to keep him (which I think is bogus - as I think they are simply Brad supporters) will simply point to winning more games (but also losing more games) in history. Finishing 3rd in a cupcake schedule against the worst ACC on record.
No reason at all. Heck, he is not even funny or interesting to watch or listen to. If you are not a good coach - at least be interesting and engaging.

Apr 1, 2023, 1:22 PM

First, for the record, I have been calling for a coaching change for many years, and I still believe one is needed. I agree 100% that Brownell's tenure has been the epitome of mediocrity, and I think he showed very little this season to indicate that was changing.

The decision to retain or fire Brownell is not Neff's alone. In fact, he answers to the university and the BOT. His generic email response is a reflection of that reality - for the most part, he is delivering an approved, agreed upon message. I expect nothing more.

As for the timing of his and the university's public support of Brownell before the NIT was totally predictable; in fact I did predict it:

https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-forum/message/i-would-not-be-surprised-to-hear-from-neff-pretty-quickly-32462128

They did it because at that time the decision had been made to retain Brownell, and they wanted to squash all rumors of a coaching change, to give him and the team a boost of confidnce going into the NIT. We see how that worked out.

They decided to keep Brownell based on the 3rd place ACC fininish after being picked to finish 11th, a record number of ACC wins, 20+ wins overall. Right or wrong, THEY felt it was too good of a season to fire Brownell. That was their reasoning, not mine.

I could be completely wrong, but my gut tells me that if it were totally up to Neff, he favors moving in a different direction, and he is prepared to do so. I can't prove it and I have no inside source. I don't know if it's the words and phrases he uses, his mannersims, or all of that together, but it's just my impression. Besides, it's his chance to leave HIS legacy. Assuming football remains strong, just think, Neff could leave his mark by making Clemson basketball relevant. I hope that's what he does ... I hope he's allowed to.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 1, 2023, 1:52 PM

My opinion is that after working closely with CBB for a number of years. Graham Neff allowed his emotions to make the decision to retain CBB. I don’t think it got to the BOT level since their was no need for a vote on his contract.
This relationship between Neff and Brownell may prove to be problematic for both of them in sustaining long term employment at Clemson.
My opinion, and just like a certain part of everyone’s body, everybody has one.

Apr 1, 2023, 2:49 AM

Sounds like Typical politician BS

Apr 1, 2023, 10:55 AM

Sports thrive on merit. You “want it” you “earn it”. Anything else and that sport, team, league, whither’s and dies.

I don’t see the merit system in Clemson Basketball, I see charity…….I don’t watch sports for charity.

Apr 1, 2023, 11:29 AM

Excellent explanation. I don’t even see Brad wanting it.

Apr 1, 2023, 11:32 AM

He responded to me the same as well. I interpret "very complex situation" as meaning it has to do with Brad's buyout, and the fact that Perhaps Neff has not identified a candidate that he wants. Something else is going on around the athletic department. Brad has some strange hold on the administration. Seems to me like there's something very dark behind the scenes.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic