Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My idea for crowning a champ
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

My idea for crowning a champ

Aug 3, 2021, 1:39 PM

1) Let the SEC decide how to determine a conference champ
2) Have a "normal" 4-team playoff for the ROY (i.e. non-SEC)
3) Let the SEC champ play the ROY champ for the natty

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My idea for crowning a champ

Aug 3, 2021, 2:18 PM

Kind of like the America’s Cup.

This would give the SEC more credit than they deserve, yet since 2006 whether BCS or CFP, the powers that be always made sure there was an SEC team in it anyways, so no real difference.

eSECpn signed their $2 billion deal with the SEC in 2008.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Aug 3, 2021, 2:39 PM

Regardless of conspiracy theories, the fact is that the SEC has played in 14 of the last 15 national championship games. They've won 11 of those 14, lost 1 by 3 points, lost 1 by 4 points, and were blown out once.

They aren't being gifted entry, and they aren't falling flat when they get there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2021, 2:59 PM

Except 2011 and 2017 when SEC teams were given second chances over other conference champions.

Not 100% against the idea but in that case the SEC would get 50% of the money and I am against that.

null

Agree the money split is a tough pill to swallow

Aug 3, 2021, 3:16 PM

I guess the ROY teams would divide up the CFP part, and the SEC would get none of that. And maybe the ROY group collectively has the bargaining power to negotiate a fairer split on the championship game.

The SEC would argue that they have 1 of two teams so they deserve half, but they really would need the game to be able to claim a true, undisputed national champ. Otherwise, there would just be an SEC champ and a ROY champ every year, and the SEC would get nothing from the postseason.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2021, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Re: My idea for crowning a champ ]

2011 was BCS. Two SEC teams (Bama/LSU) had a rematch for the title. Bama won by 21.

2017 was CFP. Neither team (Bama/UGA) was gifted a NC appearance, they both had to win semifinals to get there. And they played a tremendous game for the title.

Aug 3, 2021, 3:50 PM

Ok state was more deserving of a championship appearance regardless of the game result.

Bama knew the opportunity to win a title was on the line against Auburn and lost. We’re they the most deserving maybe but they got the benefit of the doubt because SEC.

null

Aug 3, 2021, 4:02 PM

Point being, in 2011, even if Ok St had been BCS #2, the SEC was already represented. They (as a conference) had played their way in.

In 2017, the CFP #5 was Ohio State. It would have been Clemson/OSU in the semi, and Georgia would still have been in the final. Again, the conference was in the championship.

I'm in no way an SEC homer and I do think the hype is overkill...there are some awful football teams and some cakewalk schedules in that conference. However, the top is without a doubt the best in the country and they prove it every year.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic