Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
More big guards
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

More big guards

Jan 22, 2022, 11:52 AM

Our game with Pitt tonight may be determined by how our small guards can defend Pitt's big guards. We need bigger guards because that is the modern game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The thing about it is...

Jan 22, 2022, 12:18 PM

They are small at guard but Dawes and Honor are juniors so they are coming back next season.
It is going to be a problem next season as well. I believe that one of them will transfer, maybe both.

Still think it is lame excuse. Dawes is at least almost 6-2 and go look, there are plenty of guards who are 6-2 for power 6 teams that are good players. Your average size backcourt in power 6 conferences is 6-2 or 6-3. What happened to Dawes who was considered a good defender last season?

Collins is a solid 6-4 and Chase Hunter is almost 6-4 so why aren't these guys better defenders for athletic guards?

Don't expect things to change much because Chauncey Gibson coming in is 6-6 but not a difference maker next season. Unless some guys transfer and you bring some guys in the portal it is going to be more of the same...

Re: The thing about it is...

Jan 22, 2022, 12:34 PM

Year to year improvement hasn't been there for some of our players.

Some of them looked decent as sophomores, but the expectation is that they get better every year.

Many of ours have not.

We could accept some defensive liabilities if the guards could create their own shots and get to the basket but they aren't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You think both of them are going to transfer? Good Lord

Jan 22, 2022, 12:40 PM [ in reply to The thing about it is... ]

where did you come up with that one guy? Neither will leave

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The thing about it is...

Jan 22, 2022, 12:41 PM [ in reply to The thing about it is... ]

We really should win handily right? Haven't looked at Pitts schedule except for what appeared to be some ugly early season losses. And have no clue what style of defense they like to play.

Unless of course we have a horrid night like PC and ND where we just can't hit iron. Heck, keep going inside to Hall and Tyson.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: More big guards

Jan 22, 2022, 12:47 PM

Not to beat a dead horse and I hope we win tonight, but Clemson Mens BB needs a new infusion of energy and that is not happening with Brad. Frankly I really like the guy and would have given anything for him to be the one but he is not the one. I remember sitting near the Clemson bench one game when Barnes was here. I forget which player it was but he was one of our best recruits that year, Barnes hit in his face and screamed to him that if he was not going to play defense he was not going to play for him. Brad does not have many of the intangibles that a successful BB coach needs.

Jan 22, 2022, 12:49 PM

Got not hit

Jan 22, 2022, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: More big guards ]

Since judge isn't posting lately, I'll anticipate a question he might have, what intangibles does Brad not have, and two, what intangibles does Brad need.

Now, for me, I don't pretend to know what it takes for a successful bball coach. But point taken, whatever it is, Brad just isn't getting it done. Maybe some is recruiting?

Message was edited by: Clemgalalways®

Jan 22, 2022, 1:48 PM [ in reply to Re: More big guards ]

Maybe some is development. I have no clue but something is missing. 12-13 years is a long time. Yes, he's been better incremental the last few years but the increase is minimal.

Jan 22, 2022, 2:05 PM

He usually has his best or most potentially talented player get good and the rest of the team revolve around him.

Last season it was Simms

Other teams it KJ McDaniels and then Jaron Blossomgame.

The two exceptions were his first team led by Demontez Stitt, Jerai Grant, Andre Young and Tanner Smith

And the sweet sixteen team of Mitchell, Reed, Grantham, Thomas, and DeVoe

You think he would have learned some things with principles of having a balanced team especially with that sweet sixteen team, but things haven't worked out great.

Jan 22, 2022, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Re: More big guards ]

Newby here. Not to Clemson University or fandom, just this site. Graduated 1974.

Used to be a HUGE Basketball fan. Used to know at least 2-3 starters on every ACC team, because you watched them play and develop. 1 and done cured that.

Not for or against Brad, but something must change.....and it's probably him.

What MUST change is we need to get come ball players (I know more than a little about whereof I speak). We might have 1. Maybe none.

Watch Duke, Gonzaga, St Johns, Georgetown, Kentucky, etc...
They are all long, know how to space and run the floor, understand backdoor cuts, pick and roll and play....ball.

You can't keep trying to teach someone to dance who has two left feet and expect a ballerina.

I don't want Clemson to get dirty...and the AAU is certainly that...but if we don't get better Jimmies and Joes, Xs and Os cannot make up the difference over the long haul.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic