Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"The love of money is the root of all evil"
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 2360

"The love of money is the root of all evil"

May 24, 2024, 2:11 PM

Is this the definition of NIL?

Message was edited by: fixed it. Hope you all are happy!! :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Money is the root of all evil"

May 24, 2024, 2:12 PM

Money is not the root of all evil. The "love of money" is the root and what is happening to college football proves it.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Money is the root of all evil"

May 24, 2024, 3:04 PM

The LOVE of Money is the root of "all evil" Very true. Money is needed to function in the world, so it isn't evil in itself. Yes, NIL and the transfer portal are prime examples of this Biblical text. As long as greed and gain rules, it will eventually topple those who worship it. This why many High School athletes are clamoring to schools that support this adage. NIL and the transfer portal has created a
FALSE impression to coaches who want instant gratification", a quick fix to a National Title, and to the young men an instant millionaire/NFL obsession. Yes, the LOVE of money: it makes people have false marriages, builds false friendships/relationships, make politicians lie, causes financial scandals, and
sometimes, buys championships.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RA'd for telling it like it is!!!

May 24, 2024, 3:15 PM

NORRBEE7. Well said!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

James 5:1-6

May 24, 2024, 5:37 PM [ in reply to Re: "Money is the root of all evil" ]

"Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter. You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you."

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you using these verses to point out

May 25, 2024, 8:46 PM

the greedy NIL athletes or the greedy athletic departments/boosters?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Are you using these verses to point out

May 27, 2024, 9:16 AM

I accidentally gave you a thumbs up. I can’t take it back, but I can write a rebuttal. Some of you folks are complaining about the schools/athletic departments being greedy. They are taking that money and re-investing in the schools, I.e. upgrading facilities, improving the programs for the athletes, and funding the athletic programs that do not produce income. It is not like they are stuffing the money into their personal pockets like the players.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They were exploiting the athletes to do that.

May 27, 2024, 9:49 AM

Especially football athletes.

Their entire model is illegal.

Re: James 5:1-6

May 27, 2024, 8:02 AM [ in reply to James 5:1-6 ]

Is He talking to Trump?

Re: James 5:1-6

May 27, 2024, 8:54 AM

Nah it’s more to Biden’s 30 plus years of back door dealings with the Chinese. He is not rich because he made all that money on a government salary. Keep up.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MEG

Money for nothing and the chicks for free...

May 24, 2024, 2:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.” Charles Bukowski

Love that song

May 24, 2024, 3:02 PM

especially the first minute and a half where it is building up to a crescendo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTP2RUD_cL0

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Money for nothing and the chicks for free...

May 27, 2024, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Money for nothing and the chicks for free... ]

How about -

… Welcome to the Machine …

It's the love of money that is the root of all evil and it very well could be.***

May 24, 2024, 2:34 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "The love of money is the root of all evil"

May 24, 2024, 2:58 PM

I thought it was the lack of no money that was the root of all evil.

May 24, 2024, 3:09 PM

Well, they say money doesn't buy happiness, so just call me the melancholy guy with a Maserati.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2024, 10:49 AM

Please get OFF my hood ;)

Just to put it into context ...

May 24, 2024, 3:14 PM

‭1 Timothy 6:6-10 BSB‬

Of course, godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, so we cannot carry anything out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with these. Those who want to be rich, however, fall into temptation and become ensnared by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. By craving it, some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

May 24, 2024, 3:30 PM

I've always said that I don't need a lot, but I need enough...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

May 24, 2024, 5:15 PM

If you have enough dough to make your daily bread....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, it's the definition of the NCAA

May 24, 2024, 9:27 PM

...and their decades of exploiting college athletes for money...lots and lots of it.

Re: No, it's the definition of the NCAA

May 27, 2024, 7:30 AM

Exploited my a**...free education (means little to them) what should be a wonderful time even without weed! They have been supported by someone else since birth...a ward of the state for lack of a better term...activist lawyers and greedy alumni...win at any cost have propagated this disease...it could end just as easily as it started...no performance, no money. Oh and by the way don't make good grades and apply this to every college! Pro football is a small part of any athletes life...some make great money and most squander it cause they never got the education! CLEMENTS has a tough task ahead!

The NCAA model is illegal.

May 27, 2024, 8:07 AM

It dies t get the athletes - especially football - fair market value.

Anyone that argues that a scholarship is fair market value simply doesn't understand either the economics involved or the federal laws that the NCAA got away with violating for years.

Re: The NCAA model is illegal.

May 27, 2024, 8:58 AM

Not sure most on here are the ones not understanding.

Are your post on repeat. All I read is fair market value. Your opinion I get it.

Bluffton OrangeMan

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MEG

Well, that, and the NCAA model violating federal law,

May 27, 2024, 9:52 AM

and the people that cry 'amateurism" pining fir exploiting the athletes.

As opposed to the posters who falsely claim...

May 27, 2024, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Re: The NCAA model is illegal. ]

That a scholarship is "enough", ad nauseum.

Cherry picking, much?

May 25, 2024, 10:47 AM

Words matter ;)

"The people who say money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop"

May 25, 2024, 11:49 AM

Deion Sanders circa 1990

Does this also apply to the roots of southern wealth ala Carolina gold

May 25, 2024, 12:04 PM

It is all over our capitalistic society and the history of our democracy. The love of money forced many- not us or you necessarily- who called themselves Christians and believers to see humans as property. I know- leave it to HBROWN to make it racial- or race bait- nah- it’s about being a broken human being. I am from Charleston , SC and my family line began here in the late 1700’s. I can only speak to the foundations of my own state and city. I see parallels between college students being used to generate billions without fair and equal compensation. Let me say- I am wary about the NIL and pay model- scares me- but the old model is based on privilege where you play only as an accompaniment to an education and access to society that will pay off. Now athletics has become the main money maker and so that displaces the importance and value of the individual student athlete. It is not the student athlete’s fault that college football stock has soared and their value changed- but it is unconstitutional to pay them unfairly as they produce modern day “Carolina gold.”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2024, 1:28 PM

Most misquoted verse in the Bible.

The LOVE OF money is the root of all SORTS OF evil. Many chasing after it have wondered away from the faith.

Context is important too.

I sure hope that Dabo doesn't love all of that money Clemson pays him.

May 25, 2024, 7:17 PM

Since he is the highest paid public employer I'm South Carolina.

Big difference though

May 25, 2024, 7:54 PM

Dabo has
- Been coaching for 30 years and is mid 50s. Started at the bottom and worked his way up.
- Taken Clemson to the college football version of the Promised Land.
- Helped players succeed on and off the field so they can accomplish something beyond college football.
I agree that a lot of college coaches are overpaid though.

Now players just out of high school can get
- scholarship for a paid $100k education with tutoring help not available to the regular student.
- paid in addition to that.
- NIL deals in addition to that.

Where else can recent high school graduates with little to no experience get opportunities for 6 figure incomes? Education is almost secondary at this point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Non Sequitur, much?

May 25, 2024, 8:20 PM

The topic is money, money, money.

Dabo sure has a lot of money, ho matter

May 25, 2024, 8:24 PM [ in reply to Big difference though ]

If he lives it or not.

How is an 18 year old athlete less entitled to whatever paycheck he gets from a NIL contract, tha is anyone else...especially a coach who makes far more?

Re: Dabo sure has a lot of money, ho matter

May 27, 2024, 10:04 AM

Why don't the workers Space X not make us much as Musk?

Because they don't love money as much???******

May 27, 2024, 10:47 AM

Re: Because they don't love money as much???******

May 27, 2024, 11:18 AM

Sure they don't. . How a about a financial adviser at Goldman Sachs? How about sales people at the companies where the top 10 compensated CEOs work? They like money. Google CEO maid over 200 miion last year. How the CEO at Blackstone? HE was somewhere near 300 million last year I believe
There is nothing wrong with how much DABO makes compared to the players.

The difference...Goldman Sachs doesn't do this, nor complain that they can't...

May 27, 2024, 12:36 PM

"Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate."

SCOTUS Justice Kavanaugh
Concurring opinion to the 9-0 majority opinion
NCAA vs Alston

Apples, meet oranges.

Attacking athletes for making less in NIL for their entire careers than Dabo makes in a single year is utterly hypocritical.

May 27, 2024, 10:15 AM

owner of my company married into serious wealth, got a free house on his island, 800k boat, a brand new truck, all for free when his father-in-law passed. He is the most miserable person I have ever met, he is suspicious of everyone, has no friends, children avoid him, thinks everyone is jealous of him, then pounds his chest in front of others about how successful he is when we had to run him out of the company due to his incompetence. The inheritance changed him, he shut himself off from everyone, got paranoid, and now he has no friends.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2024, 10:56 AM

I don’t believe the love of money by the players is an issue. College age students wanting money and taking it when offered is nothing new. Especially when many athletes come from very modest economic situations. The problem is the schools love of money where they did not approve any guard rails or penalties for cheating for fear it would impact their revenue. The other problem is boosters who willingly cheat the system with upfront NIL offers which are not actually supported by a business case other than pay for play.

Replies: 39
| visibility 2360
Tiger Boards - Clemson Football
add New Topic